Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays Offseason Discussion
(2019-01-12, 01:59 PM)shadylane Wrote: I'm also glad that Rogers is open to eating all this money instead of being stubborn and trying to squeeze more out of Tulo and Martin. Opens up more roles for the kids, which is a good thing.

But but but Rogers sucks! Their cheap and dont care!
Thanks given by:
lol that narrative grants people an instant-block from me on Twitter. You can present all the evidence to the contrary over the last 5-6 years and they still don't see it.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 01:59 PM)shadylane Wrote: Martin's going to be missed in that clubhouse, that's for sure. But I'm interested to see if McGuire can grab the backup catcher role away from Maile, and potentially be good enough to pull starts away from Jansen.

I'm also glad that Rogers is open to eating all this money instead of being stubborn and trying to squeeze more out of Tulo and Martin. Opens up more roles for the kids, which is a good thing.

Yet another example that Rogers is a fantastic owner.

Eating that much cash to expedite a rebuild shows real dedication.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 12:47 AM)Unreal Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 01:59 PM)shadylane Wrote: Martin's going to be missed in that clubhouse, that's for sure. But I'm interested to see if McGuire can grab the backup catcher role away from Maile, and potentially be good enough to pull starts away from Jansen.

I'm also glad that Rogers is open to eating all this money instead of being stubborn and trying to squeeze more out of Tulo and Martin. Opens up more roles for the kids, which is a good thing.

I'm not sure that makes them a fantastic owner in the sense they were going to pay these guys regardless. If anything they will get a bit of cost savings with Martin. That said it is good that the focus is on the future and that they value more playing time for their younger players immediately as opposed to drawing it out longer.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 02:51 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2019-01-13, 12:47 AM)Unreal Wrote:

I'm not sure that makes them a fantastic owner in the sense they were going to pay these guys regardless. If anything they will get a bit of cost savings with Martin. That said it is good that the focus is on the future and that they value more playing time for their younger players immediately as opposed to drawing it out longer.

But now they're paying them to play for someone else. As an owner, that's a tough pill to swallow.
Thanks given by:
way to big to be real

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/blue-jays-...GB2koFLtaQ
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-16, 08:54 PM)onoilfan Wrote: way to big to be real

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/blue-jays-...GB2koFLtaQ

Nothing more than a "it would be nice" comment.
Thanks given by:
Machado would be cheaper and they still wouldnt be in on him due to where they are right now. Eventually they will have to add a vet bat to stabilize Guerrero but now isnt the time
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-17, 12:09 AM)Sportking Wrote: Machado would be cheaper and they still wouldnt be in on him due to where they are right now. Eventually they will have to add a vet bat to stabilize Guerrero but now isnt the time

the left bat is the need that why a pipe dream like Harper is the better fit
Thanks given by:
I think Harper's more of a fit not because of the handedness but because of organizational depth. The system has a wealth of good infielders while the outfield looks like a problem both on the big league roster and in the minors.

But if Machado could be had for anything remotely close to the 7/175 figure reported, 30 teams should be jumping on that. His career is on a Hall of Fame trajectory and historical comps say this level of player ages very, very well from ages 27 through 33. The Jays would still have some exceptional years from Machado once their competitive window opens again.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 10:44 PM)shadylane Wrote: I think Harper's more of a fit not because of the handedness but because of organizational depth. The system has a wealth of good infielders while the outfield looks like a problem both on the big league roster and in the minors.

But if Machado could be had for anything remotely close to the 7/175 figure reported, 30 teams should be jumping on that. His career is on a Hall of Fame trajectory and historical comps say this level of player ages very, very well from ages 27 through 33. The Jays would still have some exceptional years from Machado once their competitive window opens again.

Could Machado not then play third shifting Vladdy to the outfield?
Thanks given by:
Vlad hasn't played a single professional inning in the OF so I don't think they'd want to do that. They wouldn't need to move anyone in this scenario really. Eventually Bichette could play 2B, a position he might be destined for anyway.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 10:44 PM)shadylane Wrote: I think Harper's more of a fit not because of the handedness but because of organizational depth. The system has a wealth of good infielders while the outfield looks like a problem both on the big league roster and in the minors.

That's why I wondered if they'd go after a free agent.

Someone like Harper is young enough that he'd still be in his prime when they're ready to contend.

Of course, I'm sure they don't want to sign anyone to a very long term deal. Machado at that rate would be a good signing, all things considered.
Thanks given by:
(Today, 12:09 AM)Unreal Wrote: Someone like Harper is young enough that he'd still be in his prime when they're ready to contend.

Yeah that's the key with these two players. They aren't entering free agency when a lot of others do, like at age 29 or 30.

The one issue I can see preventing the Jays from seriously going after Harper or Machado is that the players will almost certainly want opt-outs in their contract. JD Martinez being a recent example. He signed a 5-year deal but can opt-out after each of the next three seasons, potentially giving the Red Sox only two years of his services. For a rebuilding team like Toronto that would be money very poorly spent if Harper bolted only a year into the team's competitive window, or potentially before it even begins.
Thanks given by: