Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clear collusion in cell phone plans
Not sure what it's like in regions outside of Quebec but here all companies suddenly changed their plan profiles all at once and now do not for the most part offer much in between 2G or 9G of data and, if they do, then the pricing is almost the same as for 9G (or it's on 3G networks only). This looks suspiciously like when cell phone manufacturers said SD cards were this huge threat (to their pocketbooks I guess) and had phones with no SD slot (or simply did not work well with the card) and either low Gigs or 30+ Gigs of memory only to force you to pay the gouging premium.

The guy I spoke with at the Fido store even worded it as "yeah, all the companies met and decided to change at the same time".

How the hell is that not collusion? Not that I'm expecting governments to do anything about it since the oil companies have been doing this for years and getting pass after pass.

You gotta laugh at companies telling governments they need no interference in markets but then pulling stuff like that to remove competition.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
I've been on the same plan since probably 2011. Unlimited talk and text and 2GB of monthly data. It's not alot of data but at the time this was the average plan without paying $100+. I was paying $65 plus tax and basically I havent changed the plan but two years ago I tried to get a new phone upgrade since my contract was done and they wouldn't give me one without upgrading to a "new plan". When I asked what the new plan was, they told me the cheapest upgrade is unlimited talk and text with 2GB of data for $90+tx a month....huh?

I told them that's the exact plan I already have but you basically want to charge me an $25 extra a month so that I become eligible for a phone upgrade. I understand they need to "recoup" the cost of the phone but I've been a Roger's customer since 2004 and the only thing they offered to give me was an extra GB of data per month for my loyalty.

So I decided to just buy a used phone outright on kijiji and have been using it since without changing my plan. It's a scam I tell ya!
Thanks given by:
https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/...sm-anyways

Wink

I have nothing to back this up, but I have a feeling Canada has allowed a mobile phone oligarchy more abusive to the consumer than even the USA. The only way customers seem to be able to get relief is to often switch providers, which is why the majors try to offer incentives for switching over. I definitely feel as though the industry could use more regulation.
Thanks given by: Sensanity
(2019-08-12, 08:25 AM)poppabyrd Wrote: https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/...sm-anyways  

Wink

I have nothing to back this up, but I have a feeling Canada has allowed a mobile phone oligarchy more abusive to the consumer than even the USA.  The only way customers seem to be able to get relief is to often switch providers, which is why the majors try to offer incentives for switching over.  I definitely feel as though the industry could use more regulation.

Except that all of them changed at once. That's like saying "if you don't like the price of gas at this station, go to the other where it is exactly the same."
Thanks given by:
Ah yes.....that does sound like collusion. And yes, gas stations tend to do the same thing ahead of a long weekend.

I don't live in BC, but this sounds interesting:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c...-1.5154377
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:11 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: So I decided to just buy a used phone outright on kijiji and have been using it since without changing my plan. It's a scam I tell ya!
That's what I've been doing for years now.  I buy my phones outright and then go with the best plan.  The added bonus is when I'm in the States or Europe for extended periods I can easily buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card.  No need to pay roaming charges.
Thanks given by:
I’m happy with the phone I have and just switched last month to Public Mobile. Yes, it’s on a 3G network but I have unlimited talk and text, 1GB data for $25/month. I could upgrade to 5GB of data for $40/month (may still do that as the plan is very flexible that way).
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:42 AM)poppabyrd Wrote: Ah yes.....that does sound like collusion.  And yes, gas stations tend to do the same thing ahead of a long weekend.  

I don't live in BC, but this sounds interesting:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c...-1.5154377

From memory, the Feds have done something like that twice on gas and came back saying there was nothing to see.

Expecting pretty much the same thing from this.

The only real imposition government has made on cell companies was to remove their ability to force you to stay in contracts regardless of whether they changed conditions or not. Which was completely ridiculous from the get-go.

There must be some mad money getting funneled from cell companies to party coffers one way or another.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:25 AM)poppabyrd Wrote: https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/...sm-anyways  

Wink

I have nothing to back this up, but I have a feeling Canada has allowed a mobile phone oligarchy more abusive to the consumer than even the USA.  The only way customers seem to be able to get relief is to often switch providers, which is why the majors try to offer incentives for switching over.  I definitely feel as though the industry could use more regulation.
I think you're absolutely right.  There is an oligarchy going on and we are paying dearly for it.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:49 AM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: I’m happy with the phone I have and just switched last month to Public Mobile.  Yes, it’s on a 3G network but I have unlimited talk and text, 1GB data for $25/month.  I could upgrade to 5GB of data for $40/month (may still do that as the plan is very flexible that way).

Wow, for Canada $40/month for 5GBs is excellent.  I never heard of Public Mobile before.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:49 AM)Sensanity Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 08:11 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: So I decided to just buy a used phone outright on kijiji and have been using it since without changing my plan. It's a scam I tell ya!
That's what I've been doing for years now.  I buy my phones outright and then go with the best plan.  The added bonus is when I'm in the States or Europe for extended periods I can easily buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card.  No need to pay roaming charges.

We bring all our phones...the prices for BYOP plans has gone up, not just for plans where you buy a phone. I suspect that lots of people now bring their own phones and the cell companies moving as one is to take away some of the ability to move from one provider to another.
I only have basic $25.00+ taxes plan for my iPhone. I do not have data, my choice but Rogers keeps trying very hard by offering too good to be true deals. I am home about 60% of the time and don’t use the phone connected to wi-fi only to download updates when they become due. So sorry folks I can offer no insight to this discussion! Happy
Sometimes Facts and Truth Hurt !!!
Thanks given by:

Here’s a comparison. Australian plans.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
We are being robbed blind.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:11 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: I've been on the same plan since probably 2011. Unlimited talk and text and 2GB of monthly data. It's not alot of data but at the time this was the average plan without paying $100+. I was paying $65 plus tax and basically I havent changed the plan but two years ago I tried to get a new phone upgrade since my contract was done and they wouldn't give me one without upgrading to a "new plan". When I asked what the new plan was, they told me the cheapest upgrade is unlimited talk and text with 2GB of data for $90+tx a month....huh?

I told them that's the exact plan I already have but you basically want to charge me an $25 extra a month so that I become eligible for a phone upgrade. I understand they need to "recoup" the cost of the phone but I've been a Roger's customer since 2004 and the only thing they offered to give me was an extra GB of data per month for my loyalty.

So I decided to just buy a used phone outright on kijiji and have been using it since without changing my plan. It's a scam I tell ya!

Ryu, I have not bought a phone in 12 years. My daughter has an excellent plan through her employer and every three years she gets a mandated notice that a new phone, included in her plan is available for her if she wants it. The plan is negotiated with cell company by her employer so rarely changed year over year. I had an iPhone 4s first, now I have iPhone 6s all we do is swap out the dim card. She has an iPhone X now and loves it so this one I have is good also!
Thanks given by:
I got the 10GB for $60 no contract plan back on that big day when Rogers, Bell, etc. all offered it and the phone lines were full. It sucked when they all collectively increased it to $65 at the same time.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:59 AM)Sensanity Wrote: We are being robbed blind.

YES WE ARE!!!!
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
One of my favourite things too is that Fido offers you the ability to have a home phone, for $13 a month. That home phone is fundamentally a cell phone without a receiver. But if you take it on the road and bring a receiver, it works, just like a cell. My wife's parents took one like that on the road as snow birds.

I've had fun discussions with Fido staff about that and why it is so impossible for them to offer an actual cell phone plan with no data for $13 a month when they already pretty much are.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-12, 08:54 AM)Sensanity Wrote:
(2019-08-12, 08:49 AM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: I’m happy with the phone I have and just switched last month to Public Mobile.  Yes, it’s on a 3G network but I have unlimited talk and text, 1GB data for $25/month.  I could upgrade to 5GB of data for $40/month (may still do that as the plan is very flexible that way).

Wow, for Canada $40/month for 5GBs is excellent.  I never heard of Public Mobile before.

If you, or anybody else in here, decide to switch over send me a PM.  They even have an incentive plan we’re you get an extra $1 off per month for every referral for as long as they stick with the plan. We could all be doing so much better.
(2019-08-12, 08:57 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Here’s a comparison. Australian plans.

It's because they have kangaroos and Vegemite. We don't have them so plans have to be higher.
Thanks given by: