Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
I actually did read The Big Shift. It's a fast read, although dated already. (Ibbotson's theory on immigration voting was disproven in the last election Silly )
You'll get through it in a couple of days.  It's worth the effort.
Thanks given by:
Mind=blown that this thread was bumped but not for the new Harry Potter book.
Thanks given by:
Isn't is more of a screenplay than a book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-02, 06:18 PM)Cornholio Wrote: I actually did read The Big Shift. It's a fast read, although dated already. (Ibbotson's theory on immigration voting was disproven in the last election Silly )
You'll get through it in a couple of days.  It's worth the effort.

That's shitty part about poli sci and current events. If you aren't ahead of the game, you're behind the times. 

I've always put The Big Shift off because it is a 2013 book. It was on sale on iTunes for $12 so at the price I thought it was worth it. 

By the way, have you got your hands on Black Earth yet?
Thanks given by:
Thanks for reminding me. I only flipped through it and then had to return it to the library as it was nearly overdue by the time I finally got around to read it. It's different from what I was expecting from what I gathered in the intro.
Will reserve it again.
Thanks given by:
I urgently suggest you do.

It is a unique read. Not high on entertainment value but very educational, eye opening, and does an incredible job of addressing many of the ideas our revisionist history has created over the years.
Thanks given by:
Someone gave me a copy of Unbroken...I can't put the damn thing down.

I used to be really in to reading about WWII when I was a teenager; read a lot of books about the aerial war...dogfights, things like that.

I had forgotten how much these types of stories intrigue me.
Thanks given by:
Wait'll you get to the Billy Graham part. It really picks up then.
Thanks given by:
Got around to reading The Girl On The Train. I thought it was OK but had the ending figured out probably 2/3's of the way in. Interesting story, but not sure it's deserving of the hype.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-07, 11:19 AM)Cornholio Wrote: Wait'll you get to the Billy Graham part. It really picks up then.

Ya, the post war period was markedly less enthralling...will likely still try to see the movie at some point.
Thanks given by:
If anyone's interested in baseball this one is an entertaining, easy read.

The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team by Ben Lindbergh & Sam Miller
https://www.amazon.ca/Only-Rule-Has-Work...1627795642

Essentially, two statheads were given the keys to an independent minor league ball club in California and told to run it as they saw fit. It's pretty funny and I was quite jealous reading it haha.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 08:24 PM)shadylane Wrote: If anyone's interested in baseball this one is an entertaining, easy read.

The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team by Ben Lindbergh & Sam Miller
https://www.amazon.ca/Only-Rule-Has-Work...1627795642

Essentially, two statheads were given the keys to an independent minor league ball club in California and told to run it as they saw fit. It's pretty funny and I was quite jealous reading it haha.

Terrific reviews online. I think I'll add this to my christmas wish list.
Thanks given by:
Is it fiction or real?
Thanks given by:
It's a real story of the Sonoma Stompers 2015 season.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 08:13 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2016-11-07, 11:19 AM)Cornholio Wrote: Wait'll you get to the Billy Graham part. It really picks up then.

Ya, the post war period was markedly less enthralling...will likely still try to see the movie at some point.
If I remember correctly, the movie skips that part.

60 Minutes did a feature on Zamperini, they interviewed 'The Bird' also.
https://youtu.be/c3-S3_j9j-8
I don't recall exactly how much Unbroken covered Watanabe's post war life, but it's an interesting tale.
Thanks given by:
I've got about a dozen books I gotta read between now and Feb 1.

Just finished reading "The Tunnels: Escapes Under the Berlin Wall and the Historic Films the JFK White House Tried to Kill" (http://gregmitchellauthor.com/books/the-...tunnels-hc)

Excellent retelling of escapes made at the Berlin Wall. There were a couple times where my heart was racing as Mitchell told the stories of escapes and those who helped people escape. I highly recommend it.

Just started reading "The United States of Jihad" by Peter Bergen. So far so good. Bergen wrote one of my favourite books (Manhunt which is about the search for bin laden). I assume this will be a great read as well.
Thanks given by:
I've been moving at a snail's pace but I'm reading Stephen King's book on JFK and time travel. So far so good.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-31, 04:25 PM)encore Wrote: I've been moving at a snail's pace but I'm reading Stephen King's book on JFK and time travel. So far so good.

Well, at that pace you'll certainly experience Time Travel!  Wink
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Finished United States of Jihad. It wasn't as in depth as I was hoping but it was a pretty good read nontethless. It challenges some of the preconceived notions of terrorists and the terrorist threat facing the US. For example, not one terrorist studied for the book (330 terrorists) was an refugee from the Middle East. All were American, either raised or born in the US and classified as American citizens.

The book is also fairly effective at showing the incompetence of American intelligence agencies and their relatively high level of luck. Attacks aren't thwarted; they fail.

That wasn't very comforting.

Now gonna start The Great Degeneration by Niall Ferguson. It's a 150 pager (small pages to boot). So it should a couple hour read. Hope to have it read before hockey tonight.
Thanks given by:
TOF you have time to read books on top of all the law school reading?!
Thanks given by: