Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brendan Shanahan signs 6 yr extension with the Maple Leafs
Shocked 
Hope this doesn't mean 6 more years of Babcock

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/bren...-307391444
Thanks given by:
I'm glad he's staying. After so many shitty years it was the Shanaplan that turned this franchise around. The first one to commit to rebuilding the right way.
(2019-05-14, 03:30 PM)Sportking Wrote: Hope this doesn't mean 6 more years of Babcock

Naah,. if what Dubas says that no one is safe, then took the time to say to the media Babs will be back next season sounds like he could be on the hot seat.. OKeef is on the Marlies itchibng to take over.. I;d give Babs one more shot and if its yet another game 7 first round exit.. he;s gone. O
Keef is the next coaching prospect for the Leafs.. No way they will let thsi guy.. Anyone remember what appened with Crawford when he was coaching the baby Leafs and let him go.. he wins a couple cups not long after.. Shanny and co wont be making the same mistake and Babs should know Okeef is on his door step knocking to kick him out of his spot.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 03:40 PM)LordFerg13 Wrote:
(2019-05-14, 03:30 PM)Sportking Wrote: Hope this doesn't mean 6 more years of Babcock

Naah,. if what Dubas says that no one is safe, then took the time to say to the media Babs will be back next season sounds like he could be on the hot seat.. OKeef is on the Marlies itchibng to take over.. I;d give Babs one more shot and if its yet another game 7 first round exit.. he;s gone. O
Keef is the next coaching prospect for the Leafs.. No way they will let thsi guy.. Anyone remember what appened with Crawford when he was coaching the baby Leafs and let him go.. he wins a couple cups not long after.. Shanny and co wont be making the same mistake and Babs should know Okeef is on his door step knocking to kick him out of his spot.
Have to respectfully disagree LF. I am looking at that Dubas is on the hot seat not Babcock! Dubas took a Nylander to the ‘brink’ and then gave him a blank cheque! Same with Matthews and now Marner next. The Leafs under is still without a good defence, lacks a reliable backup goalie and still faced with our problem child Kadri. Then we may lose one of Kapanen or Johnsson. Yes the farm is in great shape under Dubas but he has yet to prove to some of the fan base that he is a big league GM! Keep in mind I was one of a few on here that thought the Leafs front office made the wrong choice and I stand by that thinking today! Also don’t expect many to agree with me but what a boring place this would be we all agreed 100% of the time. Grin
Thanks given by:
Dubas isn't going anywhere and he certainly isn't on any hot seat. He will need to do some creative maneuvering this off season but his job is safe at present. Babcock will be fired long before Dubas will and rightfully so IMO.
Thanks given by: CuttingEdge , MisterZ
Shanahan is the single best thing that's happened to the Maple Leafs in the past ~15 years.

JFJ/Burke/Nonis led the team to missing the playoffs every year but one (and that was a short 48 game season much more prone to luck), including finishing bottom 10 for 6 of those years. Despite that lack of success, they just kept on chugging along with stupid "win now" moves. ZERO ability to learn from past failures. Bad contracts, trading top picks/prospects, continued throughout ~8 years of the salary cap era with those bozos.

Shanahan comes in, unloads bad contracts (Phaneuf, Clarkson, etc), sends other bad contracts to "Robidas Island", brings in some top respected names in the business via Lou and Babcock, brings in bright non-NHL talent like Dubas and Mark Hunter, FINALLY starts the rebuild beefing up our farm system immensely, puts a major focus on the Marlies and turning them into a world class AHL organization, etc.

All the success we've had the last few years stems from his long-term vision and his ability to bring in quality people. Definitely trust him running the show long-term, and I hope he's here even longer than that.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf , CuttingEdge
I can't imagine that deals like the Nylander and Matthews/Marner deal get signed without approval from Shanny.

To me, Dubas will outlast Babcock.
Thanks given by: LordFerg13
I imagine that Nylander Matthews get their deals with Hunter or Lou as well.  Also you can thank Lou for the contracts he gave out to Marleau/Zaitsev for creating the cap crunch.

Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 04:43 PM)tmleafer Wrote: Shanahan is the single best thing that's happened to the Maple Leafs in the past ~15 years.

JFJ/Burke/Nonis led the team to missing the playoffs every year but one (and that was a short 48 game season much more prone to luck), including finishing bottom 10 for 6 of those years. Despite that lack of success, they just kept on chugging along with stupid "win now" moves. ZERO ability to learn from past failures. Bad contracts, trading top picks/prospects, continued throughout ~8 years of the salary cap era with those bozos.

Shanahan comes in, unloads bad contracts (Phaneuf, Clarkson, etc), sends other bad contracts to "Robidas Island", brings in some top respected names in the business via Lou and Babcock, brings in bright non-NHL talent like Dubas and Mark Hunter, FINALLY starts the rebuild beefing up our farm system immensely, puts a major focus on the Marlies and turning them into a world class AHL organization, etc.

All the success we've had the last few years stems from his long-term vision and his ability to bring in quality people. Definitely trust him running the show long-term, and I hope he's here even longer than that.

I remember when Tim Leiweke came on board years ago before Shanahan and was supposed to be the guy to turn it all around. But he didn't stay long enough for us to truly see his vision and how good he is.
Thanks given by: MisterZ
(2019-05-14, 05:34 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote:
(2019-05-14, 04:43 PM)tmleafer Wrote: Shanahan is the single best thing that's happened to the Maple Leafs in the past ~15 years.

I remember when Tim Leiweke came on board years ago before Shanahan and was supposed to be the guy to turn it all around. But he didn't stay long enough for us to truly see his vision and how good he is.

Tim Leiweke brought in Shanahan (Leafs), Masai Ujiri (Raptors), and Tim Bezbatchenko (Toronto FC). Leafs, Raptors, and Toronto FC have all had more success in the past ~3-4 years than they'd had in the previous 10. 

I remember an interview with him where he said something like "Leafs management felt like they were the smartest guys in the room, and I had to remind them that they've been failing, and failing for years. They needed a wake up call". Something along those lines, and I loved hearing that breath of fresh air.
Thanks given by: TheNumber13 , TheNumber13 , CaperLeaf , MisterZ

Leiweke did his job.......hired Shanahan, hired Masai, and hired Tim Babachenko for TFC.

All franchises turned around nicely. His work was completed and he left for the next challenge.
Thanks given by: tmleafer
Damn, I forgot he did all that. I remember he had a big ego and wouldn't likely mesh well with Burke.
Thanks given by: CuttingEdge
(2019-05-14, 05:52 PM)tmleafer Wrote:

Tim Leiweke brought in Shanahan (Leafs), Masai Ujiri (Raptors), and Tim Bezbatchenko (Toronto FC). Leafs, Raptors, and Toronto FC have all had more success in the past ~3-4 years than they'd had in the previous 10. 

I remember an interview with him where he said something like "Leafs management felt like they were the smartest guys in the room, and I had to remind them that they've been failing, and failing for years. They needed a wake up call". Something along those lines, and I loved hearing that breath of fresh air.

Sorry TML, we must have been typing similar responses simultaneously  Happy
Thanks given by:
Beat you by 1 minute lol Silly
Thanks given by:
Shanny said it best. 

Always going to have caps issues while contending.

So to me it sorta shows Dubas is safe for now and if Babs continues his disaterous line combos isn’t.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-15, 08:47 PM)LordFerg13 Wrote: Shanny said it best. 

So to me it sorta shows Dubas is safe for now and if Babs continues his disaterous line combos isn’t.

Quote:As long as we are hopefully a Stanley Cup contender, we will have cap issues. Toronto should just get used to that. It doesn’t mean we aren’t prepared. It doesn’t mean Brandon Pridham doesn’t have a board, a two-year plan, a six-year plan. We have all of those things. It is not easy. Not everyone is privy to the plans or the workings that Kyle is doing, but it will always be a challenge. That is just something that we should just accept and embrace. Just about every team that has a consistent ability to challenge for a Stanley Cup will have cap issues.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2019/05/1...-shanahan/

Maybe Shany needs to clarify what constitutes a Stanley Cup contender?

I don't think a team that had to exit the first round 3 years in a row is a contender. This is especially true when that team needs to basically give away players to become Cap compliant.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 02:26 PM)hobster Wrote:

Quote:As long as we are hopefully a Stanley Cup contender, we will have cap issues. Toronto should just get used to that. It doesn’t mean we aren’t prepared. It doesn’t mean Brandon Pridham doesn’t have a board, a two-year plan, a six-year plan. We have all of those things. It is not easy. Not everyone is privy to the plans or the workings that Kyle is doing, but it will always be a challenge. That is just something that we should just accept and embrace. Just about every team that has a consistent ability to challenge for a Stanley Cup will have cap issues.

I don't think a team that had to exit the first round 3 years in a row is a contender. This is especially true when that team needs to basically give away players to become Cap compliant.
Chicago Blackhawks has to do the same for a few yrs. give up players to keep under the caps. This is the price to have a contender. If fans don’t like it. They could always cheer for the Sens  this is the price we gotta pay to have a Matthews or Marner or JT etc on the same team. The cap is changing. The players want more and the players will get more. These Mathews and Marner and JTs are going to get paid because how good they really are and because of Matthews. Marner and few others who have been here the past 3 yrs have made playoff contenders right from their rookie yr. ppl forget more half the team we rookies 3 yrs. and the brass has preached over and over there will be bumps in the row. If they can fix DEFENCE. This team could mine up a level.
Thanks given by:
If the Leafs have very good depth like some say they do. Then giving up on some players for those players to come up and take over at a cheaper rate
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 02:53 PM)LordFerg13 Wrote:

Chicago Blackhawks has to do the same for a few yrs. give up players to keep under the caps. This is the price to have a contender. If fans don’t like it. They could always cheer for the Sens  this is the price we gotta pay to have a Matthews or Marner or JT etc on the same team. The cap is changing. The players want more and the players will get more. These Mathews and Marner and JTs are going to get paid because how good they really are and because of Matthews. Marner and few others who have been here the past 3 yrs have made playoff contenders right from their rookie yr. ppl forget more half the team we rookies 3 yrs. and the brass has preached over and over there will be bumps in the row. If they can fix DEFENCE. This team could mine up a level.

Chicago did the same after winning a Cup, their core was proven, TO's core is well paid.
Thanks given by: CuttingEdge
(2019-05-16, 03:47 PM)hobster Wrote:
(2019-05-16, 02:53 PM)LordFerg13 Wrote:

Chicago did the same after winning a Cup, their core was proven, TO's core is well paid.

Harsh but true.

I guess the current era is a bit different than the Hawks glory years. It seems that around the league (not just Toronto) the money is being given out based on potential........so it’s not a direct parallel.

But I agree with what you are saying Hobster.
Thanks given by: