Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dale Jr. Retiring from Cup series at end of 2017
I'm a little shocked by this, thought he would've held off on this decision a little longer, especially since he almost had a 2 year extension done with Hendrick before the concussion happened.

Press conference at 3pm this afternoon, I'm sure we'll find out more then. 

Also note the wording, "retiring from Cup series". I know in the past he has said he wants to run a season full-time for his own team, JR Motorsports before he hangs his helmet up. They are an Xfinity series team, so stay tuned to see if that's still part of the plan or not.
Thanks given by:
Tough year for Junior so far. It's been getting better as of late though. Moments ago he won the pole for tomorrow nights race at Daytona.

He's got a Top 10 the last 2 races (only 3 on the season though), and now this, hopefully he can come home the winner tomorrow night!

14th career pole for him, his 2nd at Daytona.
Thanks given by:
Not much action here for NASCAR's most popular driver. 9 more Cup races left for Junior, he's not completely done after that though, is racing at least 2 Xfinity series races next season.

Didn't make the Chase, didn't really come close either except at the plate races. He did run well at Richmond, the last race before the cutoff, but he needed a caution at a certain time and it didn't happen for his strategy to pay off. 22nd in points currently, probably won't be able to move up past 21st even with a strong finish.

I'm hoping he bags 1 more win before he's done, he does have some tracks he's run well at coming up in this stretch. He's 1 Top 5 from 150 Top 5's for his career too, so that'd be nice as well.
Thanks given by:
I've been very disappointed with him for the last couple of seasons, I totally get the whole concussion situation, however it is quite obvious since his relationship with Amy has led him away from driving, I just hope that he continues with the strong Busch team.

I know I'm dating myself with referring to the Xfinity series as the Busch series.......
Thanks given by:
Lol I still call it Busch sometimes too, and I'm guessing I'm younger than you Silly

Amy might have something to do with it, but not really sure. I know she gave fans lots of ammunition when she said she didn't want him to run The Clash next year, which he qualified for. Cited the high crash rate in that race.

I think it has more to do with Steve Letarte retiring as Crew Chief then anything other than the concussion after effects. Greg Ives looks to have been very overrated by a lot of people after his "Busch" days with Chase Elliott. Ives had a strong first season in 2015, with a lot of leftovers from Letarte, Letarte was still around helping out some too the 1st half of the season before his went into broadcasting. But since Ives has had to develop his own programs and build his own cars without Letarte looking over him, performance has gone down hill steadily.
Thanks given by:
Junior at Dover had one of his best weekends of the year. Qualified 7th, finished 7th. Was running as high as 3rd at one time.

Now headed to Charlotte, and other than winning a Championship, he has said in the past his biggest wish, is to win a points race at Charlotte. He ran out of gas while leading about 1000 feet from the finish line once before. Would love to see him pull it off. He did win the All-Star Race there, while his Dad was still around too, but it doesn't count for points.
Thanks given by:
12th place finish at Charlotte in a backup car. Which was a pretty decent result. Wrecked his primary car 4 laps into practice (was 2nd on the speed charts at the time too), after trying to see how his car would handle in the compound they sprayed on the track to add grip, which had the opposite effect after being applied incorrectly. Then Keselowski, Kyle Busch, and a couple others did the same thing, and they corrected the issue the next day.

Today is Juniors 43rd birthday actually. The governor of Alabama has declared Sunday Dale Earnhardt Jr. Day as well. I'm heading out in about 8 hours from now and will be on my way to Talladega. Hoping to be there early Thursday afternoon. We're ballparking 16 hours driving time.
Thanks given by:
Well Dega was fun. Junior won the pole, led some laps, was up to 3rd with 2 laps to go, but his front end was too damaged to make the moves he needed and fell back to 7th.

That's 2 poles I've seen him win live now. Not a race yet, though I've seen him lead a bunch of laps on 3 occasions.

Pretty cool gift the track gave Junior as well.
Thanks given by: