Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best falafels in town
http://www.chickpeasottawa.com/

Just off the Riverside exit of Queensway.

By far the best I have had in Ottawa, feel free to challenge this claim, but tell me location and i'll check it out myself.

Just thought we could talk about something that invokes happiness around here.
Thanks given by:
That place is a hidden gem. I've been there once and it was awesome. Friggin had to move out of Ottawa and was angry i didnt go here sooner. Owners are awesome as well!
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-08, 10:18 PM)bicboi Wrote: That place is a hidden gem. I've been there once and it was awesome. Friggin had to move out of Ottawa and was angry i didnt go here sooner. Owners are awesome as well!

I lived in Toronto before, but can't say I had falafels as good as these.

You into dosas? Again something I discovered in Ottawa. Wasn't really introduced into indian cuisine until I got here.
Thanks given by:
The one at the bottom of a trash can.
Thanks given by:
Never heard of chickpeas, i'll have to check it out.

Shawarma palace is my go to (after my mom)
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 04:47 AM)Nuclearsun Wrote: The one at the bottom of a trash can.

nonono you have not tried these falafels yet, now I can't stand to order falafels from shawarma places.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 06:13 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote: Never heard of chickpeas, i'll have to check it out.

Shawarma palace is my go to (after my mom)

they punch hole in middle like a donut to have outside crispy but still moist inside. Eating it there is the way to go since they fry it on the spot for you.

Although the take out version is still good (better than other places in ottawa), just not as good as when they are off the fryer.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 11:33 AM)FashionPolice Wrote:

nonono you have not tried these falafels yet, now I can't stand to order falafels from shawarma places.

Because those aren't real falafels. They're just a powdered mix of spices and beans/chickpeas and they add water then fry it.

I haven't tried the new place at Trainyards but i've also heard good things.
Thanks given by: FashionPolice
(2018-08-09, 01:03 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:
(2018-08-09, 11:33 AM)FashionPolice Wrote:

Because those aren't real falafels. They're just a  powdered mix of spices and beans/chickpeas and they add water then fry it.

I haven't tried the new place at Trainyards but i've also heard good things.
Exactly, now I hold my nose up at other places selling "falafels".
Thanks given by:
I don't know what falafels are but the best Shawarma's in the city is Matar's..Bank and Albion..charcoal grilled to perfection..
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 06:05 PM)Mavid Wrote: I don't know what falafels are but the best Shawarma's in the city is Matar's..Bank and Albion..charcoal grilled to perfection..

?????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falafel

My second or third favourite vegetarian food, depending on my mood.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 06:07 PM)FashionPolice Wrote:
(2018-08-09, 06:05 PM)Mavid Wrote: I don't know what falafels are but the best Shawarma's in the city is Matar's..Bank and Albion..charcoal grilled to perfection..

?????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falafel

My second or third favourite vegetarian food, depending on my mood.

Deep fried..they have to be good, next time I will try some

Thanks given by:

Didn't know you lived in Ottawa, I know that family, nice people however the food you just described is not shawarma as it's not grilled on charcoal....this is shawarma:

[Image: 6779213_gXfL94GFGv4t1Oj-oONtXQGl9ROZeep2cYmr3LUUCT0.jpg]

[Image: 2458166_McO9rYk4xmVPAGGPKyfUv7C-2tOpocXZDCOK_3-iY4s.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 06:43 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:

Didn't know you lived in Ottawa, I know that family, nice people however the food you just described is not shawarma as it's not grilled on charcoal....this is shawarma:

[Image: 6779213_gXfL94GFGv4t1Oj-oONtXQGl9ROZeep2cYmr3LUUCT0.jpg]

[Image: 2458166_McO9rYk4xmVPAGGPKyfUv7C-2tOpocXZDCOK_3-iY4s.jpg]
LOL..not the meat, the bread after he puts all the ingredients in he warms it on a real charcoal grill.. all Shawarma is cooked on that roundy thing. I don't know what his real name is..I have always called him Jehad Joe..at his request..been buying my food there for years..I have tried others some are decent, but his are by far the best..I have been in Ottawa for the last 45 years, prior to that I lived in Montreal.

Thanks given by:
(2018-08-09, 07:59 PM)Mavid Wrote: LOL..not the meat, the bread after he puts all the ingredients in he warms it on a real charcoal grill.. all Shawarma is cooked on that roundy thing. I don't know what his real name is..I have always called him Jehad Joe..at his request..been buying my food there for years..I have tried others some are decent, but his are by far the best..I have been in Ottawa for the last 45 years, prior to that I lived in Montreal.

I see what you're saying, yes some places will place the pita wrap on the grill to toast it and it tastes fantastic.
Thanks given by:

Thats weird as I pass that at least a couple of times a week and only ever noticed it while sitting at the lights on Tuesday.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 04:45 AM)Nuclearsun Wrote:

Thats weird as I pass that at least a couple of times a week and only ever noticed it while sitting at the lights on Tuesday.

Its a pretty small place..there is also a small grocery store in there as well..his cousin owns the one beside Rideau bakery but its not as good. Their farm is out in Osgoode somewhere

Thanks given by:
To be honest, Matar's is far from the best place to get Shawarma in Ottawa, it might be Mavids go to place but shawarma is really not their specialty. Honestly theres way too much shawarma in Ottawa and they're all kind of different in their own way, believe it or not I don't have a "best" place because I enjoy alot of them in different ways. If i had to pick one though I'd say the original Shawarma Palace on Rideau downtown is still the best.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 02:14 PM)Ryu65 Wrote: To be honest, Matar's is far from the best place to get Shawarma in Ottawa, it might be Mavids go to place but shawarma is really not their specialty. Honestly theres way too much shawarma in Ottawa and they're all kind of different in their own way, believe it or not I don't have a "best" place because I enjoy alot of them in different ways. If i had to pick one though I'd say the original Shawarma Palace on Rideau downtown is still the best.

Its true there is way to many..not sure what you think Matar's specialty is if its not Shawarma..they have salads, that meat on a stick..fried chicken..their #1 draw is the sandwich..

Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 02:49 PM)Mavid Wrote:
(2018-08-10, 02:14 PM)Ryu65 Wrote: To be honest, Matar's is far from the best place to get Shawarma in Ottawa, it might be Mavids go to place but shawarma is really not their specialty. Honestly theres way too much shawarma in Ottawa and they're all kind of different in their own way, believe it or not I don't have a "best" place because I enjoy alot of them in different ways. If i had to pick one though I'd say the original Shawarma Palace on Rideau downtown is still the best.

Its true there is way to many..not sure what you think Matar's specialty is if its not Shawarma..they have salads, that meat on a stick..fried chicken..their #1 draw is the sandwich..

It could be now, since they have a full halal menu they used to be my go to place for fried chicken at one point, they've gone through too many changes though even at one point selling pizza (not sure if they still do) so it's possible they've put more focus on Shawarma now as I find places like that which have too many random selections on their menu end up losing their identity. I'm a fan of restaurants that specialize in a few dishes as opposed to trying to have everything.
Thanks given by: