Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirmed: Apple Releases a $999 Monitor...Stand

Thanks given by:
It comes with a free subscription to GOOP.
Thanks given by:
Apple knows their customers.
I was warned about the dangers of getting old, but I did it anyways. 
Thanks given by:
Finally. It was proving too difficult to type with one hand and hold the monitor in the other.
Thanks given by:
Garbage company. Garbage products. They will eventually fall by the wayside.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 59p9w7i8gt331.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...2452802cfe]
They could indeed market the coat hanger stand for under $999 but I hear there are some patent issues involved with the coat hanger.
I was warned about the dangers of getting old, but I did it anyways. 
Thanks given by:
As someone with a bunch of Apple products, I disagree that their products are garbage.

I personally wouldn't buy that stand, hell, I wouldn't buy that computer, only because I have no need for a $10k+ model of anything not called a car/house.
Thanks given by: Bong13
(2019-06-12, 10:24 AM)divit Wrote: Apple knows their customers.

They do know their customers for these particular products, and it's not us. The Mac Pro, the XDR monitor, and the stand are not really being marketed to the average home user surfing the internet, it's really meant for professional applications.  How well it holds up to the competition in that market, I don't know, but I do know this isn't a setup the average person needs.

It was still a major gaffe, though. They should have just said the entire monitor costs $6000 bucks, but if you do not want the stand, they'll take off a $1000.
Thanks given by: theDC , theDC
(2019-06-12, 11:45 AM)theDC Wrote: As someone with a bunch of Apple products, I disagree that their products are garbage.

I personally wouldn't buy that stand, hell, I wouldn't buy that computer, only because I have no need for a $10k+ model of anything not called a car/house.

I like their products, too.  I have used imac's for years, mostly for recording with Logic Pro X, which is the DAW I am most comfortable working with.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-12, 11:31 AM)Fritz Wrote: [Image: 59p9w7i8gt331.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...2452802cfe]

^^Coming to Apple stores in 2020.  The iHanger.  Suggested retail price - $129.99
Thanks given by: divit
(2019-06-12, 11:54 AM)Fritz Wrote:

They do know their customers for these particular products, and it's not us. The Mac Pro, the XDR monitor, and the stand are not really being marketed to the average home user surfing the internet, it's really meant for professional applications.  How well it holds up to the competition in that market, I don't know, but I do know this isn't a setup the average person needs.

It was still a major gaffe, though. They should have just said the entire monitor costs $6000 bucks, but if you do not want the stand, they'll take off a $1000.

It's not for the average desktop user, but that still doesn't explain the $999 pricetag.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-12, 03:17 PM)Unreal Wrote:

It's not for the average desktop user, but that still doesn't explain the $999 pricetag.

Fair, I'd be curious to see what makes it that price. Is there actual tech included? Or is it literally just a thing that holds the monitor like any stand?
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-12, 11:31 AM)Fritz Wrote: [Image: 59p9w7i8gt331.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...2452802cfe]

"Looks like we got a hanger, sarge."
Thanks given by:
You can tell that guy is thinking, "if only if they made some sort of portable computer."
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-12, 03:36 PM)theDC Wrote:

Fair, I'd be curious to see what makes it that price. Is there actual tech included? Or is it literally just a thing that holds the monitor like any stand?

"The Pro Stand has an intricately engineered arm that perfectly counterbalances the display so it feels virtually weightless, allowing users to easily place it into position," 

So, it moves up and down and side to side?  Well worth $1000, obviously.

From what I understand, for what it is, the monitor itself is actually very reasonably priced, and it was stupid for them to sell the stand separately.  The internet would not have exploded if they just sold the entire unit at $6000.  Some of the Monitors used in film studios are probably quadruple the price, but they come with a stand, lol.  

The Mac Pro, the Monitor, the stand, it's all so expensive anyway, most of the people complaining are probably not even interested in this product in the first place. I feel like this is a setup that companies or movie studios are going to be purchasing, and I doubt they care how much the individual components are worth.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-06-12, 11:45 AM)theDC Wrote: As someone with a bunch of Apple products, I disagree that their products are garbage.

100% fully agree. I started out with a hand me down 1st iPad (still works for internet application), then went through two iPad minis, (Both still work but one was older and apps I like could be upgraded), and then as a gift from my wife and daughter a 13" Refurbished MacBook Air. And a hand me down iPhone 4s and now a 6s. he best products I have ever had. No more Windows devices!
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-12, 07:20 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2019-06-12, 03:36 PM)theDC Wrote:

"The Pro Stand has an intricately engineered arm that perfectly counterbalances the display so it feels virtually weightless, allowing users to easily place it into position," 

So, it moves up and down and side to side?  Well worth $1000, obviously.

From what I understand, for what it is, the monitor itself is actually very reasonably priced, and it was stupid for them to sell the stand separately.  The internet would not have exploded if they just sold the entire unit at $6000.  Some of the Monitors used in film studios are probably quadruple the price, but they come with a stand, lol.  

The Mac Pro, the Monitor, the stand, it's all so expensive anyway, most of the people complaining are probably not even interested in this product in the first place. I feel like this is a setup that companies or movie studios are going to be purchasing, and I doubt they care how much the individual components are worth.

That's the problem with this monitor - it doesn't really hold up as a reference quality display, even though it claims to be aiming at that market. Those other monitors are quadruple the price for a reason.

Mac Pros aren't for the casual user, but they aren't just for film studios either. They're also marketed towards creative professionals and small design studios. In this market, $1,000 extra is a considerable investment, especially for something like a stand lol.

In a lot of ways it shows how out of touch with reality Apple has become.
Thanks given by:
Somebody make a knockoff and sell it for less
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: