Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearing the puck vs. dumping the puck
Hi,

Shady posted a chart of some stats from the Athletic but we could not determine what 2 of the attributes mean:

Clear puck = ?

Dump puck = ?

To me both involve getting the puck to opposition zone but what is the difference? Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks given by:
I didn't see the chart or anything involved but I'm guess its meant when a team enters the zone are they "dumping" the puck and then skating into the zone to retrieve or are they "clearing" the zone with a nice breakout and gaining speed through the neutral zone with possession to set up.
I don't want to be your friend!
Thanks given by:
https://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/...pid1170061

The chart is in this thread in post 11.
Thanks given by:
Really depends on the makeup of your roster.

Big physical teams are built for dump n chase, teams like the Leafs should hang onto the puck as much as possible and control their zone entries.

I much prefer an attempt at a controlled entry versus voluntarily surrendering the puck and attempting to get it back.
Thanks given by:
I've never played hockey, so the details of the game are not my thing. When I hear 'Clear the puck' to me it means getting it out of the zone so the 'udderteam' has to also clear out, thus eliminating their ability to score on you.. Then you go get the puck and either dump it in, or stick handle and get caught for a t.o. at the blueline (See Henrik, Edler) . OR the bad guys keep possession and re gain the zone. OR just shoot it on net like Larry Robinson did, from outside the blueline.. and you might even get a goal. N-ah! just dump it in on Pouliot's side Wink   I like the dump and aggressive forecheck best of all. Seems that less can go wrong

So can I take the  faceoff? (Had the same face since birth, although it is a bit weathered now)
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-02, 11:52 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: Really depends on the makeup of your roster.

Big physical teams are built for dump n chase, teams like the Leafs should hang onto the puck as much as possible and control their zone entries.

I much prefer an attempt at a controlled entry versus voluntarily surrendering the puck and attempting to get it back.

Question: Which team gives up more odd man rushes? The finesse teams, or the dump and bang/chase teams? I am betting on the former
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by:
almost all of the teams you see win the game/cup has more possession then the other team. if you do either of those you're just giving the puck away.

you either dump it in and chase it, and try and keep possession. clearing the puck should only be an "under pressure" type of reaction.
Thanks given by: Highstyx