Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
Took friggin forever but finally finished Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb. 8\10 not as good as the previous book but it had much more political manoeuvres which was kinda cool in a fantasy sense. Can't wait to start the last book in the trilogy
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Just read Nightwing "New World Order". The heart and soul of the DC heroes goes all fascist and its an insane story with a great ending. 9\10!
Thanks given by:
Read Stephen King's newest 'The Outsider'. He's one of my favourite authors, but the man has a really difficult time finishing a story (see 'The Stand', 'The Dark Tower') and it's no different here. He combines the murder mystery genre with his own classic horror style, and the first 2/3's of the book make for thrilling entertainment, but I thought the final act fell apart.
Thanks given by:
Started reading the Looming Tower last week. It's about the conditions that gave rise to Osama Bin Laden and islamic terrorrism in general, brushing over the history of Saudi Arabia and the ME; and the growth of Ali Soudan, the FBI's al-Qaida expert during the 90s-00s.

Between working, RATW, and studying, I only get about 40 minutes of reading a day. So my goal of a book a week ain't doing too well.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-05, 05:58 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Started reading the Looming Tower last week. It's about the conditions that gave rise to Osama Bin Laden and islamic terrorrism in general, brushing over the history of Saudi Arabia and the ME; and the growth of Ali Soudan, the FBI's al-Qaida expert during the 90s-00s.

Between working, RATW, and studying, I only get about 40 minutes of reading a day. So my goal of a book a week ain't doing too well.

Dude I don't know how reading can be one of your hobbies while studying and working so much. There's so much reading at work and school for me that my leisure time needs something that doesn't involve too much reading (its why I read so many comic books.graphic novels).
Thanks given by:
Just finished Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel. It's the first installment of The Themis Files. Very entertaining page-turner if anyone is looking for for something in the Sci-Fi genre. It also has a geo-political and shadow government operative tinge to it. Book two (Waking Gods) arrived by courier this morning, can't wait to get at it.

Canadian author too...
Thanks given by:
It took a while but I finally finished reading ‘Rise and Kill First’, which is about the history of Israel’s targeted killing program.

Am about to read ‘The Fifth Risk’ by Michael Lewis. The synopsis I have read sounds intriguing: “What are the consequences if the people given control over our government have no idea how it works?”
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-26, 09:51 AM)Limestoner Wrote: Just finished Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel. It's the first installment of The Themis Files. Very entertaining page-turner if anyone is looking for for something in the Sci-Fi genre. It also has a geo-political and shadow government operative tinge to it. Book two (Waking Gods) arrived by courier this morning, can't wait to get at it.

Canadian author too...

Just going to throw another plug out for these books. I'm halfway through the third one and thoroughly enjoying the reads.

Apparently Sony has already got someone doing a screenplay for a movie(s?) adaptation.

It's good clean sci-fi fun and the books are hard to put down.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I couldn’t read The Fifth Risk. Reading about the idiocy of the transition team was too much. So I read ‘The Traitor and the Spy’, about a KGB officer who spied for Britain. It was funny to see many of the same tactics from the 2016 election present in the MO of the KGB in the 1980s.
Thanks given by:
Read the first two issues of Spider-Geddon. Never have i seen a comic series butcher a character so bad lol. Normally i wait till a series hasa complete edition but a friend told me i must check this out...this friend owes me my 20 minutes back
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-01, 12:42 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: I couldn’t read The Fifth Risk. Reading about the idiocy of the transition team was too much. So I read ‘The Traitor and the Spy’, about a KGB officer who spied for Britain. It was funny to see many of the same tactics from the 2016 election present in the MO of the KGB in the 1980s.

That one is on my list.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-22, 08:37 AM)encore Wrote: Read Stephen King's newest 'The Outsider'. He's one of my favourite authors, but the man has a really difficult time finishing a story (see 'The Stand', 'The Dark Tower') and it's no different here. He combines the murder mystery genre with his own classic horror style, and the first 2/3's of the book make for thrilling entertainment, but I thought the final act fell apart.
As a novelist, King is a great short story writer.
Thanks given by:
Finally finished the Birth of Venom collected edition. Only ever read bits and bobs from individual issues of how Venom was created. Wish they included the Sin Eater story for the sake of continuity and good flow but I have that story as well, about to read it next! Birth of Venom gets an 8/10
Thanks given by:
Working on two series now;  Connelly and the adventures of Harry Bosch.  Archer and the adventures of Harry Clifton.  Strong male leads, and the good guy wins.
"To love life is to plant trees, under which shade you may never sit"
Thanks given by:
Just finished up Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Talaga. 
It's about the deaths and investigations of 7 indigenous students from Thunder Bay. 
It is really well written, but wow is it a tough read. I really feel for these kids and their families. 
After reading it beat's rage appears a little subdued.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-16, 12:25 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Just finished up Seven Fallen Feathers by Tanya Talaga. 
It's about the deaths and investigations of 7 indigenous students from Thunder Bay. 
It is really well written, but wow is it a tough read. I really feel for these kids and their families. 
After reading it beat's rage appears a little subdued.

You might be interested in reading Killers of the Flower Moon.
Thanks given by:
I am interested in that.
Is it grim? I might need something a little light next.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-16, 02:12 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: I am interested in that.
Is it grim? I might need something a little light next.

I wouldn’t call it a light. But it is likely less grim than what you just read.
Thanks given by: ZappaScores
83 you have awesome book suggestions but they definitely are a bit more dark. Checked out Looming Tower, i put it down cuz i needed something brain dead and fun. Can't wait to actually check it out though!
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-16, 04:26 PM)bicboi Wrote: 83 you have awesome book suggestions but they definitely are a bit more dark. Checked out Looming Tower, i put it down cuz i needed something brain dead and fun. Can't wait to actually check it out though!

I am fascinated by Middle East history and events, and many of those books get quite dark haha. 

I am about half way through 'Beirut Rules', which tells the story about the kidnap and murder of the Beirut Station Chief and the evolution of Hezbollah's presence in Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War.
Thanks given by: