Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadians are "breaking up" with Tim Hortons
When was the last time you went to a Tim Hortons? Was the experience good, or did it leave you longing for the Timmies of the past? Is Tim Hortons really that bad? Well, as it turns out, Canadians are officially done with Tim Hortons, and it's unlikely that they'll ever return to the storied coffeehouse.

According to a report from National and Leger, in 2018, Tim Hortons dropped from the fourth most admired company in Canada all the way to 50th. It only took 12 months for that to happen.
It's not hard to see why, judging from the way people describe their experiences at Tim Hortons. What was once the standard-bearer for coffee, donuts, and baked goods has since become a punchline for poor service, low-quality food, and an ever-expanding menu featuring items that customers would prefer to get elsewhere.

One Redditor finally opened up about all the reasons they were saying goodbye to Tim Hortons forever. It wasn't long until many others joined in on the conversation.

"Tim Hortons has gone so far down hill.

1. Each food item is individually priced now. It's like an accountant looks at which donuts sold more and upped the price of those
  2. Food has gone downhill. We just want coffee and simple baked goods. Soups and sandwiches and that's it. And bread that isn't made from rocks. Someone in corporate forgot that Tim's was a coffee shop.
  3. The Tim's rewards app. Where to start? Well first if you pay before showing the app, you don't get the reward. They flat out refuse to do so since you already paid. Honestly, I should have had them refund me, scan then process my transaction again but I'm a simple Canadian.
  4. The rewards app part deux. The app only gives you one reward for a transaction. If you buy 4 coffees that is ONE transaction. Compare that to McDonald's where you get a sticker per coffee and can trade those in for a free one after the 7th coffee. That's still better odds than roll up the rim too.
  5. The coffee. It's watered down. It gives me cramps. I know it's been changed years ago and I know McDonald's offers the same coffee Tim's used to. We should all know that by now. What I don't understand is when a Brazilian food corporation buys your restaurant you'd think they'd know what good coffee is. I'd bet money that any Brazilian who's tasted Tim's coffee now would pour the rest back into the pot, then pour the pot down the drain.
Consumers aren't stupid. We know the quality has gone down hill but the perks of living in a big city means I have other options at the same price. My money is going elsewhere.
Tim Horton would be rolling in his grave faster than a log drivers waltz"

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/is-tim-h...to-timmies
Thanks given by:
I don't know their market share, but for sure PR wise they've taken some hits the last few years.
Thanks given by:
I still love their food. The donuts are great, the wraps are great, and an iced capp is classic. I will continue giving them my business.
Thanks given by:
There's this too

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-...ffee-shop/

but there's twice as many tim hortons in canada as mcdonalds.
Thanks given by:
I don't drink coffee. But occasionally I don't mind the sausage on a biscuit breakfast at Timmy's, along with some french vanilla sugar-water.
Thanks given by:
We're 99% McDonalds these days. Tim's only when there isn't a McD's nearby.
Thanks given by:
I left them when they stopped making donuts on site.
Thanks given by:
Only thing I 'enjoy' is their Vanilla Latte. Everything else is, IMO anyway, trash.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 02:28 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: There's this too

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-...ffee-shop/

but there's twice as many tim hortons in canada as mcdonalds.

Very true but McD out sells them big time.  Once Mickey D place will do more business than 4 Timmys. Their coffee is terrible, too $pensive, no free refills ( I want one) and I hate sugary foods. At McD I can get a Multi Grain Bagel with honey on it, and a coffee for less than $2.50, and I get to browse through the morning paper. Service is slow, though..Tim's is faster.

One secret is to hire servers who are cheerful people. Tim's forgot that one. McD a bit better. Wendy's is the best

Right up the street from Tim's is a Euro bake shop, and they have great home made soup. Bowl of that soup and a Bagel with garlic and herbs on it is about $7 bux. Tim's might be a tad less, but I never go there. They always have bums hanging around the place. . Dealing dope or just doing nothing. Creepy

Starbucks? Good company, but terrible tasting coffee

7-11 doesn't count.  KFC? Great tasting Chicken, but so totally greasy

White Spot: should franchise, or expand their business. More pricey than the others, but good atmosphere, great service, super good waitresses and nice looking.. and great tasting food. I think if they opened a few places in Edmonton, they would do very well, as I found it hard to find good eating places there. Dennys and Gooneys just don't make the grade. Neither did Smittys or I-Hop

White Spot Clubhouse sand and coffee is about $20 if you leave a decent tip.
  Proverbs 14:27
Thanks given by:
TH started going downhill when they were bought up by Wendy's. Things got progressively worse over the next few years. Then Wendy's spun TH into a seperate company before the Brazilians bought it.

The Brazilians have turned it into absolute crap.
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx , Sensanity , Candy_Line_up
(2019-08-12, 02:41 PM)Sensanity Wrote: I left them when they stopped making donuts on site.

I never knew that. I like Krispy Kreme donuts, fresh off the rack and warm. There's just so little locations of Krispy Kreme around.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 02:56 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 02:41 PM)Sensanity Wrote: I left them when they stopped making donuts on site.

I never knew that. I like Krispy Kreme donuts, fresh off the rack and warm. There's just so little locations of Krispy Kreme around.

Back in the 60's, Woodwards used to make the doughnuts in the food section. People loved it. They were doing so well, but they abandoned good customer service, and went out of business about 20 years ago. Same with Eatons. No surprise there at all
Thanks given by:
The coffee has always been passable, but they seemed to lose focus on what made them popular. The drive-thrus take way to long because you have people ordering sandwiches, wraps, having to ask what donuts they have ready, and people not knowing how the double lane drive-thru works.

The menus are too big , the food is mediocre, and the products are inconsistent from store to store.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 03:12 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: The coffee has always been passable, but they seemed to lose focus on what made them popular. The drive-thrus take way to long because you have people ordering sandwiches, wraps, having to ask what donuts they have ready, and people not knowing how the double lane drive-thru works.

The menus are too big , the food is mediocre, and the products are inconsistent from store to store.

I just never liked them. Wendys at least offers a decent meal for not too much $$ but sugary stuff can kill you slowly

TH also not a comfortable place to sit. Hard to explain, but the place has about as much sex appeal as a plate of dead bugs
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 03:15 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 03:12 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: The coffee has always been passable, but they seemed to lose focus on what made them popular. The drive-thrus take way to long because you have people ordering sandwiches, wraps, having to ask what donuts they have ready, and people not knowing how the double lane drive-thru works.

I just never liked them. Wendys at least offers a decent meal for not too much $$ but sugary stuff can kill you slowly

TH also not a comfortable place to sit. Hard to explain, but the place has about as much sex appeal as a plate of dead bugs

Lol, to the bolded. That made my day.
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
(2019-08-12, 02:48 PM)Highstyx Wrote: I think if they opened a few places in Edmonton, they would do very well, as I found it hard to find good eating places there.

Off topic a bit but I find that to be an interesting comment.

This was a while ago, but I recall Edmonton having the highest number of restaurants per capita in North America.

Of course, that doesn't mean any of them are good but they do have pretty much "everything" - all the standard stuff and, more to the point, Edmonton is actually a very very good food city - quite a few really unique and boutique places - some of which have received quite good acclaim.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 02:53 PM)topgun Wrote: TH started going downhill when they were bought up by Wendy's. Things got progressively worse over the next few years. Then Wendy's spun TH into a seperate company before the Brazilians bought it.

I would posit that it may have started when they went public back in 2006 I believe it was.

Or maybe when I got fired from working there back in the very early 90s......
Thanks given by: Lagavulin
(2019-08-12, 03:26 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 02:53 PM)topgun Wrote: TH started going downhill when they were bought up by Wendy's. Things got progressively worse over the next few years. Then Wendy's spun TH into a seperate company before the Brazilians bought it.

I would posit that it may have started when they went public back in 2006 I believe it was.

Or maybe when I got fired from working there back in the very early 90s......

That's crazy, you got fired from there and fastforward 30 years and now you have the means to literally buy a franchise if you felt like it.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 03:25 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 02:48 PM)Highstyx Wrote: I think if they opened a few places in Edmonton, they would do very well, as I found it hard to find good eating places there.

Off topic a bit but I find that to be an interesting comment.

This was a while ago, but I recall Edmonton having the highest number of restaurants per capita in North America.

Of course, that doesn't mean any of them are good but they do have pretty much "everything" - all the standard stuff and, more to the point, Edmonton is actually a very very good food city - quite a few really unique and boutique places - some of which have received quite good acclaim.

I think it depends on what you like.

Up on 50th at around 136th, there was this neat Pizza place. Joe was the owner manager. Great guy. they had great ribs, and a good menu. Not a big fan of darkly lit places, but I used to o there once a week. their Pizza was good, too

Bolded could be true, I lived there like 35 years ago 

Best city for Restaurants is probably Vancouver
Thanks given by:
If you think Tims makes good donuts then you have never eaten a good donut.
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: poppabyrd , poppabyrd , Candy_Line_up , theDC