Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champion's League
When the options are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Porto, Leverkusen, Sevilla, and Benfica, then yes I would say Sevilla would be a much preferred draw. I would likely have rated Sevilla 4th on that list of teams I'd wished to play, right behind Porto and ahead of Benfica. When you're at this level of the Champions League, it's not like your picking between trash like Zorya and Celtic - these are all quality teams. But I think you'd have to be nuts to suggest drawing Bayern is preferable to Sevilla, despite their respective domestic results so far. Looking at Sevilla's fixtures list, they have really only had one result that made me turn my head, which was a 1 -0 defeat of Atletico.

Arsenal will likely lose to Bayern, but the prospect of playing the second leg at home is appealing. Score a goal in Munich and don't give up more then 3, and we've got a shot.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-12, 11:40 AM)Busby Wrote: encore...do you watch football mate?  Sevilla was the "eviable" draw?  Maybe I don't see what you do, but Sevilla have won Europa three years on the trot I think.  Sevilla finished second to Juve in the group and are a point back of Barcelona in La Liga.

Arsenal have already defeated themselves with this draw.  The boffin fans with the stats have already pointed out Arsenal have flown to Germany more times in the last three years than the RAF did in the 40's.  Classic Arsenal mentality. Which one of your players will you blame for the loss I wonder? Giroud or Walcott?  Maybe a new flavour?  Surely not Ozil?  He'll sign.  Don't worry.  You wouldn't dare blame Cech would you?  He was the gift from Chelsea!

As for midweek in Ukraine, yeah, I like it Arsenal.  I like my football team.  Do you like yours?  Not sure about that.  I think like most, they like to see Man United do no good or anything more than their own team winning.  The good news for Arsenal/Chelsea fans both teams have one more fixture against United, so you can kill two birds with one stone.  Endearingly, Liverpool fans don't seem to give a **** about us one way or the other, which is kind of cool.

Update, Pogba used is right foot 98% vs Spurs and his left foot mostly for standing.  There's a left foot clause in his contract that my mate down the pub was telling me.  Word is, if he doesn't use is left foot a cumulative score of greater than %10 of the total matches this year with a standard deviation no less than 0.2%, then United have to pay Juve and Raiola a %3000 bonus on the transfer fee.  There is also word around the south london pubs that Zlatan can't find a place to live with a warm bed and he's apparently told the club he wants to leave.  He also, according to my mate, wants to play for Chelsea.  Everyone has Chelsea in their hearts, but they're afraid to win too much so they don't come to Chelsea.  I also bet my mate down the pub that Daley Blind will not be able to wear his hair in a bun every game.  I got good odds on it.
Jeebus, Bus, where were you on Friday night when I was tipping the Glen? It's Monday afternoon and I'm sober.  I reserve the right to pull this post up on Friday night.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
fair enough encore. I think this stage of the Champions League and with the new (I guess it's old now) format, the draw is always going to be a tough one. I think two leg football is hard to predict at the best of times. I think any of these teams can lose to anyone at this stage. I get that if Leicester got Bayern and won, then it would be considered an upset, but based on the fact the teams have come out of a four team group of the elite teams of Europe, I think there's no easy draw.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-12, 01:19 PM)encore Wrote: When the options are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Porto, Leverkusen, Sevilla, and Benfica, then yes I would say Sevilla would be a much preferred draw. I would likely have rated Sevilla 4th on that list of teams I'd wished to play, right behind Porto and ahead of Benfica. When you're at this level of the Champions League, it's not like your picking between trash like Zorya and Celtic - these are all quality teams. But I think you'd have to be nuts to suggest drawing Bayern is preferable to Sevilla, despite their respective domestic results so far. Looking at Sevilla's fixtures list, they have really only had one result that made me turn my head, which was a 1 -0 defeat of Atletico.

Arsenal will likely lose to Bayern, but the prospect of playing the second leg at home is appealing. Score a goal in Munich and don't give up more then 3, and we've got a shot.

Very defeatist, or maybe you are just protecting yourself from the pain. 
Munich haven't had a great CL record considering how dominant they have been domestically. I think it's a great match up for Arsenal, and having the home leg second sets it up nicely.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-13, 08:24 AM)miltonred Wrote:
(2016-12-12, 01:19 PM)encore Wrote: When the options are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Porto, Leverkusen, Sevilla, and Benfica, then yes I would say Sevilla would be a much preferred draw. I would likely have rated Sevilla 4th on that list of teams I'd wished to play, right behind Porto and ahead of Benfica. When you're at this level of the Champions League, it's not like your picking between trash like Zorya and Celtic - these are all quality teams. But I think you'd have to be nuts to suggest drawing Bayern is preferable to Sevilla, despite their respective domestic results so far. Looking at Sevilla's fixtures list, they have really only had one result that made me turn my head, which was a 1 -0 defeat of Atletico.

Munich haven't had a great CL record considering how dominant they have been domestically. I think it's a great match up for Arsenal, and having the home leg second sets it up nicely.

Indeed.  Bring on Bayern, again.  Wishing for an easier draw just suggests lack of faith in the the squad.  Arsenal are talking about current records, making comparisons that our current run of form hasn't been duplicated since the Invincibles .... and yet, surprisingly, there were many fans hoping for the path of least resistance?  Makes no sense. We stunned everyone last year with a 2-0 victory and I truly believe we are a much better Club since then.  THIS Gooner isn't whinging about the draw and I'm looking forward to testing our, much improved, mettle once more against the Bavarian giants.  

I'm sure Arsenal will suggest that I have my head in the clouds .... but my team puts it there.

Thanks given by:
(2016-12-13, 08:52 AM)Gooner Wrote:
(2016-12-13, 08:24 AM)miltonred Wrote:

Indeed.  Bring on Bayern, again.  Wishing for an easier draw just suggests lack of faith in the the squad.  Arsenal are talking about current records, making comparisons that our current run of form hasn't been duplicated since the Invincibles .... and yet, surprisingly, there were many fans hoping for the path of least resistance?  Makes no sense. We stunned everyone last year with a 2-0 victory and I truly believe we are a much better Club since then.  THIS Gooner isn't whinging about the draw and I'm looking forward to testing our, much improved, mettle once more against the Bavarian giants.  

I'm sure Arsenal will suggest that I have my head in the clouds .... but my team puts it there.
I'm with you this time around.  Mustafi's hamstring should be healed by then, and Mertesacker should be ready to go too.
Thanks given by:
No doubt Arsenal are better then last year. Having Sanchez up front has paid off huge
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-13, 10:12 AM)encore Wrote: No doubt Arsenal are better then last year. Having Sanchez up front has paid off huge

Agreed.  Arsène is demonstrating some ruthless managing.  Sanchez is effective on the right, or left, but we get our biggest bang for the buck allowing him a free role to seek out goals.  Then, when he allows Ozil and Sanchez to play together, rather than on opposite sides of the pitch, we really are treated to some artful play.  It's a ballsy move to bench our 'proper centre forward', Giroud, but Wenger seems to be able to keep the man motivated because he charges onto the pitch with 20 Minutes to go seemingly full of belief.

All I see are game faces all over the pitch for us these days.  I'm still waiting on either ox, or theo to stake a solid claim as a 90 minute player.  Mustafi's latest hammy issues are a blow, because Gabriel and Holding inspire very little confidence.
Thanks given by:
Reminder....mid week games this week starting today! Everton up next. Oh happy day!
Thanks given by:
That defensive showing vs Everton wasn't exactly inspiring. Ozil, you'll see on Williams goal, has a long way to go offering anything defensively. He may as well have gone and stood on the centre dot.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-13, 11:07 PM)Busby Wrote: That defensive showing vs Everton wasn't exactly inspiring.  Ozil, you'll see on Williams goal, has a long way to go offering anything defensively.  He may as well have gone and stood on the centre dot.

I thought Koscielny was a tad suspect on both goals, but we weren't too bad overall.  Everton wanted it more, and they worked their tails off to get the result.  We're going to miss Mustafi.  A tremendous psychological blow as I believe we're undefeated with him in the lineup.  Next up...citeh....the epl is one helluva competition ain't it?
Thanks given by:
It is now thanks to the Arabian oil money.

The best name I've heard for the City v Chelsea game was the "El Plastico". Or "Oil Plastico"

Just brilliant stuff. The tactical football is kind of shit though. I'm really not enjoying some of these cagey games. Especially how Chelsea are going about things. They're utter shite to watch under Conte. Theyr'e getting the points though, so no arguments there. I will be keen to see how he manages injuries, although this method of play isn't exactly stressful for them. They could technically play three games a week like this and win 1-0 or 2-1 every time.
Thanks given by:
Milt, remember that time you said United needed to go 2pts/gm for the rest of the season.

Last 5 games = 1.8/gm
Since your comment = 2.3/gm
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-15, 01:29 PM)theDC Wrote: Milt, remember that time you said United needed to go 2pts/gm for the rest of the season.

Last 5 games = 1.8/gm

That's very exciting for you. You think you can maintain that over the next 23 games? 
Hope. Dashed. Hope. Dashed. Hope...
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-16, 12:07 AM)miltonred Wrote:
(2016-12-15, 01:29 PM)theDC Wrote: Milt, remember that time you said United needed to go 2pts/gm for the rest of the season.

Last 5 games = 1.8/gm

That's very exciting for you. You think you can maintain that over the next 23 games? 
Hope. Dashed. Hope. Dashed. Hope...

You don't think they can?

By the end of this month, they'll have gone 2 months without losing, a record of 5-4-0, and January isn't looking tough at all either.
Thanks given by:
Dude we aren't getting close to the league. Chelsea's point advantage is huge. They would have to blow up big time and the brand of football they're currently playing isn't conducive to that. Frankly, I don't think City can catch them at this point. There's a lot left to go but Chelsea seemed to have used up their shitty bit of form at the very start of the season.

If they get injuries then maybe they will lose points, but it really doesn't look like that's going to happen as they're playing some real low risk football at the moment.
Thanks given by:
Credit where credit is due, United have won three in a row, and pulled back points on top four current clubs. Anything from 6 points on Arsenal to potentially 5 points on Liverpool, depending on today's result.

I think they are on a nice run and don't have any super tough fixtures in the next little while. I can see them being in the top four when the Xmas fixtures are done, if they win all their games.

I don't see anyone really pushing Chelsea. I think we know enough about them now to see they are very strong. Nobody has ever failed to win the Premier League with this number of points at this stage, and I don't think that record is in any real danger. Their only risk is the heavy reliance on Costas goals.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-19, 02:22 PM)Busby Wrote: Dude we aren't getting close to the league.  Chelsea's point advantage is huge.  They would have to blow up big time and the brand of football they're currently playing isn't conducive to that.  Frankly, I don't think City can catch them at this point.  There's a lot left to go but Chelsea seemed to have used up their shitty bit of form at the very start of the season.  

If they get injuries then maybe they will lose points, but it really doesn't look like that's going to happen as they're playing some real low risk football at the moment.

2nd, not first Busby, never said they'd win the league.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-19, 02:33 PM)miltonred Wrote: Credit where credit is due, United have won three in a row, and pulled back points on top four current clubs. Anything from 6 points on Arsenal to potentially 5 points on Liverpool, depending on today's result.

I think they are on a nice run and don't have any super tough fixtures in the next little while. I can see them being in the top four when the Xmas fixtures are done, if they win all their games.

I don't see anyone really pushing Chelsea. I think we know enough about them now to see they are very strong. Nobody has ever failed to win the Premier League with this number of points at this stage, and I don't think that record is in any real danger. Their only risk is the heavy reliance on Costas goals.

Costa is a violent outburst away from some real time off, they'd struggle big without him, but they're way too far ahead to drop off that substantially IMO.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-19, 03:24 PM)theDC Wrote:
(2016-12-19, 02:22 PM)Busby Wrote: Dude we aren't getting close to the league.  Chelsea's point advantage is huge.  They would have to blow up big time and the brand of football they're currently playing isn't conducive to that.  Frankly, I don't think City can catch them at this point.  There's a lot left to go but Chelsea seemed to have used up their shitty bit of form at the very start of the season.  

2nd, not first Busby, never said they'd win the league.

OK my apologies.  We could definitely claw back to second.  I think the trailing teams are all playing about as well as eachother.  

The merseyside derby is good watching at the moment.  A nice amount of physical play.  Some shit passing and exciting moments as well.  

Everton are subbing in their back up keeper.  This should be interesting now.
Thanks given by: