Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Telecoms Make The Most Revenue Per Wireless GB In The World
Another reminder of how screwed over we're getting by wireless providers in this country.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/07/11..._23479736/

Canadian wireless users have some of the lowest data usage in the world, but Canadian telecom companies make the most money off the customers they have, a new report shows.

A study by telecom comparison site Tefficient looked at data usage per SIM card in 36 countries worldwide in 2017, and how much money telecoms made per gigabyte of wireless data used.

Canadians used about 1.3 GB of data per month per SIM card last year. There were only five countries where wireless customers used less than that— the Czech Republic, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, and Greece.

The study found that high mobile data use in a country can be explained by telecoms' low effective revenue per gigabyte of data.

In other words, one reason Canadians use less data than other countries may be that telecoms charge so much for the data they offer.

Canada also only showed six per cent growth in data usage in 2017, the lowest of any country in the report.
By contrast, Indian telecoms had the lowest revenue per gigabyte, and showed the highest growth in data usage in 2017 — more than 300 per cent. Canadian telecoms made 35 times what Indian companies make for the same data usage.

Lack of competition to blame: professor

University of Ottawa professor Michael Geist said the report shows innovation and science minister Navdeep Bains must recognize that "longstanding failed Canadian wireless policies must change."

"It is difficult to overstate how much the lack of wireless competitiveness is holding back the Canadian market," Geist wrote on his blog.

Geist criticized Canada's telecom regulator, the CRTC, for not taking action on wireless carriers who continue to increase their fees.
Thanks given by:
The cell phone monopoly is absolutely ridiculous. We pay way too much. My plan with unlimited talk/text and only 3 GB a month costs me well over $100. My Internet bill is just under $100 and I don't get any sort of bundle or discount.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 10:52 AM)lewis94 Wrote: The cell phone monopoly is absolutely ridiculous. We pay way too much. My plan with unlimited talk/text and only 3 GB a month costs me well over $100. My Internet bill is just under $100 and I don't get any sort of bundle or discount.

I assume that phone plan is including payments for the phone too?

Is your internet really high end?  Whats your mbps?
Thanks given by:
Lewis I hope you have a work phone
Thanks given by:
Canadian prices are ridiculous.

I pay $49.99 a month for 30GB and that’s on month-to-month.
Thanks given by:
30 GB? wow
Thanks given by:
I'm at $50 for my phone plan, 5gb unlimited everything else. Internet is unlimited but not sure how much the family pays for that. In Ottawa it cost me like $70 for unlimited internet
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I get unlimited in ottawa for $50
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 02:02 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: 30 GB?  wow

The deals are better if you get a contract. 

One company is currently offering 80 gigs at $65/month if you sign a 12-month contract.
Thanks given by:
this, like everything else..

if nobody takes a stand and says "no more"  it'll never end.

high gas prices,

expensive phone bills, 

etc etc

if we all continue to just go on with our daily lives and never stay "enough is enough"  they'll just keep gouging us.
cfl
Thanks given by:
The most recent material spike in gas prices was correlated to the implementation of a carbon tax by the government you steadfastly support and defend.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2018-07-12, 10:27 PM)Pouzar Wrote: The most recent material spike in gas prices was correlated to the implementation of a carbon tax by the government you steadfastly support and defend.

because I dont support conservatives
cfl
Thanks given by:
I assume you are able to acknowledge that you are complaining about high gas prices that are largely a result of policies and laws implemented by the government that you just professed to blindly support, right?
Thanks given by:
Meh. "High" is a relative term.

What percentage of the price at the pump is directly attributable to carbon pricing?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 06:21 AM)Pouzar Wrote: I assume you are able to acknowledge that you are complaining about high gas prices that are largely a result of policies and laws implemented by the government that you just professed to blindly support, right?

I don't blindly support them, my disdain for the conservatives is higher
cfl
Thanks given by:
While yes, Canadian phone, internet, TV, etc plans are absurdly expensive. There are also far few people that shop around or negotiate deals.

We get our TV + Internet for ~$80 lower than the advertised price through Bell, because I referenced the prices Teksavvy has. They weren't willing to budge on cell phone prices so we switched to Koodo during a promotion and have a plan $15 (per phone) cheaper than the Bell plan. 

Theyre still more expensive than I think they should be, but there is at least some wiggle room out there.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 10:57 AM)RyeRocks Wrote:
(2018-07-12, 10:52 AM)lewis94 Wrote: The cell phone monopoly is absolutely ridiculous. We pay way too much. My plan with unlimited talk/text and only 3 GB a month costs me well over $100. My Internet bill is just under $100 and I don't get any sort of bundle or discount.

I assume that phone plan is including payments for the phone too?

Is your internet really high end?  Whats your mbps?

Yeah it does include $25 a month for that - but it's still super high for only 3 GB a month, compared to people I know out of the country.

Not high end - it's their lowest plan in terms of speed. Supposed to be 100 mbps but is usually 50 or less.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 08:33 AM)tmleafer Wrote: While yes, Canadian phone, internet, TV, etc plans are absurdly expensive. There are also far few people that shop around or negotiate deals.

We get our TV + Internet for ~$80 lower than the advertised price through Bell, because I referenced the prices Teksavvy has. They weren't willing to budge on cell phone prices so we switched to Koodo during a promotion and have a plan $15 (per phone) cheaper than the Bell plan. 

Theyre still more expensive than I think they should be, but there is at least some wiggle room out there.

I always shop around but no one has very good deals. You're right though that people should negotiate more. I'm thinking of getting basic cable (along with my cell and internet from Eastlink) and if they don't offer a significant discount with the bundle, I'm certainly going to threaten to switch to Bell.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 02:06 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: I get unlimited in ottawa for $50

See, that's absolutely insane compared to anything offered here.

I used to get unlimited from SaskTel for a bit more, maybe $70. You can't even get unlimited data in PEI.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 11:34 AM)poppabyrd Wrote: Lewis I hope you have a work phone

Nope. I do have unlimited minutes including long distance though.

Probably should have one though - the smallish newspaper I worked for in April did, but CBC doesn't haha.
Thanks given by: