Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Beware the Boogiemen - Game #46
Bob 'The Boogieman' Boughner's Florida Panthers will be in town tomorrow night to face the Flames in the first match-up of the season between these two clubs. It is a game 2 of a 6 game home stand for the Flames (not counting a side show in Edmonton on the 19th) and could be considered a key game for them. It's key because they need to get some separation between themselves and the rest of the pack (that insist on crowding them in the Division standings). It's key to the Flames because despite a successful road trip and win over Colorado last night, they haven't been firing on all cylinders. Bad habits are creeping in. Their game pace isn't what it was and they find themselves going to sleep for long periods of time and getting themselves outshot and out chanced.

Florida's coach Boughner didn't mince too many words after their last game in Pittsburgh when they lost their 3rd straight.

“You have two shorthanded goals and it is unacceptable. We won the draw on the one, we go down for a breakout, get it picked off and it’s in the back of your net. Next one it’s the same thing. Those guys have been good all year on the power play and tonight when we need them the most, we’re in a playoff push, you have two or three guys that are just out to lunch.”

Florida has (going into Edmonton) a 17-17-7 (41 points) record this season. They can't seem to keep the puck out of their own net (all goalies Sv% is less than .900), but they're pretty lethal scoring (10th in the league, 4th on the PP). Huberdeau and Barkov are both scoring at over a point per game with Mike Hoffman not too far behind.

I'm putting the thread up early as today will be a practice day for the Flames to iron out some kinks. They may not have a game day skate tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll iron out some kinks and Peters was talking about inserting Mangiapane into the line-up.

Whatever line-up they settle on, the Flames will have to beware of the boogiemen coming to town. They can't take their opponents lightly even if this might be considered to be an 'easy' game.

Game is on SNW at 7:00 pm.

Go Flames Go!

Beware the Boogiemen!
[Image: giphy.gif]
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , Ramtuf , Beerisfood
Hoping Bob has figured out what a lethal weapon he has in his lineup when he unleashes the BROUWERPLAY!!!!
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , FlameFilosi4 , KNilsson14
(2019-01-10, 12:40 PM)Beerisfood Wrote: Hoping Bob has figured out what a lethal weapon he has in his lineup when he unleashes the BROUWERPLAY!!!!

Laugh Laugh
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Did you say the Panthers are having goalie problems??

I think Treliving might have the solution they are looking for!!  According to Eric Francis, this guy is the greatest puck-handling goalie of all-time!!
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
Here's a tweet from Darren Haynes

Not gonna lie. Derek Ryan is the Johnny Gaudreau of face-offs right now. My look at the ‘art of the draw’ — shoutout to whoever left this title suggestion in the comments area.

I don't have access to his column in the Athletic and maybe I've been napping, but I haven't noticed Ryan's prowess on the face-off dot. So I went to the site https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/ca...stats.html

If you toss the outliers that don't take face-offs on a regular basis - Tkachuk and Bennett - the club leader is none other than Derek Ryan with a 57.78% success rate.

Others:

Lindholm 54.24%
Jankowski 52.12%
Backlund 50.25%
Monahan 49.19%

Benny isn't to shabby. He's taken 40 face-offs and has won 60% of them.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
The Flames practiced today, but nothing was published about their projected line-up.

This piece by Wes Gilbertson did though. I think Tre won't want to tinker too much.

STILL NOT SATISFIED
Flames say they have a "better team game" to get to as homestand continues

An excerpt:

Given three changes in the coaching staff, including the head knock, key personnel additions/subtractions and the exhibition-season journey to China and back, these Flames have adapted quickly.

"That's why I wanted to stay here," said Backlund, who signed a six-year extension a shade less than a year ago. "I believed in this group. I thought last year we had way more in us than we got out. I don't know why that was, but I felt we had a lot of good players in here.

"So it's no surprise to me that we're playing well."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-10, 06:16 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Here's a tweet from Darren Haynes

Not gonna lie. Derek Ryan is the Johnny Gaudreau of face-offs right now. My look at the ‘art of the draw’ — shoutout to whoever left this title suggestion in the comments area.

I don't have access to his column in the Athletic and maybe I've been napping, but I haven't noticed Ryan's prowess on the face-off dot. So I went to the site https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/ca...stats.html

If you toss the outliers that don't take face-offs on a regular basis - Tkachuk and Bennett - the club leader is none other than Derek Ryan with a 57.78% success rate.

Others:

Lindholm 54.24%
Jankowski 52.12%
Backlund 50.25%
Monahan 49.19%

Benny isn't to shabby. He's taken 40 face-offs and has won 60% of them.

If he was the Johnny Gaudreau of face-offs, his winning % would be 75-80%.  As we have said before, you have to be able to do more than just take a face-off.  He has 8 hits in 44 games..., that is terrible.  He manages to score despite playing poorly, but so did Glencross.

Bennett was not moved away from C because of face-offs.  He was leading the team last year when he got moved to wing.  I think he's gained enough confidence in those other areas of the game, it wouldn't be that big a problem to move him back to center.   Its more about having 3 guys who are playing well and 1 guy who the coach has a long-standing relationship with.
Thanks given by:
Good thing I started this thread early. Shaw cable, phone, and internet have been down since 5:30 pm. No ETA for resumption of service.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 08:43 AM)Nanuuk Wrote: Good thing I started this thread early. Shaw cable, phone, and internet have been down since 5:30 pm. No ETA for resumption of service.
Hmmmm Cox Cable seems fine  Cool
That 9th goal really took the wind out of our sails. - J. Tortorella, Columbus
Thanks given by:
The fibre optic line is damaged. Widespread outage in Alberta and Sask. Not all areas though.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Sportsnet was goofed up in my area last night but all other channels seems to work fine.
Tried to tune into the Oilers game and it was flashing on and off like a strobe light with no sound.
I just assumed it was caused by Lucic scoring the other night and all the Oilers fans taking to the internet with their "I told ya so, here we come" comments.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , FlameFilosi4 , Nanuuk , Nanuuk , Suity
Service was restored in my neck of the woods just before 9 a.m. Other areas in Sask. and Alta. are still out. Shaw says two different fibre optic lines were damaged. Now what are the odds of that happening at the same time? It would be like a serial killer driver picking up a serial killer hitch-hiker.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
Steinnerd tweets Rittich was in starter's net at this morning's optional skate. It will be BSD's fourth start in a row.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: Suity , FlameFilosi4 , FlameFilosi4
Steinnerd also tweets

Hathaway and Prout skating late. Looks like they’ll be scratches tonight.

Mangiapane and Kylington look like they’ll come in
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4
Projected line-up is:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Sam Bennett
Michael Frolik - Mark Jankowski - James Neal
Andrew Mangiapane - Derek Ryan - Austin Czarnik

Mark Giordano - T.J. Brodie
Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic
Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson

David Rittich

Interesting that Hathaway sits, Czarnik takes his 4RW for the second game in a row. I think Peters/Tre want to get a good read on Mangiapane and Czarnik going forward. While Czarnik is signed to 2019-20, Mangiapane is an RFA, and Garney is a UFA.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
A lot of things I like about this line up:
1. Bennett is back on #2 *
2. Frolik is back on #3 *
3. We get to see Mangiapane again
4. Mangiapane is not at the expense of Czarnik
5. Kylington is back in the line up at the expense of Prout
6. Rittich
7. No Hathaway
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
Yeah maybe the 4th line will do the pinning instead of being pinned.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: Beerisfood
(2019-01-11, 04:06 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Yeah maybe the 4th line will do the pinning instead of being pinned.
I think the 4th lines that Peters puts out do the job they were intended for, and any scoring is just a bonus.

The 4th line disappears in the 3rd in every Peters game as he whittles down the forwards to the top 9. In a few rare circumstances that includes a 4th liner. But you should expect them to get 5 to 7 minutes unless they kill penalties.

Like Hathaway does. Did I hear someone call him and his 5 goals the worst offence? I dont think so.
That 9th goal really took the wind out of our sails. - J. Tortorella, Columbus
Thanks given by:
Peters has shortened his bench quite often and that's usually when we are behind. Lately the 4 line hasn't been good in my opinion (not like they were at the beginning of the season) and get out hustled. I'm not saying that's all Hathaway's fault. Not by a long shot. On the RW no one has really seized the job. Same goes for the LW where the likes of Mangiapane, Dube, Lomberg, Rychel, Quine have all rotated in.

With the talent level that the Flames have they should be able to roll a high energy 4 line that is strong on the forecheck and play the body. Many nights Hathaway is the best of the bunch.

But that doesn't mean the Flames aren't looking for more consistency, speed, and grit. I think that's why Peters is still experimenting even at this point of the season. They're still not happy with the overall make-up of the line.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 05:37 PM)FlameFilosi4 Wrote:
(2019-01-11, 04:06 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Yeah maybe the 4th line will do the pinning instead of being pinned.
I think the 4th lines that Peters puts out do the job they were intended for, and any scoring is just a bonus.

The 4th line disappears in the 3rd in every Peters game as he whittles down the forwards to the top 9. In a few rare circumstances that includes a 4th liner. But you should expect them to get 5 to 7 minutes unless they kill penalties.

Like Hathaway does. Did I hear someone call him and his 5 goals the worst offence? I dont think so.

Of those 5 goals he has..., 3 of them are GWG.  He may not get many, but he seems to get important ones.
Thanks given by: FlameFilosi4 , FlameFilosi4