Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baseball America: 2017 Blue Jays Top 10 Prospects
Yeah, that throw from Hicks' was the fastest Statcast tracked all year from an outfielder. I imagine there are also some catchers who could also throw low to mid-90s if they were on a mound and took a proper windup. Gary Sanchez and Christian Bethancourt come to mind.
Thanks given by:
The Padres actually plan on using Bethancourt as a reliever this year. They put him on the mound in a blowout last year and he kind of shocked everyone So they put him in another game later in the season as well. His avg 4 seamer was 93.3 mph and he has been used out of the pen this spring.
Thanks given by:
Hopefully the Jays stay away from using Goins and/or Barney on the mound again...

I know that instance was out of necessity, but Goins ended up hurt, and Jays lost anyway.
Thanks given by:
(2017-03-30, 03:07 PM)Andrew Wrote: The Padres actually plan on using Bethancourt as a reliever this year. They put him on the mound in a blowout last year and he kind of shocked everyone So they put him in another game later in the season as well. His avg 4 seamer was 93.3 mph and he has been used out of the pen this spring.

I didn't realize that but it kinda makes sense. The two fastest throws from a catcher to 2B last season according to Statcast were thrown by Bethancourt.
Thanks given by:
Not to mention that he cannot hit for shit, lol.

It will be interesting to watch though. Apparently they plan to use him as some sort of reliever/catcher/OF hybrid.
Thanks given by:
That's awesome. I love quirky baseball stuff like this.
Thanks given by:
Eric Longenhagen did his Blue Jays prospects write-up a couple days ago:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-17-pr...blue-jays/

The system overview is at the end of the article and includes this noteworthy piece:

This system is the equivalent of the No. 1 through No. 4 seeds all reaching the Sweet 16 in a given NCAA tournament regional. The top of the system is entirely stocked with early-round picks and high-profile signings but possesses no pop-up prospects or late-round interlopers to speak of. Vanilla though it may be, it’s not a bad system and is sturdy enough to withstand an efflux of talent should the big club require another piece or two by mid-summer.
Thanks given by: