Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calder Trophy Candidates
Brock Boeser #7

7. Brock Boeser, RW, Vancouver Canucks

Don’t sleep on Boeser. He arrived in Vancouver late last season with NHL-ready polish, joining the Canucks after a great college career at North Dakota. Boeser scored four goals in nine games. He doesn’t have stiff competition for playing time on a rebuilding Canucks team. He’s a legit threat to lead Vancouver in goals as a rookie.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/articl...or-2017-18

I think he has a great chance of winning the Calder next year myself.

Thanks given by:
He sure looked good in his short stint last year.

Where do most Canuck fans have him slotted in the lineup?
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:35 PM)Pouzar Wrote: He sure looked good in his short stint last year.

2nd line with Horvat and Baertschi.

Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:35 PM)Pouzar Wrote: He sure looked good in his short stint last year.

I think Canuck fans are of two minds:

1. He's shown that he's ready for the NHL, so there's no point in keeping him in the minors. Start him with the team, probably fitting in with C Bo Horvat and LW Sven Baertschi, since he has a complementary skill set.

2. There's no rush to get Brock into the NHL, and there's potential harm to be done by expecting too much from him too soon.  Let him play in Utica, learn the pro game, and call him up when needed.

I'm not sure what the consensus here is.  My heart says option 1, but my head says option 2.
Thanks given by: nicky
Interesting, I would assume, given his play last year, unless he has a terrible camp, he opens with the team.
Thanks given by:
I don't know anything about Boeser, what's so good about him? His college stats look good but his 5points in 9 games seem just above average. Not trolling, just want all y'all Nucker opinions on what he brings to the team.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:55 PM)bicboi Wrote: I don't know anything about Boeser, what's so good about him? His college stats look good but his 5points in 9 games seem just above average. Not trolling, just want all y'all Nucker opinions on what he brings to the team.

He SEEMS to have a natural gift for scoring goals... which in Canuckland is very rare... whether he is a natural scorer over the long term in the NHL remains to be seen.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:55 PM)bicboi Wrote: I don't know anything about Boeser, what's so good about him? His college stats look good but his 5points in 9 games seem just above average. Not trolling, just want all y'all Nucker opinions on what he brings to the team.

He's got a laser of a shot. Accurate too. Great character. And just like Horvat, he's mature beyond his age.

Thanks given by: nicky
(2017-08-11, 04:04 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:

He's got a laser of a shot. Accurate too. Great character. And just like Horvat, he's mature beyond his age.

Hey Bic,

That's a valid question from anyone who didn't see Boeser play last year.

Just to add to what Canuxxxer said, Boeaser can use the slapper, snapper and wrister with laser accuracy but more importantly is that he can get it off quickly. He can one time cross ice passes and he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas of the ice. When he holds onto the puck to shoot his release is very deceptive according to  Ryan Miller. 

Boeser adapted to the NHL very well and this season opposing coaches will adapt their defensive plans to account for Boeser. It's a cat and mouse game where a player has to keep adapting to what defenses throw his way as for any player who achieves any type of productive stretch.

As Savary said, Boeser looks very promising, the hope and expectations to a certain degree have him continue to build on what he did last season. He only needs a fraction of a second to get that shot off, that alone makes it tough to defend.

With young players there is no 100% unless it's a generational talent.
Thanks given by:
Where would he be on the PP? Can he be where OV is positioned to test his slapper and even QB it sometimes? The versatility of his shooting ability will.make for some fun experiments for the coaching staff eh?
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 06:18 PM)bicboi Wrote: Where would he be on the PP? Can he be where OV is positioned to test his slapper and even QB it sometimes? The versatility of his shooting ability will.make for some fun experiments for the coaching staff eh?

Yup,

Boeser can be moved around like OV. He also plays net front and then move moves to the high slot to take a pass and shoot.

Nobody here is saying he's the second coming of OV or Brett Hull but he has good instincts to get open and use that quick release of his to get open. 

If he gets more than 15 goals this season on a bad Canucks team it will be a good season for him. Getting 25 goals would not surprise me either. 

How the new coach in Travis Green will also make a difference.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:37 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:

1st
2nd line with Horvat and Baertschi.

Wink

sedins are finished as 1st liners this year. they have been more than we could ask for but its time to step back

as for boeser he was on pace for 36 goals over a full season,  don't know if he would actually hit that this season but hes gotta be a serious threat for the calder I have been thinking he would be since the season ended
Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man.

Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 06:18 PM)bicboi Wrote: Where would he be on the PP? Can he be where OV is positioned to test his slapper and even QB it sometimes? The versatility of his shooting ability will.make for some fun experiments for the coaching staff eh?

if  your old enough to remember, Laugh Laugh Laugh  trying remembering Brendan shanahan on the powerplay

he reminds me a lot of that
Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man.

Thanks given by:
I'm going to disagree in that Boeser is closer to Brett Hull than Brendan Shanahan who was 6'3" and 229 lbs. Boeser is 191 lbs about the same weight as Hull, although Boeser is 3 inches taller.

Here are all of Boeser's NHL goals

[Image: watch?v=-sGQZHsX8GM][Image: watch?v=-sGQZHsX8GM]

Thanks given by:

Thanks given by:
That's a very impressive list. Boeser only needs a fraction of a second to release the laser. There are 4 players that appear more than once on that list
Thanks given by:
I expect Boeser to be in the NHL this season, unless he absolutely takes a tentative step backwards and that is visible at training camp.    

It is time that Canucks got lucky with an early bloomer.....however Ab is correct,  no reason to rush anyone as it fails more often than not.  
Rushing is relative though and in Boesers case might not apply.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-12, 11:40 PM)topgun Wrote: That's a very impressive list. Boeser only needs a fraction of a second to release the laser. There are  4 players that appear more than once on that list

Boeser's shot reminds me a lot of Naslund. Quick release and accurate.

Thanks given by:
I don't think Boeser has the supporting cast to win the Calder.

Our team isnt terrible. but it still lacks scoring. If we can't put the puck in the net he won't be in the Calder race.
Thanks given by: