Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Tennis
Andreescu moves up 45 spots in the world rankings, up to 107th now after her impressive run last week. There's only 2 players younger than her ranked ahead of her, Amanda Anisimova 87th, and Anastasia Potapova in 90th.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
kyrgios is a much tougher draw than his ranking would indicate. Double ditto for Serena
Thanks given by:
Ouch.

Polansky is still alive in qualifying, won his first 2 matches, if he wins his next match, he's in. FAA is out, lost in 2nd round of qualifying.

Andreescu won her first 2 qualifying matches as well and is in the same boat as Polansky, win and she's in. Her opponent she's faced once before on clay in French Open qualifying and lost in 3 sets. Polansky has faced his opponent once before as well, on a hard court, and lost in a 3rd set tiebreaker. Both should be close matches.
Thanks given by:
I think Shap actually got a decent draw. His first two matches are very winable matches. Djokovic would be tough obviously, but a 3rd round result would be okay for him, and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get that far this time.

Raonic got a crazy hard draw with Kyrgios and Wawrinka. Really unlucky for him. Got maybe the two toughest unranked players.
Thanks given by:
Kind of shocking, though maybe it shouldn’t be, news this morning as Andy Murray has announced that the Aussie Open could be his last tournament. He was hoping to go out at Wimbledon, but I guess his hip pain is too much and so he isn’t sure he will make it to the summer.

He’s a gamer. Was one of my favourites to watch when he was at the top, not just because of how good he was, but because he never gave up. He was so difficult to get a ball past because of his persistence.

Anyway, retiring at 31 really puts it into perspective how lucky we are to still have a soon-to-be 38 year old Federer playing at such a high level.
Thanks given by:
Murray fought back from 2 sets down in his match winning 3rd and 4th set tiebreakers for force a 5th, but ultimately lost the 5th 6-2 to Bautista Agut, the 22nd seed.

I'm really hoping he sticks around until Wimbledon. He's exactly 1 month younger than I am ffs lol.
Thanks given by:
I think if he's even remotely capable of it, he'll do it. He's such a gamer. I remember watching the 2012 Wimbledon Final where he lost to Roger and he broke down and cried in his on-court post match speech. He wanted it so bad.

I hope we see him finish off with a good run at Wimbledon.
Thanks given by:
Canadians are 4/4 in their first matches.

Raonic has a tough match with Stan, but he did beat him in straights in NY last year.

Genie has Serena. Yikes.

Andrescu has a chance against Sevastova. She’ll be a big underdog though.

Shap should win against Daniel. He would then likely play Djokovic.
Thanks given by:
Nice to see Raonic with a straight sets win over Kyrgios. Wasn't expecting that.

I'm hoping 1 of the women pull the upset off. Sevastova hasn't shown the greatest form so far this season so it could be Andreescu.
Thanks given by:
I recall Kyrgios beating Raonic in the QFs (or a similar later round) at a fairly recent major, no?

Interesting that they played so early in this tournament.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-15, 02:47 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I recall Kyrgios beating Raonic in the QFs (or a similar later round) at a fairly recent major, no?

They haven't played each other since 2016 when Raonic won at Queen's Club (Wimbledon warm up), but Kyrgios did beat Raonic the last time they met in a major, 2015 Wimbledon. In fact they met at a major 3 years in a row, Raonic beat him at 2014 Wimbledon, and the 2013 French Open.

Raonic is now 4-3 lifetime against Kyrgios and 3-1 in majors.
Thanks given by:
Raonic wins a 4 hour marathon against Wawrinka in 4 sets, all going to a tiebreaker.

Andreescu ran out of gas against Sevastova, forced the 3rd set but lost. She's played a ton of tennis in 2019 already.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-15, 07:55 PM)thebest41587 Wrote:
(2019-01-15, 02:47 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I recall Kyrgios beating Raonic in the QFs (or a similar later round) at a fairly recent major, no?

They haven't played each other since 2016 when Raonic won at Queen's Club (Wimbledon warm up), but Kyrgios did beat Raonic the last time they met in a major, 2015 Wimbledon. In fact they met at a major 3 years in a row, Raonic beat him at 2014 Wimbledon, and the 2013 French Open.

Raonic is now 4-3 lifetime against Kyrgios and 3-1 in majors.

OK, thanks, I might have been mixing him up with someone else.
Thanks given by:
Good for Milos! Those were two really tough matches he won. He's got Hebert next and then there's a good possibility the Round of 16 match will be against Zverev, who I think is very beatable on the big stage.
Thanks given by:
Raonic vs Herbert and Shapovalov vs Djokovic.

Obviously Shapovalov is gonna have to play at his absolute top level to have a chance against Novak. Keep the unforced errors down and don't lose focus. If he can take the first set, you never know.

I think Raonic has a real chance at making a long run here. He already beat two very good opponents, and he'll be favoured against Herbert. He likely would then face Zverev, who I think is ripe for the picking. In the QF he would be facing possibly Coric/Pouille, both of whom I like Raonic's chances against.
Thanks given by:
Ooooh, this is getting kind of exciting. Going to have to check the schedule for the time of these matches - there is love play when I'm at the gym at 3am so there is a chance the timing could work out well for me.
Thanks given by:
Shap took a set from Novak, but ultimately folded in the 4th set, losing 6-0.

Raonic had a straight sets win. He'll play the winner of Zverev and Bolt.
Thanks given by:
That was a tough draw for the kid.
Thanks given by:
Taking a set off Djokovic is a decent result. Only a true optimist could have predicted a victory.

I think Raonic can take Zverev tomorrow night.
Thanks given by: