Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colangelo busted for having burner accounts
This is a huge, huge story. Bryan Colangelo is being accused of running five "burner" accounts on Twitter, for the purposes of:

- Trying to convince Philadelphia media members to question 76ers players about undisclosed information (such as failed physicals)
- Slagging multiple former/current players, including Joel Embiid and Markelle Fultz
- Blaming Masai Ujiri for the Raptors current situation (note: Ujiri replaced Colangelo in Toronto)
- Defending his own trades (such as the Noel and Okafor deals) and blaming former GM Sam Hinkie (who is now kind of a beloved sports figure in Philly)
- Most importantly, defending the overly large collars on his shirts

This is a really wild story that will definitely result in his firing and probably end his career in the NBA. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29/...elle-fultz
Thanks given by:
That is absolutely bizarre
Thanks given by:
Very Trump like
Thanks given by:
Colangelo admits to using 1 of the accounts,  but not the other 4.

Question,   how could anybody possibly trace these accounts back to Colangelo to begin with?    That's the whole point of a burner account/ number,   No one knows who you are!
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-30, 09:31 AM)CTS Wrote: Colangelo admits to using 1 of the accounts,  but not the other 4.

Question,   how could anybody possibly trace these accounts back to Colangelo to begin with?    That's the whole point of a burner account/ number,   No one knows who you are!

They went on the twitter accounts and went through the lost password function and that returned that a new password had been sent to a phone number ending in 91 (or whatever). For three of the accounts, it referred to that same number. Going to hazard a guess that some of the media have a number ending in 91 as a Colangelo number. But maybe not. If Colangelo wasn't using a burner phone to set up his twitter accounts, it'll be tracked to him.

All three of these accounts have now magically been locked. I guess it's just pure coincidence.  Grin
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by: CTS
Sounds like a rookie move then by Colangelo. He must not know how technology works. I was listening to the Team 1260 today in Edmonton & they asked one of the guests if he thinks that any of the local Edmonton media use burner accounts & he said absolutely 100% yes
Thanks given by:
Burner accounts are all the rave now!

Kevin Durant
Skip Bayless

and now Bryan Colangelo
Thanks given by:
This story is hilarious but there is no proof that it was Colangelo. Frankly, i don't think it was him.

Thanks given by:
I read an article at The Athletic and it stated that he admitted to one of the accounts - it was one with no tweets and he said he used it to keep up with industry matters. At least I think that's what it said, when I said "I read" i really meant "I skimmed".
Thanks given by:
There's all kinds of smoke. I think there must be fire. Whether anyone can prove it or not, the appearance is damning. Whether or not he is fired, this scandal will dog his footsteps.
---
"Obviously, probably, you know, scoring probably helps." - Carey Price
Thanks given by:
One of the pieces of “evidence” for those accounts being his is that they followed people he knew like friends and family.

That makes me suspicious.

Not of him, but of someone trying to set him up.

What level of stupid would you have to be to follow your family members on a burner twitter account? I assume you’re already following them on your main account? Do you think they need some extra follows? Maybe someone in the organization who doesn’t like him and knew about his second twitter account set up the others? That would also explain why they all went private at the same time. They could know that the Ringer was snooping? Maybe even pointed them in the direction?

It is just an all around weird story. Seems like either Colangelo is monumentally stupid or someone went to a lot of trouble to make him look bad.
Thanks given by:
Unless the 76ers can come up with some fool proof evidence that he DIDN’T do this, I think he’s gone. The reputation of the 76ers and their ability to recruit players is going to be severely hampered. He already has an awful reputation for some awful trades and for basically taking over a team that Sam Hinkie built.
Thanks given by:
I'm on the innocent until proven guilty side. This is a big accusation. If they can prove that Colangelo did it, then that's it - his career is over.

I want evidence though.

Thanks given by:
(2018-05-30, 02:25 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: This story is hilarious but there is no proof that it was Colangelo. Frankly, i don't think it was him.

But it's a lot more fun to think that it was.  Grin
Thanks given by: FormalWare
Apparently Colangelo's wife's phone number has been linked to 3 of the burner accounts. I wonder if she's trying to set him up.
Thanks given by:
One of the burner accounts would also be live tweeting while Colangelo was holding a presser. Maybe they're not all him after all? Can you program tweets to post at certain times?
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-31, 09:02 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote: Apparently Colangelo's wife's phone number has been linked to 3 of the burner accounts. I wonder if she's trying to set him up.

Why would she be setting him up but taking the time to tweet to defend the style of shirt collars he wears?
Thanks given by:
According to Woj, the 76ers and Colangelo have parted ways. It sounds like it was his wife who was behind the accounts, which if Colangelo was unaware of, would make this pretty unfortunate for him. It was hard to imagine any scenario where Colangelo was keeping his job after this fiasco.
Thanks given by:
This is nuts. His wife has just cost him his job. I don't doubt he didn't know about it and she got all this information over the dinner table.
Thanks given by: