Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirmed: Roy Halladay’s No. 32 To Be Retired
Toronto Blue Jays to retire Roy Halladay’s No. 32

TORONTO — The Toronto Blue Jays will retire former pitcher Roy (Doc) Halladay’s No. 32 on opening day.

Halladay, 40, died Nov. 7, 2017 when the plane he was flying crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.

The Jays will retire Halladay’s uniform March 29 when they host the New York Yankees at Rogers Centre. He’ll join Roberto Alomar (No. 12) as the only players in club history to have their jerseys retired.

“Through Roy’s values, pride, work ethic, and perseverance, he epitomized what it means to be a Blue Jay,” club president/CEO Mark Shapiro said in a statement. “And while his legacy is clear, it goes far beyond the number on his back or his on-field accomplishments, serving as a shining example of how to live a meaningful life and positively impact others.”

The Blue Jays will also celebrate Halladay’s life and career prior to the game and a No. 32 patch will adorn the club’s uniforms throughout the 2018 season, including spring training.

Halladay spent 12 seasons with Toronto, amassing a 148-75 record in 313 games. He captured the ’03 Cy Young Award after winning a club-record 22 games and made six all-star appearances as a Blue Jay.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/tor...ays-no-32/
Thanks given by:
Nice.

Deserved...more than just "level of excellence"

Hope entry to the Hall is next
Thanks given by:
I hope they retire some other numbers too. Dave Stieb comes to mind.
Thanks given by:
Too little too late.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-12, 02:30 PM)Lumbergh Wrote: Too little too late.

Not sure what that even means to be honest.

Are you implying they should have done it sooner (Halladay only retired in 2014) or that they should do more (not sure what that would even be)?
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-12, 11:55 AM)Unreal Wrote: I hope they retire some other numbers too.  Dave Stieb comes to mind.

For most everyone else..."Level of Excellence" is enough.  Honoring, without retiring.

Alomar made the Hall, Doc still may, and has extenuating circumstances that merit getting their numbers retired.  No one else needs their number retired yet.
Thanks given by: Justaleafan
(2018-02-12, 04:57 PM)Chris D Wrote:
(2018-02-12, 11:55 AM)Unreal Wrote: I hope they retire some other numbers too.  Dave Stieb comes to mind.

For most everyone else..."Level of Excellence" is enough.  Honoring, without retiring.

Alomar made the Hall, Doc still may, and has extenuating circumstances that merit getting their numbers retired.  No one else needs their number retired yet.

Yeah, i tend to agree. Retiring numbers should really be reserved for truly exceptional players that are strongly associated with one team and/or players who died during their careers (even that is a bit iffy, I dont think the Royals shoudl retire Ventura's number). Some of the numbers that are retired by teams are pretty ridiculous. 

The White Sox retired #3 in honour of Harold Baines. Not only was Baines a pretty average player (he eclipsed 3 bWAR only twice) he played 1100+ games for teams that were not the white sox lol.

The Astros have only existed since 1962 and have retired 9 numbers! . That essentially a number retired every 5 years. 

The Cubs retired Maddux's number despite the fact that almost no one remembers his Cubs tenure and he only played there for 7 years (not including his second pretty bad stint at the end)

Three different teams have retired Nolan Ryans number including the Rangers where he only pitched for 5 years at the very end of his career.
Thanks given by:

Steib's numbers are very close to Halladay's.

You have to believe the tragedy played a part in expediting this. 

That said I have no issue with it.
Thanks given by:
(2018-02-13, 03:37 AM)Sportking Wrote:

Steib's numbers are very close to Halladay's.

Yep...37...32...pretty close Silly
Thanks given by: