Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirmed: DeMarre Carroll Traded To The Nets for Justin Hamilton
To the Nets: Demarre Carroll, 2018 1st round pick (lottery protected), 2nd round pick

To Toronto: Justin Hamilton ©

Pretty heavy price to pay for a salary dump.  There are definitely more moves coming up.
Thanks given by:
...baffled by this move...

Carroll AND picks? for Hamilton??
Thanks given by:
It's just a salary dump. Hamilton has 1 year and $3 million left on his contract.

Not only are they moving away from the luxury tax, they'll also have the option of using a higher level exception of over $8 million, instead of the regular exception of $5 million.

There are more moves coming...just goes to show how difficult it is to move underperforming players.
Thanks given by:
Considering that first round pick will likely be around 20-24, I don't think it was too expensive a price to pay. Carroll was massively overpaid, and considering the fact that he was brought in to be some sort of defensive stalwart, he failed miserably and was thus pretty much useless. CJ Miles at $8 million is much, much better then Carroll at $15 million.

I pretty much look at it like this, they saved $7 million by cutting Carroll and adding Miles (which is basically a wash), but by doing this, they were able to bring back both Lowry and Ibaka. Losing a first round pick does suck, but so long as it is heavily protected (ie. top 10 or 15), then losing out on a pick around 20 isn't the end of the world.

I actually thought the moves Masai made were brilliant and are going to allow the Raptors to maintain top-4 competitiveness in a top heavy Eastern Conference.
Thanks given by:
Do you think JV is gone?
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing that getting rid of JV would either require the Raptors to give up something of cheap value (2019 first maybe?) or to take back another big contract, which sort of defeats the purpose because if you deal JV you now have a massive hole at C.

I think the goal was to deal one of JV or Carroll, and they definitely dealt the guy who provided less value to the team. I think JV is a frustrating player, but his salary puts him as something like the 15th best paid C in the league, which is probably roughly where he'd be ranked among NBA C's. It's a lot harder to replace a C then it is a SF, so at this point I'd be pretty surprised if they dealt him.
Thanks given by:
For me what's frustrating about JV is the way he's used.

Isn't Ibaka a better fit as a C right now? That's the only reason I could see him being moved (aside from salary).
Thanks given by:
You make a good point. Centers in the NBA now have to be pretty mobile, something JV isn't. The Raptors played great last year in stretches where Ibaka was used as the C, and that's why I'm not counting the Raps out of the East, because who knows what they can do with a full year of Ibaka.

I'm guessing there's a pretty big gap between what Masai expects in a trade for JV and what others are offering. Maybe the best solution is to hold on to him and hope that either he increases his trade value during the season or other teams realize their need at C with injuries and free agency busts taking their toll.
Thanks given by:
(2017-07-10, 12:10 PM)Unreal Wrote: Do you think JV is gone?

I personally feel he is gone this summer for a player who will fill a hole the Raptors have..i think Casey and Ujiri are pleasantly pleased with the progress from both our picks from last year and that in large part is why i see JV being moved..plus the draft picks being used(Carroll trade) are not really a concern because Toronto currently have quite a few young guys that have promising futures and we can skip one draft without picks..no biggie
Thanks given by:
I'm fine with this trade. Was severely disappointed by Carroll
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: