Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Habs games in a cable cutter world
I figured some of you on this forum must be experts on this. To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with spending $15-20 per month just for Habs games. But I don't want a full cable box or package. Once you cut the cord, there's no going back. I experimented with Bell Fibe Alt TV but they charge like $8 per extra channel. And the base plan doesn't include RDS or TVA SPORTS. It would have ended up being the same price as regular TV. Plus, it's not chromecast compatible. So you need to watch on your computer or mobile/tablet. No thanks.

So what do you guys use? Is NHL Centre Ice good? NHL.TV? Other forms of streaming? Just curious to know what experiences you've had and what your current solution is. Or perhaps you're still a slave to the cable company JUST to get that sweet sweet hockey fix.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 11:02 AM)DSlyburger Wrote: I figured some of you on this forum must be experts on this. To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with spending $15-20 per month just for Habs games. But I don't want a full cable box or package. Once you cut the cord, there's no going back. I experimented with Bell Fibe Alt TV but they charge like $8 per extra channel. And the base plan doesn't include RDS or TVA SPORTS. It would have ended up being the same price as regular TV. Plus, it's not chromecast compatible. So you need to watch on your computer or mobile/tablet. No thanks.

So what do you guys use? Is NHL Centre Ice good? NHL.TV? Other forms of streaming? Just curious to know what experiences you've had and what your current solution is. Or perhaps you're still a slave to the cable company JUST to get that sweet sweet hockey fix.

Are you in the Habs regional area or out of it as I am? The options would be different I guess.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 11:02 AM)Slyburger Wrote: I figured some of you on this forum must be experts on this. To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with spending $15-20 per month just for Habs games. But I don't want a full cable box or package. Once you cut the cord, there's no going back. I experimented with Bell Fibe Alt TV but they charge like $8 per extra channel. And the base plan doesn't include RDS or TVA SPORTS. It would have ended up being the same price as regular TV. Plus, it's not chromecast compatible. So you need to watch on your computer or mobile/tablet. No thanks.

If you ever figure it out (and how to get HBO), please let me know. I pay $250 a month for so much crap I never watch. These guys offer a free phone consult (I think), I just haven't found the time.

https://www.kutko.ca/faq/
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 11:56 AM)on2ndthought Wrote:
(2018-09-15, 11:02 AM)Slyburger Wrote: I figured some of you on this forum must be experts on this. To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with spending $15-20 per month just for Habs games. But I don't want a full cable box or package. Once you cut the cord, there's no going back. I experimented with Bell Fibe Alt TV but they charge like $8 per extra channel. And the base plan doesn't include RDS or TVA SPORTS. It would have ended up being the same price as regular TV. Plus, it's not chromecast compatible. So you need to watch on your computer or mobile/tablet. No thanks.

If you ever figure it out (and how to get HBO), please let me know. I pay $250 a month for so much crap I never watch. These guys offer a free phone consult (I think), I just haven't found the time.

Kutko looks to me like it is either :

1) illegal

2) legal but merely an aggregator of content already on the web 

Since they say to not think about it as channels, I'm going with 2)

What I mean by that is don't expect to click on TSN and watch the games. What you will get from TSN is what you can currently watch on their website.

And O2, please tell me that $250 per month is for all of your services. It would still be obscene but if this is just for TV, it's borderline criminal.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 12:17 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:

1) illegal

What I mean by that is don't expect to click on TSN and watch the games. What you will get from TSN is what you can currently watch on their website.

And O2, please tell me that $250 per month is for all of your services. It would still be obscene but if this is just for TV, it's borderline criminal.

Right, sorry... high speed unlimited internet (my son's a gamer, my daughter a streamer) and phone.

And kutko just makes recommendations about the best way for you to go, based on your media use. They are not providers, more like consultants. Pretty sure you just pay them once. I don't think they are allowed to recommend anything illegal, but they may be able to confirm its existence.
Thanks given by:
I'd just illegally stream it until the Habs actually show that they are worthy of paying for. There are some pretty stellar streams out there that are high quality.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 01:39 PM)on2ndthought Wrote:
(2018-09-15, 12:17 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:

1) illegal

Right, sorry... high speed unlimited internet (my son's a gamer, my daughter a streamer) and phone.

And kutko just makes recommendations about the best way for you to go, based on your media use. They are not providers, more like consultants. Pretty sure you just pay them once. I don't think they are allowed to recommend anything illegal, but they may be able to confirm its existence.

What's your transfer speed?

Just read about kutko and that is indeed all they offer. I guess it's for folks who don't want to look for themselves. My guess is that most folks hiring them would expect more than what they will get.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 02:27 PM)Captain aHab Wrote: [quote pid='995324' dateline='1537036757']

Just read about kutko and that is indeed all they offer. I guess it's for folks who don't want to look for themselves. My guess is that most folks hiring them would expect more than what they will 
[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'd have to ask my son about transfer speed. I think the fastest that fibe offers. I just know the money transfers very quickly out of my account  Wink   Grin   SN devil

I've thought about using kutko's services because I have little time and zero interest in doing the research.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-15, 02:30 PM)on2ndthought Wrote:
(2018-09-15, 02:27 PM)Captain aHab Wrote: [quote pid='995324' dateline='1537036757']

Just read about kutko and that is indeed all they offer. I guess it's for folks who don't want to look for themselves. My guess is that most folks hiring them would expect more than what they will get.

You'd have to ask my son about transfer speed. I think the fastest that fibe offers. I just know the money transfers very quickly out of my account  Wink   Grin   SN devil
[/quote]

Icon_razz
Thanks given by:
live tv is the main reason still many are with cable companies. Like me..cost me 200 ish for the services.
One of my friend watch the games on YouTube channels, very good quality, but with a bit of delay.
(2018-09-15, 11:36 AM)Leb7 Wrote:
(2018-09-15, 11:02 AM)DSlyburger Wrote: I figured some of you on this forum must be experts on this. To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with spending $15-20 per month just for Habs games. But I don't want a full cable box or package. Once you cut the cord, there's no going back. I experimented with Bell Fibe Alt TV but they charge like $8 per extra channel. And the base plan doesn't include RDS or TVA SPORTS. It would have ended up being the same price as regular TV. Plus, it's not chromecast compatible. So you need to watch on your computer or mobile/tablet. No thanks.

Are you in the Habs regional area or out of it as I am? The options would be different I guess.
I live in the Montreal area but haven't found a solution for Habs games yet outside of subscribing to TV

Thanks given by: