Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays Offseason Discussion
I have faith in Norris on the mound.. off the field is a different story. Not exactly the most likeable guy.
Thanks given by:
Should there be any concern with Vladdy's ever expanding waist line? Atkins says not, but how can there not be?

19 & he's already built like CC Sabbathia & Cecil Fielder
Thanks given by:
I think almost everyone expects him to move off 3B by his mid-20s. His bat has always been his calling card.
Thanks given by:
I think people are exaggerating the weight issue.

sure, he is not as trim as other guys...but he is 6'1 200....not 300pnds like CC. Cecil Fielder was listed as 230. Prince Fielder was 275. (granted, none of them played 3rd)

Not saying he will stick at 3rd long term, I wouldn't doubt a move to 1st at all...but I don't his build is a concern at the moment. As long as he can competently play 3rd (which he is seemingly doing, or they would have moved him already), I don't think its an issue. He has shown his athleticism.
Thanks given by:
From what I've read, he's got an above average arm. I wonder if he'll eventually spend some time in LF.
Thanks given by:
Got this a few minutes ago from MLB email. Jays are 5th overall in minor league depth!

5. Toronto Blue Jays

Blue Jays' Top 30 Prospects | Breakdown

Top 100: 5 – Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B (1); Bo Bichette, SS (11); Danny Jansen, C (65); Nate Pearson, RHP (76); Eric Pardinho, RHP (98)

Prospect Points (MLB Rank): 254 (7)

The mere presence of Vladimir Guerrero Jr. -- MLB's No. 1 overall prospect and one of the most vaunted hitting prospects in baseball history -- makes the Blue Jays’ farm system noteworthy. But it’s the organization’s deep crop of potential impact talent -- both hitters and pitchers -- that has its system up three spots from last year’s preseason list. The Blue Jays' commitment to scouting and player development is reflected by the number of homegrown players on the club’s new Top 30. In total, 24 players have entered the system via the Draft or as international signees, and that includes every player in the top 13 spots on the list.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-10-farm-systems-in-mlb
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-01, 12:08 AM)Chris D Wrote: I think people are exaggerating the weight issue.

sure, he is not as trim as other guys...but he is 6'1 200....not 300pnds like CC.  Cecil Fielder was listed as 230.  Prince Fielder was 275. (granted, none of them played 3rd)

Not saying he will stick at 3rd long term, I wouldn't doubt a move to 1st at all...but I don't his build is a concern at the moment.  As long as he can competently play 3rd (which he is seemingly doing, or they would have moved him already), I don't think its an issue.  He has shown his athleticism.

Vlad Jr. is actually 6'2 250lbs.

Thanks given by:
(2019-03-02, 03:14 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:
(2019-03-01, 12:08 AM)Chris D Wrote: I think people are exaggerating the weight issue.

sure, he is not as trim as other guys...but he is 6'1 200....not 300pnds like CC.  Cecil Fielder was listed as 230.  Prince Fielder was 275. (granted, none of them played 3rd)

Not saying he will stick at 3rd long term, I wouldn't doubt a move to 1st at all...but I don't his build is a concern at the moment.  As long as he can competently play 3rd (which he is seemingly doing, or they would have moved him already), I don't think its an issue.  He has shown his athleticism.

Hm...bad (or not updated info) on my part.

Can look up 3 different sites, and get 3 different weights

But still...st this point, it's not too much of an issue.
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-02, 03:33 PM)Chris D Wrote:
(2019-03-02, 03:14 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:

Hm...bad (or not updated info) on my part.

Can look up 3 different sites, and get 3 different weights

But still...st this point, it's not too much of an issue.

To stir the pot, I'll point out that Vladdy was thrown out at the plate, today. Is he carrying too much weight, and is it hurting his speed?
---
"Obviously, probably, you know, scoring probably helps." - Carey Price
Thanks given by:
Part of the problem is Vladdy's grandmother lives with him & cooks his meals.

Typical Dominican meals consist of beans,  chicken & rice,  so I don't know what grandmas cooking up,  but it's making him FAT!
Thanks given by:
If he's not careful, he could be the next Pablo Sandoval. Good, but only played 150+ 3 times in his career and burned out by 30.

I think once he's in the big leagues for good they'll keep his weight in check. The minors aren't healthy for anyone.
Thanks given by:
Morales traded to Oakland?
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-27, 07:15 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote: Morales traded to Oakland?

room made for Tellez I guess.  He should be able to replace whatever Morales would have provided.

Morales wasn't going to be here next year anyway.

its obviously not about Jesus Lopez...not even in the A's top 30 prospects.

Jays free up some more money, add some INTL spending money, have some lineup flexibility to get more youth in the lineup.
Thanks given by:
So if Stroman and Sanchez have really solid starts to the season, do you sell high on them or try to lock one or both up longterm? Seems all the baseball analysts say we'd sell them.

But if one or both could find consistency and be a middle to upper rotation starter again, isn't that something we really need?
Thanks given by:
I'd be selling on Sanchez. Boras client that will run IMO. Though I was under the impression he was under control for just 2 years, but recently read it's still 3. So that changes things a bit. If it's 3, Sanchez is definitely in the picture for 2021 when they can make a run again hopefully.
Thanks given by: Sportking , Sportking
Who is the more marketable of the two?...I would say Stroman.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by: LordFerg13