Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
Finished Spiderman: Death of Jean DeWolf. Brilliant story, all about Spidey coming to terms with having to use force. Also, Daredevil acts like a wise old mentor to an out of control Spidey! 9/10
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
What format did you read it in? I’m struggling to get my hands on a copy.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-22, 02:18 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: What format did you read it in? I’m struggling to get my hands on a copy.

Paperback! Bought it at a used bookstore in Ottawa!

Zappa you ever try Marvel's online comic service? I couldn't enjoy it, i think comics for me have to be in physical form (same with manga)
Thanks given by:
Nice, that’s a good find. I might try the service to read Civil War, but I’m with you - I like a physical copy. I have dabbled in some ebooks for stories I have a casual interest in. They are so much cheaper. Like a $35 graphic novel is less than $10. Imagine how much I would have hated New World Order if I paid full price.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-22, 05:22 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Nice, that’s a good find. I might try the service to read Civil War, but I’m with you - I like a physical copy. I have dabbled in some ebooks for stories I have a casual interest in. They are so much cheaper. Like a $35 graphic novel is less than $10. Imagine how much I would have hated New World Order if I paid full price.

I'm trying ti find a local book store rhat sells used books. I hate Chapters being my main spot. Brampton is atrocious for book stores (we're all a bunch of illiterates). Might just start camping out in Mississauga, Caledon or even take a bus to Toronto. Local bookstores are awesome (most are prettt much book cafes at this point).

For civil war, the novelization is fantastic! Comic has awesome art but i always try reccomending the novel Marvel released a few years back!
Thanks given by:
Read Doug Gimour's book killer. Great read.
Thanks given by:
Just finished The Spy and the Traitor. It relates the story of the highest ranking Russian double agent of the Cold War era, Oleg Gordievsky.

Very good read, and even though it documents events that occurred beginning almost 40 years ago, there were times where I couldn't put it down.

Plenty of fascinating insight into the cold war realities of the day, and more particularly, the inner workings of the KGB.

9/10
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
'Double Cross' is another good book by Ben Macintyre. 

It's another espionage book about the 'Double Cross' system, where every Nazi spy in Britain during WWII was turned into a double agent.
Thanks given by:
I Finished ‘Beirut Rules’ and have started ‘Directorate S’, which is about the United States’ strategy in the War in Afghanistan, starting on Sept 11. It’s the sequel the the book ‘Ghost Wars’, which discusses the US’s role in Afghanistan from the 70s leading up to 9/11.

After this book, I think I’ll start reading a new topic. I think 10-12 of the last 15 books I have read have been related to ME politics or history.
Thanks given by:
Had a pretty productive couple of weeks.

Read ‘the Tattooist of Auschwitz’, ‘Dark Matter’, and ‘Killing the SS’. I’m not a big fiction reader, but damn Dark Matter was a good read.

I am now reading ‘Jerusalem: A Biography’ and ‘The Templars: The Rise and Fall of God’s Holy Warriors’. I want to go back to Israel so I am going to learn more about the history of Israel before I go back.
Thanks given by:
Just finished The Good Mothers. It's about the Clabrian Mafia in southern Italy, and how special anti-mob prosecutors severely diminish what is (was?) the most powerful criminal syndicate in the world by enticing a few of the women within the organization to snitch and provide evidence.

As are many non-fiction books it's pretty dry at times but the behind the scenes look into that violent world is both disturbing and fascinating. Also interesting are the strategies used by prosecutors and the intricacies of the witness protection process.

7/10
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
Just finished reading the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz. Fun series.
Thanks given by: