Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada s disprortionate in bronze medals?
In 1976 Canada had a grand total of 2 medals and we were the host. Canada is now a 15-20 medal winner in the summer. In Calgary Team Canada had 5 medals total and were top 3 overall in medals and first in gold in Vancouver.

For a country that is hockey obsessed and lacks the infrastructure the Americans have with their scholarship rich collegiate program we do ok.
"I thank you in advance for the great round of applause I am about to get." - Bo Diddley
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-22, 02:20 PM)bodisthava Wrote: In 1976 Canada had a grand total of 2 medals and we were the host. Canada is now a 15-20 medal winner in the summer. In Calgary Team Canada had 5 medals total and were top 3 overall in medals and first in gold in Vancouver.

For a country that is hockey obsessed and lacks the infrastructure the Americans have with their scholarship rich collegiate program we do ok.

We have the awful distinction as the only host country to not get a gold medal.  And we've done it twice!  We've come a long ways.
Thanks given by:
yes.

but 1976 was also the first real all-steroid Olympics--especially in sports that Canada had done well at traditionally. Such as swimming.

I saw a documentary about the consequences for the east German women's swim team from that era.
They had cleaned up at the Montreal Olympics in terms of medals.

Nothing but health problems, serious disease and infertility.
The athletes knew little about what they were taking.
Very very sad stories.
Mostly harmless  . . .
Thanks given by:
In Montreal, Canada won 11 medals. The most medals they had won at a summer olympics from 1948 to 1972 was 6 (1956 in Melbourne).
Thanks given by: