Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Jays acquire Julian Merryweather to complete Josh Donaldson trade
There was a kid at my high school who was pretty good at sports in general, and I recall a conversation years later in which a friend of mine said this kid could've made MLB if he put a little more effort in.

Even then, I couldn't help but think he was completely out of touch with just how good one has to be to play at the professional level. The vast majority of athletes who look like stars in high school don't amount to anything (as athletes) at higher levels.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-28, 12:08 PM)Unreal Wrote: There was a kid at my high school who was pretty good at sports in general, and I recall a conversation years later in which a friend of mine said this kid could've made MLB if he put a little more effort in.

Even then, I couldn't help but think he was completely out of touch with just how good one has to be to play at the professional level. The vast majority of athletes who look like stars in high school don't amount to anything (as athletes) at higher levels.

Even if junior athletes have the talent and work ethic to make it big, sometimes luck just isn't on their side. I went to grade school with a kid who was supposed to be a future star for Canadian soccer, he made it to TFC where he was a middling prospect and a knee injury took him out for good. Dalton Pompey went to grade school with my brother, dude wasn't even that good at sports and now he's on the Jays lol. Its crazy how stuff like that can happen
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 12:18 AM)thebest41587 Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 01:07 PM)Andrew Wrote: Yeah the jump from college player to MLB player is pretty massive compared to other sports. MLB is really the only sport where a draft pick, at least a high one, is not expected to make an immediate impact. Its pretty rare for them to even make it to the majors in under 3 years. Dont get me wrong, all sports are hard at even the high amateur level. But the difference between College baseball and MLB is just massively, unbelievably huge. I mean, the season is over 5x longer for starters lol.

And that is just college. Alot of kids are drafted out of high school. Which is why scouting is so damn hard. How do you project an 18 year old who played like 30 games total and all of them against other 16-18 year olds. Its frankly amazing they get it right as often as they do lol.

I played pretty high level hockey and even played against some current NHLers (assuming they havent retired, god when did i get so old lol). And while I'm under no illusion i could ever compete in the NHL i never felt ridiculously out of place even against the best of the best. If you put 18 year old me out for 1 shift in the NHL i would not be good by any means but I would not embarrass myself.

I was an even better baseball player then I was hockey player and I'm dead certain that even an AA pitcher would completely embarrass me lol.

Yeah I would agree with that for sure. I actually scored a hat trick against a goalie that ended up in the NHL as a backup for several years, and covered a guy centre vs centre in a local rivalry a few times that carved out a 400+ game career in the NHL as well. And those are just guys local enough I found out about. No idea who made it from teams I faced in tourneys, etc. 

As for baseball, I played up 1 or 2 age groups all the time, but unless we were playing a weaker team I would usually struggle. I just happened to live in an area that didn't have much ball for my age group and I eventually moved to soccer. But playing up an age group in hockey, I never felt like I couldn't compete. In baseball, I felt like I had to play good defensively to have a chance at making a difference, cause I knew my bat wasn't. And some games I did, I had a really good arm at one time, but for the most part I felt like I was above my head for sure. Hockey not even for a second did I feel that. 

I was a better hockey player than baseball player, but I would definitely say baseball is tougher than hockey.

Thanks given by: