Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyouts
So Holland actually said he is still mulling over buyouts and are not off the table.

Did not indicate who, but here are some possible ones and the salary saved this year;

Kris Russell $3.083 million
Andrej Sekera $3.0 million
Milan Lucic $2.375 million His is just brutal the next 2 years after)
Sam Gagner $2.133 million
Brandon Manning $1.33 million

No clue if he tags one of these, but I really doubt Loooch will be bought out, more so the Trade to Vancouver looking likely
Thanks given by:
Ya, that was the one part of the interview with Nugent Brown that I didn't like - where he said he was considering buyouts (but hadn't made any decisions).

I can’t think of a single player where it makes sense to buy them out this off-season.

Only someone like Manning and they could bury him in the AHL for only a couple hundred grand more without the extra new term penalty. It does get him off the 50 man though…..

Sekera? No way – don’t buy out legit NHL d-men (very possibly legit NHL 2nd pairing d-men) and add 2 years of term.

Lucic? Way too egregious.

Gagner? Ya, maybe, but, given organizational depth, he’s the “skill” we need in the bottom 6 – I am in favor of a trade to Ottawa for a very middling asset – Ottawa buys him out and the Oilers sign him at a third or half the current price.

Russell? Nah - they may be able to trade him clean and, if not, I would think they'd be able to trade him with $1M retained which essentially is the same as the buyout with the extra dead cap term (and likely a middling asset back).
Thanks given by:
No buy outs please
Thanks given by: Pouzar , Pouzar
I can’t see a case in which a buy out would make sense.. 

So I don’t get why we would?
I disagree, but I respect your right to be stupid.
Thanks given by:
Buyouts start tonight at midnight

Holland stated at the Soirée that he would have sufficient room in the cap to do what he wants to do.  

So we are going to see if any come our way in the next few days

No clue who
Thanks given by:
I don't see the benefit of buying out a single player under contract with the Oilers but Holland did say he was considering it.
Thanks given by:
I think Holland will first look to trade for a bottom 6 need or later picks to clear space so he can do what he wants

If he can't offload cap through the above methods and he has plans for additional space he'll need to upgrade the roster then yes, a buy out makes sense.

He will obviously try to improve the roster this off season (as he should) and he needs cap space to do it. The benefit of a buy out should be obvious / cap space to imrpvoe the roster. ....

Thanks given by: maclintock
I can't think of a single player where the benefits of some immediate cap space outweigh the negatives.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-12, 11:15 AM)maclintock Wrote: Kris Russell $3.083 million
Andrej Sekera $3.0 million
Milan Lucic $2.375 million His is just brutal the next 2 years after)
Sam Gagner $2.133 million
Brandon Manning $1.33 million

Wow, that's just depressing.  Add Koskinen to the list?  What is his buy out scenario?
Thanks given by:
It makes no sense to buyout any of the players listed in my opinion.
Thanks given by:
I don't think we should or will buyout a player, but if we're making a list, I think Koskinen should be on it as well.  Behind Lucic, it's probably our worst contract.
Thanks given by:
I think he is doing his due diligence in mentioning buyouts. 

I don't want any to happen, but mentioning them might only be part of posturing pre-trades.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 12:44 PM)Fritz Wrote: I don't think we should or will buyout a player, but if we're making a list, I think Koskinen should be on it as well.  Behind Lucic, it's probably our worst contract.

I'd argue that Koskinen might be our worst.

With Lucic, he was a still a useful player when it was signed - his game just happened to fall off a cliff after 1 year into the 7 year deal.  With Koskinen, he was a shitty goalie the day the contract was signed.
Thanks given by:
Koskinen's contract has the potential to be the 2nd worst (to Lucic) but we know he's going to be here in October and buying it out simply isn't an option.

Personally, I don't think it should be either - taking away that buyouts are terrible to start with (a retained salary trade would be the better method of disposition), we need to give the player and the contract at least a chance. I've been as hard on Koskinen as anyone but I am hopeful that he has a better year and can provide at least average level starting tending for 50-55 games.

Maybe having a full year of adjustment will help him with his angles. Even without an upgrade externally, the defence should be better. Sekera back in the lineup from the start of the year is a big deal and a healthy Klefbom (yes, for now at least) will be great and make Larsson better. If they are able to move on from Russell perhaps the new addition to the third pairing (be it Jones, Lagesson, Persson, etc.) really helps - Sekera back plus a healthy Klefbom plus any of those new additions will certainly help the transition game.

Not to mention, better depth in the bottom 6 will help team defence in general.

Better team defence and transitioning the puck out of the zone, etc. - that SHOULD help the tending.

Here is hoping at least.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 01:40 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 12:44 PM)Fritz Wrote: I don't think we should or will buyout a player, but if we're making a list, I think Koskinen should be on it as well.  Behind Lucic, it's probably our worst contract.

With Lucic, he was a still a useful player when it was signed - his game just happened to fall off a cliff after 1 year into the 7 year deal.  With Koskinen, he was a shitty goalie the day the contract was signed.

Hopefully Kostco can focus on playing goal instead of babysitting JP.
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 12:42 PM)Pouzar Wrote: It makes no sense to buyout any of the players listed in my opinion.

Lucic makes no sense. The rest, maybe.

I see it this way. If Holland has a deal cooked up that seriously addresses a major long term top 6 forward need or a top Dman need but needs the cap space to make it happen, and he doesn't have takers in a trade of one of the buy out options for lower picks or non roster prospects to clear that space, then his out to get that needed space is a buy out or two.

I just don't think it's as linear as purely looking at the buy out - it's part of a more complex look at cap and roster management.

Thanks given by: teamblue
(2019-06-14, 01:40 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote:

It is our worst, by far. You can’t bury him in the line up, like you can Lucic. Our salary structure for that position will likely be blown out of whack, just trying to get a decent player in that position. Not to mention, it hasn’t even started.
Thanks given by:
Remember when we bought out Gryba and traded for Petrovic?

Those were the blurst of times.
Thanks given by:
Remember when we traded Gordon for Korpikoski, who had a longer contract? Then bought him out after only one season? For no real reason.
Thanks given by:
Phaneuf bought out
Thanks given by: