Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baseball America: 2017 Blue Jays Top 10 Prospects
BA did their annual look at the Jays' top 10. I'm most surprised that they've given Vladdy Jr a 60 hit tool and 70 power at just 17 years old. Pretty exciting stuff to look forward to.

You see a kid with that kind of body and can envision the power but perhaps have reservations about athleticism or swing. Doesn't seem like that's going to be an issue.

Zeuch and Bichette have impressed in short time as they were just drafted this past June.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/20...prospects/

1. Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3b
2. Anthony Alford, of
3. Sean Reid-Foley, rhp
4. Conner Greene, rhp
5. Richard Urena, ss
6. Rowdy Tellez, 1b
7. T.J. Zeuch, rhp
8. Bo Bichette, ss
9. Jon Harris, rhp
10. Justin Maese, rhp
Thanks given by:
Harris must've had another rough year to warrant that kind of drop. I had high hopes for him.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
I like what I am reading about Vladdi Jr...

still some development to do, and it still should be a few years til we see him in the bigs...but that bat is projecting very well.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-26, 05:08 PM)lewis94 Wrote: Harris must've had another rough year to warrant that kind of drop. I had high hopes for him.

Harris was 6th on last year's list and I think he still profiles as a mid-to-back of the rotation starter. I wouldn't say he dropped as much as Tellez gained and Bichette and Zeuch were added through the draft.

If Bichette didn't play a premium position (shortstop) I doubt he would be that high in the rankings. I could actually see a drop from him next year if he moves to 2B or the outfield, which is definitely a possibility.
Thanks given by:
Is it safe to say DJ Davis is a bust? At one point he was highly touted, but he seems to have stalled at the A level.

Interestingly the two prospects acquired in the Lirano trade don't make the Top 10. The system might be deeper than I thought.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-26, 08:57 PM)Unreal Wrote: Is it safe to say DJ Davis is a bust?  At one point he was highly touted, but he seems to have stalled at the A level.

yeah, things aren't looking good.

his bat is just not progressing...rather regressing...

21 now...hasn't made it above A ball...after 5 years in the system. 

his BA dropped to Ryan Goins levels...has no power to speak of.

too bad.  looked like a good first round pick.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-26, 06:08 PM)Chris D Wrote: I like what I am reading about Vladdi Jr...

still some development to do, and it still should be a few years til we see him in the bigs...but that bat is projecting very well.

Well, keep in mind that he would be in grade 11 if he  lived in the states. So any projections should be taken pretty lightly (personally i think its kind of insane to list a 17 year old as a teams best prospect) But it is certainly a good start.
Thanks given by:
even crazier when he was what, #4 on last years list, as a 16 year old?

indeed though...still time for things to stall, or go bust with him...but like I said..I like how things are progressing.
Thanks given by:
Bo bichette is dante's son, right?
Thanks given by:
Yep. He is one of Dante's two sons actually. He has an older son named Dante Bichette Jr who I believe is was drafted by the Yankees and is not much of a prospect.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-26, 09:17 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-10-26, 06:08 PM)Chris D Wrote: I like what I am reading about Vladdi Jr...

Well, keep in mind that he would be in grade 11 if he  lived in the states. So any projections should be taken pretty lightly (personally i think its kind of insane to list a 17 year old as a teams best prospect) But it is certainly a good start.

And at 17 I'm not even sure he's done growing. With his body type his weight could be an issue and I don't think there's a chance in hell he stays at 3B. He's probably a future 1B or DH which would zap a little of his value.

Next season will be a big one for him. Rookie ball isn't much of a test for someone with such an advanced bat. He also stole 15 bases and that alone says something about the quality of opposition there lol. Someone with a 35 speed tool might not steal 15 over an entire major league career.

If his bat develops as hoped then obviously his lack of defensive ability and speed won't matter much. Just puts a bit more pressure on him to become that .280/30 homer guy everyone wants to see.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sold on Alford being that high, hopefully he proves me wrong. He reminds me a lot of DJ Davis actually. They must like Alford's potential a lot more, since they are basically identical ages (Alford is 5 days older), same height, just Alford has 35 pounds on Davis.

Alford's power was the biggest difference this season, neither one of them hit for average or got on base at that high of a clip, playing on the same team.
Thanks given by:
I think the biggest difference between Alford and Davis is that Davis was a full-time baseball player coming out of high school. Alford didn't commit full-time until 2015 - he was a quarterback at Ole Miss for a couple years I think. He's already showing a power/speed combo and the ability to get on base that Davis never could.

Unfortunately for Davis the projected power never came around. And even without the power he hasn't been able to use his plus-plus speed because he can't hit worth a damn. He's looking like a total bust at this point. Which should really string considering the Dodgers picked Corey Seager with the pick right after Davis in the 2012 1st round.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-30, 02:14 PM)shadylane Wrote: I think the biggest difference between Alford and Davis is that Davis was a full-time baseball player coming out of high school. Alford didn't commit full-time until 2015 - he was a quarterback at Ole Miss for a couple years I think. He's already showing a power/speed combo and the ability to get on base that Davis never could.

Unfortunately for Davis the projected power never came around. And even without the power he hasn't been able to use his plus-plus speed because he can't hit worth a damn. He's looking like a total bust at this point. Which should really string considering the Dodgers picked Corey Seager with the pick right after Davis in the 2012 1st round.

it would sting no matter who the Jays picked...even if not considered a bust...Seager is just on another planet right now.
Thanks given by:
Any of these prospects in the top 100 for MLB?
Thanks given by:
Reid-Foley, Alford and Greene cracked baseball america's mid season top 100. They ranked 84, 86 and 90.
Thanks given by:
Reid-Foley (76) and Alford (86) also appear on MLB.com's Top 100.

Keith Law, Baseball Prospectus and MinorLeagueBall.com all did top 50 mid-season rankings but I don't believe any Blue Jays made those.
Thanks given by:
Wonder where Gurriel fits into this list
Thanks given by:
Eric Longerhan (fangraphs scouting guru) said the reviews on him are mixed and that given his age (23) he is still a bit of a project.

Probably in the 4-5 range based on that. Could go higher though.
Thanks given by:
don't know what to make of this rumour, but if it happens could be Jose replacement?

6. Mark Trumbo, 31, 1B/OF/DH
Timing is everything, and Trumbo will cash in after leading the league in home runs. Look for him to get Nelson Cruz-type money (four years, $57 million) with an American League club that can use him at DH. Like Trumbo, Cruz also used a one-year deal in Baltimore as a springboard to a career payday.
Interested teams: Blue Jays, Orioles, Yankees, Braves
Duquette's prediction: Blue Jays

8. Mike Napoli, 35, 1B/DH
Napoli's 30-homer power, postseason experience and lack of a qualifying offer will help him get a three-year deal at roughly $15 million per season. The fact that he plays a decent first base also helps.
Interested teams: Blue Jays, Indians, Twins, Mariners
Duquette' prediction: Indians

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/208612164/...new-teams/
No Place to Run, No Place to Hide!!
Thanks given by: