Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirmed: Microsoft is warning Windows 10 users to update their operating system immediately
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/tech/wind...index.html
New York (CNN Business)Microsoft is warning Windows 10 users to update their operating system immediately because of two "critical" vulnerabilities.

The company said the vulnerabilities are potentially "wormable," meaning affected computers could spread viruses and malware without any action on the user's part.

There are "potentially hundreds of millions of vulnerable computers," Simon Pope, Microsoft's director of Incident Response, wrote in a blog post Tuesday.

"It is important that affected systems are patched as quickly as possible because of the elevated risks associated with wormable vulnerabilities like these, and downloads for these can be found in the Microsoft Security Update Guide," he said.

Windows 10 users that have enabled automatic updates are already protected. For those who update manually, they can click the search button and type "Windows Update" to access the update tool.

Other operating systems, such as Windows XP, are not affected.

Windows 10 is the world's most popular desktop operating system, according to Net Marketshare. Microsoft (MSFT) estimates that more than 800 million devices run Windows 10.
Sometimes Facts and Truth Hurt !!!
Thanks given by:
If you automatic updates turned on, you're fine, the patch has already been downloaded in a previous update.
Thanks given by:
Damnit, if anyone know how to purge the Bing redirect virus on Google Chrome for Mac I could use tips.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 10:13 AM)poppabyrd Wrote: Damnit, if anyone know how to purge the Bing redirect virus on Google Chrome for Mac I could use tips.

I’ve never heard of it but try this https://macsecurity.net/view/226-bing-re...-virus-mac
Don’t blame the butter for what the bread did
Thanks given by: poppabyrd
(2019-08-15, 10:13 AM)poppabyrd Wrote: Damnit, if anyone know how to purge the Bing redirect virus on Google Chrome for Mac I could use tips.

Never heard of it either Poppa. Then again I use Safari much more as I am use to it. Check your Chrome settings as there maybe turned on.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 09:25 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: If you automatic updates turned on, you're fine, the patch has already been downloaded in a previous update.

One of the reasons I went with Apple for all my devices about 6 years ago.
Thanks given by:
Here you go Poppa

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-bing-re...virus.html
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." - Jim Carrey
Thanks given by:
Thanks, will try.  This is one of the more annoying problems.  

FYI, if you are on a Mac and you are prompted for Java and or flash updates, this is how the malware can get on - it's when you type in your system password that it gets granted access.  Look out for those clone update prompts.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf , Mavid
Holy smokes Nanuuk, that worked like a hot damn. Much obliged.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 02:01 PM)poppabyrd Wrote: Thanks, will try.  This is one of the more annoying problems.  

FYI, if you are on a Mac and you are prompted for Java and or flash updates, this is how the malware can get on - it's when you type in your system password that it gets granted access.  Look out for those clone update prompts.

I always close the prompt to update and then go to “System Preferences” and check for updates there.
Don’t blame the butter for what the bread did
Thanks given by: poppabyrd , Nanuuk , Mavid , Mavid
I think my other lappy is fried. It's slowing down and won't type an 'h', 'g', or apostrophy any more.. Sad
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 04:11 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I think my other lappy is fried. It's slowing down and won't type an 'h', 'g', or apostrophy any more.. Sad
Any luck with online troubles_ootin_?  I know, that's often a wild goose chase
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 02:33 PM)poppabyrd Wrote: Holy smokes Nanuuk, that worked like a hot damn.   Much obliged.

Which part? The Re-image software?
Thanks given by:
Since this thread seems to be expanding, another concern of mine is crypto-currency mining. Malware will generate the creation of crypto-currency such as bitcoin from your computer. Browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Opera now have blocks built into them to prevent this. I am not sure about Microsof, but Safari does not do this. You have to add an Ad-Blocker and some Ad-Blockers are a bit sketchy in what they allow or do not allow.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-08-15, 04:12 PM)poppabyrd Wrote:
(2019-08-15, 04:11 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I think my other lappy is fried. It's slowing down and won't type an 'h', 'g', or apostrophy any more.. Sad
Any luck with online troubles_ootin_?  I know, that's often a wild goose chase

I've decided to update instead of pursuing repairing my old one. Even though I hate the thought of a new one.....the old one is like a comfortable pair of shoes and I can't stand Windows 10. That was actually part of the decision process, got an email a couple of weeks ago saying Windows 7 won't be supported by Microsoft after the end of the year.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 04:12 PM)Nanuuk Wrote:
(2019-08-15, 02:33 PM)poppabyrd Wrote: Holy smokes Nanuuk, that worked like a hot damn.   Much obliged.

Which part? The Re-image software?

The Malware Bytes actually got the offending items off the computer, and my search functions were restored.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2019-08-15, 04:19 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Since this thread seems to be expanding, another concern of mine is crypto-currency mining. Malware will generate the creation of crypto-currency such as bitcoin from your computer. Browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Opera now have blocks built into them to prevent this. I am not sure about Microsof, but Safari does not do this. You have to add an Ad-Blocker and some Ad-Blockers are a bit sketchy in what they allow or do not allow.

I.....can't say I understand crypto-currency mining.  Other computers will interact with yours in the process?  (ie. you are vulnerable when others mine bitcoin?)
Thanks given by:
There's something called Combofix that is pretty much the tool of last resort. If nothing else works, give that a try. But you have to know what you're doing and it might not work. Twice in my life I've been faced with stubborn malware and twice it got rid of it.

Malwarebytes also bought a tiny bit of software called Adwcleaner. That is very good as well and safer than Combofix.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by: poppabyrd
I've never had to use it for malware, but CleanMyMac X is a very handy program.

And Little Snitch is my #1 security app for the Mac. Would never use a computer again without it.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-08-16, 10:14 AM)poppabyrd Wrote:
(2019-08-15, 04:19 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Since this thread seems to be expanding, another concern of mine is crypto-currency mining. Malware will generate the creation of crypto-currency such as bitcoin from your computer. Browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Opera now have blocks built into them to prevent this. I am not sure about Microsof, but Safari does not do this. You have to add an Ad-Blocker and some Ad-Blockers are a bit sketchy in what they allow or do not allow.

I.....can't say I understand crypto-currency mining.  Other computers will interact with yours in the process?  (ie. you are vulnerable when others mine bitcoin?)

As I understand it, certain code infects your machine and it will create bits of crypto currency that is transmitted to another server where it is added to other bits to create a whole bitcoin or some other currency. It can slow your computer down not too different from bit torrent activity.

It must becoming more wide spread and a 'thing' for web browsers to add protection to prevent the activity.
Thanks given by: