Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoiding an Avalanche - Game #5
The 2-2-0 Calgary Flames are in Denver Saturday night to take on the 3-1-0 Colorado team. Colorado is sporting a very good goals for (17), goals against (9) ratio and have won 3 games in a row. Goalie Varlamov is sporting a 1.33 GAA and a .955 Sv%! Finnish RW Mikko Rantonen is smoking with 1 goal and 6 assists in 4 games. and I'm guessing his centre, Nathan McKinnon, is a beneficiary as he has 5 goals and an assist in the same time frame.

Meanwhile, good old our side, are licking their wounds a bit after losing to St. Loo last time out. No that they were terribly bad, but a few mistakes cost them dearly that they couldn't overcome.

So how can they avoid an Avalanche? Backup goalie Rittich will have to chronicle a fundamentally solid game. His D (third pairing in particular) will have to tighten up. His forward group will have to continue on the path they've been taking the first 4 games. Skate, skate, and skate some more. Mind the gap and don't get run over by an equally speedy Avalanche.

Game is on SN1 at 8:00 p.m.

Go Flames! Ski fast!

[Image: Skier-Gets-caught-in-Avalanche--68877.jpg]
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , Beerisfood , Beerisfood
[Image: avalanche-warning-sign.jpg]
 Avalanche danger

The Flames have been here before, in Denver for a game they need to win. And the Avalanche offer a number of dangers to that plan, as their goalie can stand on his head, or their star player can run roughshod over the team. Rittich has come here and won, in his first start. Gio has fallen flat on his face here in past contests that cost them playoff position. You get the full spectrum when you visit Denver.

A win here would make the road trip a success, and cement Rittich's spot as a backup. A loss here would cast question on all our goaltending and the structure of the team. Wowzers, that's a lot of cause and effect for game 5 into the season. 

It is so hard to be patient with a team that has made the most changes, besides Anahiem because of injury. So many new pieces have to gel and everyone has to be on the same page. They need to start prepared like against Nashville, not unprepared against St. Louis like they did. So far we have seen Jeckyl and Hyde goaltending from Mike Smith, and rookies behind him that need to perform.

This development will take a while. The defence has been solid offensively, but loosey goosey defensively and that's not gonna win a lot of games. The coaching has to find the right matches, the special teams have to find the right holes. Definitely a work in progress this game #5. So we must not treat this as a life or death, must win kind of game.

Yah right. 

Go Flames GO!

{tumble and fall, Avalanche}

[Image: 1000.jpeg]
Nowhere does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg. He was not all he was cracked up to be.
Thanks given by: Beerisfood , Beerisfood
Who knew Blake Comeau is now on Dallas?
Thanks given by:
I did, I did!
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Wills tweets today's practice line-up

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Jankowski*-Czarnik
Bennett-Dube-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Peluso
Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Stone
Valimaki-Andersson
Prout

Rittich (in starter’s net)
Smith

Backs is a question mark for tomorrow's game apparently. Nor sure what's up with that. While they practiced together, Wills also says that the 2R tandem may be split up and we may see Andersson playing with Hanifin, Stone with Valimaki. I'm surprised Peluso looks like he's in the the third game in a row. He only played a little over 4 minutes last time out.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
They need to get Jankowski back into the lineup. If Backs is able to go, Peluso has to sit.
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
Yeah...,
Peluso offers very little

Gaudreau & Monahan were absolutely destroyed by the Blues.  Almost all of the offense generated while they were on the ice was by St. Louis.

Sam Bennett generated most of the Flames best scoring chances and he will need to build on his effort in St. Louis.

James Neal got his 1st goal and is going to need to build on that.  He has moments that impress, but hasn't played a full solid game yet.

D-Ry managed his 1st goal, but other than that, he has provided very little outside of a few face-off wins.
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
Yeah Doc seems to be easily bounced off of the puck. I'd slide him to RW and sit Peluso.

A Frolik/Jankowski/Ryan line wouldn't be too bad. I am not sure why, or if, Hathaway is in the coaches dog house. Maybe his role this year will be to play the good soldier and make the most of it when he does get in. I can't see Dube or Jankowski going down. I can't see Jankowski riding the pine that much and I don't see him sliding to LW, although you never know.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 04:41 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Yeah Doc seems to be easily bounced off of the puck. I'd slide him to RW and sit Peluso.

A Frolik/Jankowski/Ryan line wouldn't be too bad. I am not sure why, or if, Hathaway is in the coaches dog house. Maybe his role this year will be to play the good soldier and make the most of it when he does get in. I can't see Dube or Jankowski going down. I can't see Jankowski riding the pine that much and I don't see him sliding to LW, although you never know.
I assume Doc is Ryan? Not sure of how he got that moniker.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 09:26 PM)Ramtuf Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 04:41 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Yeah Doc seems to be easily bounced off of the puck. I'd slide him to RW and sit Peluso.

I assume Doc is Ryan? Not sure of how he got that moniker.
Peters saw his initials - D R and decided his nickname was Doc. 

I believe that was in Peewee  Mischief
Nowhere does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg. He was not all he was cracked up to be.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
Obvious now that you pointed that out. LOL
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
And here I was assuming they were trying to let him know a career he would be more suited for...,
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
Wills tweets today's projected lines

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Dube-Neal
Ryan-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone

Rittich (Starter)
Smith

Frolik and Peluso are out, Garney and Janko are in. 3 and 4 defense pairings have changed. Rittich starts.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Was just gonna post this.

Frolik rewarded for his 2 tripping fouls last game, methinks.

I notice the Defensive adjustment too.
Thanks given by:
I think Peluso has had his audition and the Garney will provide that energy we need on the 4 line. Janko brings the size that we were missing on that line the last couple of games. Not sure about shifting Doc to LW though.

We'll see how Rasmus plays with Hanifin. I thought the Hanifin/Stone pairing was very good the last couple of games. Maybe Stoner will solidify Valimaki's game.

Rittich? I have a good feeling about him being in the line-up.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Things that will solidify Valimaki's game

1.  a little more coaching and experience
2.  a goalie who knows where the net is
3.  forwards who can back-check instead of skating past the puck
Thanks given by:
Steinnerd tweets

Bill Peters on his lineup changes tonight: “We didn’t play very well the other night.”

Frolik and Peluso out, Jankowski and Hathaway in.

On the Frolik scratch, Peters says he’s been missing “a little bit of pace and a little bit of attention to detail.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
I would translate Peters' comment to mean "Get your head out of your ass and skate!"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Wes Gilbertson tweets

Head coach Bill Peters on Michael Frolik, a healthy scratch tonight against Avs: “He’s a real good pro. I talked to him this morning, and he’ll be in here soon enough. And when he gets his opportunity to come back in, I expect him to stay in.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
Well boys , is this a night we get some saves or another normal night where we can’t stop a beachball ?  Just wondering because we can win this thing if good goalie comes to play .  Mischief
Thanks given by: