Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
I bought "Baseball's Back In Town" (a comprehensive history of baseball in Toronto) a couple weeks ago and it's amazing. So many interesting facts and old photos.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13640...ck-in-town
Thanks given by:
I'm reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series and I'm finally on the 7th and final book. I've enjoyed it, but the series peaks at number 4 and then takes a bit of a dip.

Overall, it's something I'd highly recommend for anyone looking for a new book series to get into.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
I read I think 1.5 books of the Dark Tower series. Sort of lost interest. The movie is coming out this summer I think, but no trailer yet, and I heard they're reshooting parts of it. Not a good sign. Granted, I am pretty excited to see Idris Elba and Matthew McConnaghy, pretty good cast.
Thanks given by:
It's a very difficult series to get into, probably because for the entirety of the first book you have no idea what's going on. You basically just get introduced to this character, but you know nothing of his story or the world he is in (or even when), aside from the fact that he is in search of a dark tower. Slowly you learn more and more about the character and the world he lives in, but the first book is very slow moving. Thankfully, the first book is only 200 or 300 pages, so it's a pretty quick read, but if it wasn't for the fact that I had the first 4 books given to me as a gift, I likely would have stopped after the first one. Having just started the 7th book, I can only say that it's enjoyable so far, but I would rank 1-6 as follows: 4, 3, 2, 5, 1, 6.

The movie adaption I believe tells a different story of the one in the novels (at least that's what I've read). I think I read an article that says it's more of a sequel, which I'm a little skeptical of. Regardless, I don't have high expectations. I do enjoy Idris Elba though.
Thanks given by:
Just finished CJ Pascoe's Dude, you're a *****". It's an ethnography on how traditional masculinity and sexuality is toxic towards males, females, and institutions. I thought the art of ethnography was dead, but this was well done. The methodology was really well done and I don't have much complaints​. 8/10
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Read 'City of Thorns: Nine Lives in the World's Largest Refugee Camp' on the flight yesterday. I could not stop reading. Read it front to back in one sitting.

It tells the story of 9 refugees in Dadaab. How the got there and their attempts to get out. It also brings light to the kenyan-Somalian issues rife in the area (a topic I am admittedly not that well-versed in), and discusses the struggle between the UN, local governments, and al shabaab.

It was on of the books of the year by the fininacial times in 2015(?) and deservedly so. I strongly recommend it.
Thanks given by:
Finished The Shining and noticed some pretty big differences between it and the movie. Might be worth it to read the novel if you're looking for a ghost story.

Reading the sequel Doctor Sleep now
Thanks given by:
Guilty as Sin, Edward Klein

I won't say it was a good read... but it was a quick read. It gives a good insight on Comey's preoccupation with Hillary.
It was published just a few weeks before the election, so the re-opening of the e-mail/server investigation is not included.
Thanks given by:
Read Bernard Berkhoffers White Man's Indian, absolute trash.
Thanks given by:
Read A History of Transsexuality by Joanne Meyerowitz. The book was great but a few sub headings in her chapters would've made for better organization. It was quite fragmented and if I wasn't doing a paper on it i wouldn't have understood the content as well. Some of the terms were hard to read because I'm used to 21st century language regarding trans identifying people but I feel Meyerowitz did that on purpose to show the transition of language itself concerning respecting trans people
Thanks given by: