Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benning on Virtanen
https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/statu...0327658496

Don't think JB has any interest in moving Jake and rightfully so. I still see Jake as a core piece. He's still only 22 years old. He's a versatile player that can play up and down the lineup. He had 15 goals last year, plus, how many times did he hit the post last year? 6-7? if those would go in then we'd be talking about him as a 20+ goal scorer.
Thanks given by: C_Squared
Music to my ears. I'm bullish on Jake, and always have been. With the addition of Miller and Ferland, along with last years acquisitions of Roussel and Motte, Jake is primed, absolutely primed for a great season, barring injury. Finding a guy like Jake in free agency or the draft is damn near impossible, so having him in the fold is just so important, and I'm relieved Benning sees things the same way.
(2019-07-11, 01:06 PM)Alexis25 Wrote: He had 15 goals last year, plus, how many times did he hit the post last year? 6-7?

Jake hit 7 posts last year, the same as Nikolay Goldobin, according to nhl.com's stats. That ties them both for #16th in the league in that stat.
Thanks given by: C_Squared , Canucksfansince1989
22 and trending upwards. Why in the world would you trade him?
Fast, strong, ridiculous shot, Players like him are very hard to find.

After this coming season, JV18 will be considered a key piece of the Canucks core
Where I live, it's always Saturday afternoon just before the beach bars close.

Thanks given by:
Is he only 22? Seems like he's been around forever.

Oh, 23 before the season starts. Still, not fully developed and likely a value contract at $1.25M (and an RFA when done).

You'd like a bottom six guy with speed to PK - maybe he can add that?
Thanks given by:
To me if point totals have topped out that's fine if he can tighten up his d game that's good enough a body that big that can move that fast is basically designed to be an awesome bottom 6 player.

Him and Ferland on the same team is a nightmare for the other team's defense.
I’ll be polite... right up until I’m rude
- Ash Williams (2015)
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-11, 09:25 PM)Bure Wrote: To me if point totals have topped out that's fine if he can tighten up his d game that's good enough a body that big that can move that fast is basically designed to be an awesome bottom 6 player.

Now yer comin around bud!!!  Grin

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: Canucksfansince1989
Just like I said, it would be stupid to trade JV for cap space. Yes, it would give us more cap room if you used him to move Eriksson, but come on man, even if we are a playoff contenders, we are no Stanley Cup contender... not this soon anyways. Also, it doesn’t take much of a genius to figure out his future value. This is about the time power forwards begin to wreck it. And even if he tops out as a 20 goal 40 point guy, that makes him pretty indispensable for a team that needs that kind of production throughout their lineup.

We will see some moves and they won’t likely include a budding bulldozer like Jake.
Thanks given by: C_Squared
(2019-07-11, 11:16 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2019-07-11, 09:25 PM)Bure Wrote: To me if point totals have topped out that's fine if he can tighten up his d game that's good enough a body that big that can move that fast is basically designed to be an awesome bottom 6 player.

The pick was still shit
I’ll be polite... right up until I’m rude
- Ash Williams (2015)
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 02:43 AM)Bure Wrote:

The pick was still shit

But necessary. Miller > Andrei Burakovski > Andrew Shaw >= 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Thanks given by:
It all depends on the return. If some GM has a hard on for Jake and wants to blow his load on the return than i say nice knowing you.

I know he's a bit of a late bloomer but hes not Cam Neely or Todd Bertuzzi. I doubt he becomes a 30 goal guy unless he goes to Edmonton, TO, or Pittsburgh and even then.
Thanks given by:

Ha ha! Ferlund - Miller - Jake.
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 09:56 AM)KahunaBaby Wrote: It all depends on the return. If some GM has a hard on for Jake and wants to blow his load on the return than i say nice knowing you.

I know he's a bit of a late bloomer but hes not Cam Neely or Todd Bertuzzi. I doubt he becomes a 30 goal guy unless he goes to Edmonton, TO, or Pittsburgh and even then.

Neely wasn't a 30 goal guy either. UNTIL Gordon traded him to BOSTON.. and he was like 21. Jake: Local guy who is one of the fastest in the league.. and he can do spot duty on the PP too
Thanks given by:

The pick was still shit

Who would you have taken? Nick Ritchie? Dunno who else really is that much better.. Give me a name
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 11:00 AM)Highstyx Wrote:

The pick was still shit

Who would you have taken? Nick Ritchie? Dunno who else really is that much better.. Give me a name

Wow....Nylander and Ehlers comes to mind.

I know i know....soft euros but you always take skill over size.
Thanks given by:
I only assumed Jake was considered expendable because of the players we picked up. I was hoping I was wrong. And I hope Benning is being honest about not moving him. Hes the perfect guy going forward. He hasnt performed to much that he can ask for serious money. He will be affordable going forward.

I very much expect him to be in that 50 point 2nd line winger.

Now with the ferland signing for 3.5mil. I don't know if we really needed J.T. but I digress. We need to move some contracts out. And we need to do it now. (I'm being impatient)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 11:11 AM)KahunaBaby Wrote:
(2019-07-12, 11:00 AM)Highstyx Wrote:

The pick was still shit

Wow....Nylander and Ehlers comes to mind.

I know i know....soft euros but you always take skill over size.

But Nylander and his Dad are a major pain in TO's side, contract wise, and Ehlers disappears in the playoffs and is a subject of trade rumors. Nothing is simple.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
Dylan Larkin >> Nylander/Ehlers
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 11:25 AM)Alexis25 Wrote: Dylan Larkin >> Nylander/Ehlers

Braydon Point over pretty much everyone else taken in that draft...  A pick EVERYONE missed in the 1st round... 

As I've already said 52 Million times, or thereabouts, EVERY GM misses out on star players , and EVERY GM that's been in the league for a few years has taken a guy in the 1st that turns out to be less than expected.

When compared to certain players taken in the 14 draft, JV wasn't the best choice... but he still has a very good chance to become a top 9 guy... and his speed and his size aren't likely to change any time soon... 

He was NOT, IMO, a shit pick, as some so eloquently put it...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
(2019-07-12, 12:10 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2019-07-12, 11:25 AM)Alexis25 Wrote: Dylan Larkin >> Nylander/Ehlers

Braydon Point over pretty much everyone else taken in that draft...  A pick EVERYONE missed in the 1st round... 

As I've already said 52 Million times, or thereabouts, EVERY GM misses out on star players , and EVERY GM that's been in the league for a few years has taken a guy in the 1st that turns out to be less than expected.

When compared to certain players taken in the 14 draft, JV wasn't the best choice... but he still has a very good chance to become a top 9 guy... and his speed and his size aren't likely to change any time soon... 

He was NOT, IMO, a shit pick, as some so eloquently put it...

What’s hilarious is that many of the people who brag about having wanted to pick Nylander and Ehlers would’ve probably been happier had Dal Colle fallen to us. Heck, Sam Bennett hasn’t been much better than JV and is basically settling in as a bottom six player for Calgary.
Thanks given by: SAVARYGUY