Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
lol
Larsson croaked after completing his 'trilogy'; Lagercrantz stepped up and continued the series after his death as it was a highly profitable international best seller.
Thanks given by:
The publisher has dubbed it the "Millennium Series".
Thanks given by:
I get it, just found part 5 of 3 funny
Don’t blame the butter for what the bread did
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-07, 12:04 PM)WTTM Wrote: Part 5 of a trilogy, wtf

That is some Douglas Adams humour there.
Thanks given by:
I just read La Belle Sauvage, which is book #1 of a new trilogy called The Book of Dust. It's supposed to be an accompanying trilogy to the Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, and Amber Spyglass). I really liked the first trilogy as a teenager, so even though this new trilogy is still aimed at young adults, read this one.

It's decent, but definitely has some issues. There were a lot of things that came up in the second half of the book that were never really explained, came out of nowhere, etc. The original trilogy had sort of magic/fantasy elements, but they also seemed generally grounded in the story/universe. The stuff in this book was more random and seemed to be shoved in there. Several chapters/characters/parts of the story also just seemed to be added in there, but ultimately didn't matter much in hindsight after finishing the book.

In saying that, it helped provide some background detail to the world Lyra (Golden Compass main character) grew up in, and had some interesting plotlines/characters. Hopefully the next books in the series are a bit more coherent though.
Thanks given by:
My reading has gone down the toilet.

I am currently reading ‘The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia’ by Masha Gessen.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-10, 04:34 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: My reading has gone down the toilet.

I am currently reading ‘The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia’ by Masha Gessen.

I'm have to eat humble pie. I've reread everything Foucault related that I've posted in this thread because he's starting to make sense (went through Discipline and Punishment again). I'd rather read an Archie's digest comic from the grocery store than concede that Foucault makes sense (I've shit talked him the past 6 years of my life)
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
My reading has been very slow lately, too.  I have a pile of books, mostly fiction, sitting on my table, mocking my laziness as we speak.
Thanks given by:
Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ
Julia Enders.

Actually an interesting read. Doesn't get bogged down with medical jargon.
Plus, it includes a chart where you can rate your shit.
Thanks given by: bicboi
(2018-02-10, 05:02 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ
Julia Enders.

Actually an interesting read. Doesn't get bogged down with medical jargon.
Plus, it includes a chart where you can rate your shit.

The Bristol Stool Chart?
Thanks given by: Cornholio
I'm currently reading "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teichoz
interesting stuff on nutrition history and how fat was demonized.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-10, 07:57 PM)WTTM Wrote: I'm currently reading "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teichoz
interesting stuff on nutrition history and how fat was demonized.

Teichoz is a fun read...remember, she's a journalist, hence her bread and butter lies in catchy titles, and controversy.  She'll dine out on fat for a few years, and then write something else that may also sell books (Yes...all puns were intentional).  Summarizing my view of her book...she doesn't advocate more meat and fat, she just suggests meat and fat have a place in our diets.  The meat industry have, of course, grabbed any good press they can get, and are presenting Nina as the messiah.

For a balanced view, may I suggest "The China Study", or "How not to die", Greger and Stone.  These authors seem pretty smart...they have letters after their names and everything.
"Feeling silly and sublime", most of the time.
Thanks given by:
Nina went to Stanford, Yale and received a masters from Oxford. Her work is based on research of 10,000 studies and finding it difficult to come to the conclusions that ended up in the food pyramid. She is not alone there are a lot of doctors out there that share this view.
I’ve read the China Study several years ago and even got an “A” in nutrition when I went to cooking school as a younger man, I think I have a balanced view of the topic. I weighed 199lbs two months ago. I’ve restricted my carbs and this morning I was 173lbs.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-11, 10:51 AM)WTTM Wrote: Nina went to Stanford, Yale and received a masters from Oxford. Her work is based on research of 10,000 studies and finding it difficult to come to the conclusions that ended up in the food pyramid. She is not alone there are a lot of doctors out there that share this view.
I’ve read the China Study several years ago and even got an “A” in nutrition when I went to cooking school as a younger man, I think I have a balanced view of the topic. I weighed 199lbs two months ago. I’ve restricted my carbs and this morning I was 173lbs.

How she presents her credentials is interesting...she 'attended Stanford and Yale' (so did I, when I toured the campus in 1988)...she 'studied Biology'.  She received a Masters from Oxford.  What are her exact credentials?  What are her degrees?  Masters in what exactly? 

There's a great deal of controversy about how she presented data in her writings...and that sells books, and I'll leave it there.  There's plenty of well formed professional critiques of her work available on line.

It's okay to focus on weight loss, but the devil is in the detail.  Are you tracking your vitals, your blood chemistry, your state of mind, your feelings?  Do you feel well?  Are you living a balanced, sustainable life?

I'm convinced that future generations of humans will look back at the meat and dairy consumers of today the same way we view smokers.
Thanks given by:
I was all revved up after reading The China Study also, and then I read the critiques which took the wind out my sails.

That Gut book I just read has a thing on enterotypes which are specific to global regions apparently. I wonder if gut flora is factor in the difference in cholesterol levels et al. between N.A and Asia, not just animal protein consumption?
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-12, 07:06 PM)Cornholio Wrote: I was all revved up after reading The China Study also, and then I read the critiques which took the wind out my sails.

That Gut book I just read has a thing on enterotypes which are specific to global regions apparently. I wonder if gut flora is factor in  the difference in cholesterol levels et al. between N.A and Asia, not just animal protein consumption?

Try Dr. Rhonda Patrick, she doesn’t have a book that I’m aware off but she was on Joe Rogan recently and she’s pretty bright gale. She has a lot of content on YouTube and I believe I’ve heard her talk about gut flora
Thanks given by: Cornholio
(2018-02-12, 08:27 PM)WTTM Wrote:
(2018-02-12, 07:06 PM)Cornholio Wrote: I was all revved up after reading The China Study also, and then I read the critiques which took the wind out my sails.

That Gut book I just read has a thing on enterotypes which are specific to global regions apparently. I wonder if gut flora is factor in  the difference in cholesterol levels et al. between N.A and Asia, not just animal protein consumption?

Try Dr. Rhonda Patrick, she doesn’t have a book that I’m aware off but she was on Joe Rogan recently and she’s pretty bright gale. She has a lot of content on YouTube and I believe I’ve heard her talk about gut flora
At the very least, we're asking nutritional questions, and that's fantastic, especially for a guy like me, who basically shoved anything and everything in my mouth.  I started noticing that my body was starting to reject a few things, and i started whittling my dietary choices down.  In my 40's, I said bye to KFC and msg.  In my early 50's, bye bye cow milk and bye to binge eating and drinking...moderation was the key.  Mid 50's bye red meat.  I'm now vegetarian moving to vegan.

It simply feels right, and I feel it in my gut.  It feels like my 'flora' is happy.

I've got buddies who are entering their 50's and they're ignoring what their bodies are telling them.  They're all swollen, some carrying 50 extra pounds.  They're all heading for an emergency room episode within the decade.  I just lost a university classmate last month...owned a Greek restaurant downtown...heavy meat based culture.  56...dead.

Keep asking the questions guys, and listen to your bodies.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-12, 11:32 PM)Arsenal Wrote:

At the very least, we're asking nutritional questions, and that's fantastic, especially for a guy like me, who basically shoved anything and everything in my mouth.  I started noticing that my body was starting to reject a few things, and i started whittling my dietary choices down.  In my 40's, I said bye to KFC and msg.  In my early 50's, bye bye cow milk and bye to binge eating and drinking...moderation was the key.  Mid 50's bye red meat.  I'm now vegetarian moving to vegan.

It simply feels right, and I feel it in my gut.  It feels like my 'flora' is happy.

I've got buddies who are entering their 50's and they're ignoring what their bodies are telling them.  They're all swollen, some carrying 50 extra pounds.  They're all heading for an emergency room episode within the decade.  I just lost a university classmate last month...owned a Greek restaurant downtown...heavy meat based culture.  56...dead.

Dr. Patrick turned me onto Broccoli Sprouts, purchased the seeds online, mason jars and lids with screens to do my own sprouting. Taste great as well.

Here’s an excellent video on cholesterol from an Irish guy, worth a watch if you’re taking an interest in your health https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fuj6nxCDBZ0 it is long but really good
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-12, 11:41 PM)WTTM Wrote:

Dr. Patrick turned me onto Broccoli Sprouts, purchased the seeds online, mason jars and lids with screens to do my own sprouting. Taste great as well.

Here’s an excellent video on cholesterol from an Irish guy, worth a watch if you’re taking an interest in your health https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fuj6nxCDBZ0 it is long but really good
Do you think it's possible that some humans are predisposed to plant based eating and some to meat?
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-13, 03:33 AM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2018-02-12, 11:41 PM)WTTM Wrote:

Do you think it's possible that some humans are predisposed to plant based eating and some to meat?

Not according to evolution.

There are several Hunter/Gather cultures that had little signs of cancer or heart disease before being exposed to a western diet. These two are the leading killers in most of the world today, it’s not the meat doing it.
Thanks given by: