Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Can't find the "Good Read" thread, so...
lol
Larsson croaked after completing his 'trilogy'; Lagercrantz stepped up and continued the series after his death as it was a highly profitable international best seller.
Thanks given by:
The publisher has dubbed it the "Millennium Series".
Thanks given by:
I get it, just found part 5 of 3 funny
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-07, 12:04 PM)WTTM Wrote: Part 5 of a trilogy, wtf

That is some Douglas Adams humour there.
Thanks given by:
I just read La Belle Sauvage, which is book #1 of a new trilogy called The Book of Dust. It's supposed to be an accompanying trilogy to the Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, and Amber Spyglass). I really liked the first trilogy as a teenager, so even though this new trilogy is still aimed at young adults, read this one.

It's decent, but definitely has some issues. There were a lot of things that came up in the second half of the book that were never really explained, came out of nowhere, etc. The original trilogy had sort of magic/fantasy elements, but they also seemed generally grounded in the story/universe. The stuff in this book was more random and seemed to be shoved in there. Several chapters/characters/parts of the story also just seemed to be added in there, but ultimately didn't matter much in hindsight after finishing the book.

In saying that, it helped provide some background detail to the world Lyra (Golden Compass main character) grew up in, and had some interesting plotlines/characters. Hopefully the next books in the series are a bit more coherent though.
Thanks given by: