Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft: Lottery today
IMO, there needs to be a lottery for teams that don't make the playoffs and in general I like the way things are done... 

However a simple tweak here and there would help.

Basically, teams that pick top 5 ( or 3 ) shouldn't be allowed to do it in successive years... or within a certain time frame. 

It'd be pretty easy to sort that out and it'd give a few other teams a shot at a high end pick.

Fact is, I would settle for a rule where a team can't ***** move down more than 2 years in a row!!!!  Laugh Laugh Cry

Oh well, I guess my guys have to find the next EP or Hughes a little farther down the list this year...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
This is surprising to me. This is the first time the Rangers have picked in the top 3 since 1966, and their second time in the top 6 since 1967.
Only other top 5 pick in that span was... Pavel Brendl
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 10:44 AM)bchippie Wrote: The New York Rangers have 20 Draft Picks Going into the Next Two Drafts
After making 10 picks in the 2018 draft, the Rangers have 10 selections in 2019 followed by another 10 selections in 2020. There are a few conditions with Dallas and Winnipeg that might change things but regardless the Rangers will have at the very least 20 picks in the next 2 drafts ( barring trades )

Man are the Rags all set to have a fairly quick retool (assuming a few of the picks work out). Zibanejad has finally broken out as a first line centre (**** you Dorion for trading him), Kreider in his his prime, Vesey will enter his prime and they still have Skjei and Staal in the backend. Shattenkirk (if he can ever get back to top pairing puck moving form) can help them develop young defenders as well. Not to mention King Henrik.

Super jealous of them.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 04:52 AM)Bong13 Wrote: And the team that didn’t tank a season agin stays at 15

**** Chicago

(2019-04-10, 06:32 AM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 06:00 AM)tmleafer Wrote: I'm ok with these winners.

I do think ideally the lottery would somehow take into account: 1) recent lottery wins; and 2) recent seasons in the playoffs, that way teams like Vancouver/Arizona would have had decently higher odds (multiple years out of the playoffs with no lottery wins) and NJ's odds would have been reduced (recent lottery win + in playoffs last year).

But overall, I like the lottery system because of the hard tanking we've seen in the past for Lindros, Lemieux, etc. NJ has also only had one top 3 pick in the last 10 years, and while it was a 1st OA pick, it was probably the 2nd or 3rd weakest 1st OA pick from the past 10 years. So I'm not too concerned with them winning twice.

The Canucks didn't tank and we get to pick at TEN.. Screwed AGAIN

If my team still had their pick, I would be PISSED that they dropped from 1st to 4th pick, but that to me is encouraging that TANKING is no longer a guarantee and I'm ok with it. Ottawa and L.A were the two worst teams in the league this year, and neither of them ended up with the a top 3 pick.....not sure why Canucks and Oilers fans are whining so much about their position.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 11:46 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: If my team still had their pick, I would be PISSED that they dropped from 1st to 4th pick, but that to me is encouraging that TANKING is no longer a guarantee and I'm ok with it. Ottawa and L.A were the two worst teams in the league this year, and neither of them ended up with the a top 3 pick.....not sure why Canucks and Oilers fans are whining so much about their position.

I agree with this. Sens were in a position where they could've made some moves to not be a bottom feeder but they didn't. A rebuild inherently involves some level of sucking and if a team chooses to wait and let prospects develop while getting more, they shouldn't be guaranteed blue chip guys. They ought to be creative with their strategies and focus on drafting and developing so they don't rely on lotto. Canucks are a great example of that.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 11:49 AM)bicboi Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 11:46 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: If my team still had their pick, I would be PISSED that they dropped from 1st to 4th pick, but that to me is encouraging that TANKING is no longer a guarantee and I'm ok with it.  Ottawa and L.A were the two worst teams in the league this year, and neither of them ended up with the a top 3 pick.....not sure why Canucks and Oilers fans are whining so much about their position.

I agree with this. Sens were in a position where they could've made some moves to not be a bottom feeder but they didn't. A rebuild inherently involves some level of sucking and if a team chooses to wait and let prospects develop while getting more, they shouldn't be guaranteed blue chip guys. They ought to be creative with their strategies and focus on drafting and developing so they don't rely on lotto. Canucks are a great example of that.

Hey bic,

Maybe you could remind a few of my fellow Canuck fans of your assessment...  Grin

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-09, 04:42 PM)topgun Wrote:
(2019-04-09, 04:40 PM)Fritz Wrote: I'm praying for the Avs/Sens pick to fall as well.  Thanks a lot for giving our division rivals another great prospect, Ottawa Wink.

Dorian, the man that saved Sakic's job and built Colorado. One dumb trade (Sens point of view) turned the Avs franchise around.

Lol I asked you to clarify this same comment you made in the Sens forum but I don't think you saw it so i'll ask you again here, why, do you keep saying Dorion "built" the Avalanche? The only real asset we sent them in that trade is this 4th overall pick (luckily) which they haven't even used yet, so what other part of the trade did we help build the Avalanche for this years playoffs? Are you implying Nashville sending Girard for Turris is somehow Ottawa's fault too?
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 11:52 AM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 11:49 AM)bicboi Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 11:46 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: If my team still had their pick, I would be PISSED that they dropped from 1st to 4th pick, but that to me is encouraging that TANKING is no longer a guarantee and I'm ok with it.  Ottawa and L.A were the two worst teams in the league this year, and neither of them ended up with the a top 3 pick.....not sure why Canucks and Oilers fans are whining so much about their position.

Hey bic,

Maybe you could remind a few of my fellow Canuck fans of your assessment...  Grin

Maybe Benning can do the Sens a favour and take Ceci for Hutton so we don't get stuck paying him $6 million per year Grin

Real talk though, Nucks with a few smart signings can maintain an upward progression.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 11:53 AM)Ryu65 Wrote:
(2019-04-09, 04:40 PM)Fritz Wrote: I'm praying for the Avs/Sens pick to fall as well.  Thanks a lot for giving our division rivals another great prospect, Ottawa Wink.

Dorian, the man that saved Sakic's job and built Colorado. One dumb trade (Sens point of view) turned the Avs franchise around.

Lol I asked you to clarify this same comment you made in the Sens forum but I don't think you saw it so i'll ask you again here, why, do you keep saying Dorion "built" the Avalanche? The only real asset we sent them in that trade is this 4th overall pick (luckily) which they haven't even used yet, so what other part of the trade did we help build the Avalanche for this years playoffs? Are you implying Nashville sending Girard for Turris is somehow Ottawa's fault too?

I mean Colorado got a very good puck mover in Girard. If Dorion didn't try to improve Ottawa with such a marginal upgrade the deal may not have gone through. Dorion wanting Duchene caused the Avs to have a shit ton of assets that they can use to accomplish something. 21 year old winger in Kamenev who's been cooking slowly, Bowers is still only 19, and a bunch of picks.

If Dorion stayed put, the Sakic probably wouldn't have a job. I'm just glad they ain't in the same conference as us.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 11:59 AM)bicboi Wrote:

I mean Colorado got a very good puck mover in Girard. If Dorion didn't try to improve Ottawa with such a marginal upgrade the deal may not have gone through. Dorion wanting Duchene caused the Avs to have a shit ton of assets that they can use to accomplish something. 21 year old winger in Kamenev who's been cooking slowly, Bowers is still only 19, and a bunch of picks.

If Dorion stayed put, the Sakic probably wouldn't have a job. I'm just glad they ain't in the same conference as us.

Duchene had/has value and was considered the biggest name on the market in a long time. The Avalanche made the playoffs this year because they're a good team with lots of top picks, not because they acquired picks and prospects yet to play in the NHL. Maybe Bowers ends up a good NHL player, maybe not, but the Avalanche have had plenty of opportunity to be a competitive team and for some reason can't get their shit together.

And let's remind ourselves that we got back some good assets ourselves for Duchene from CBJ, so it's not as bad as giving up those assets and losing him for nothing. Abramov is considered a very good prospect, better than Bowers at this point.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 12:04 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 11:59 AM)bicboi Wrote:

Duchene had/has value and was considered the biggest name on the market in a long time. The Avalanche made the playoffs this year because they're a good team with lots of top picks, not because they acquired picks and prospects yet to play in the NHL. Maybe Bowers ends up a good NHL player, maybe not, but the Avalanche have had plenty of opportunity to be a competitive team and for some reason can't get their shit together.

And let's remind ourselves that we got back some good assets ourselves for Duchene from CBJ, so it's not as bad as giving up those assets and losing him for nothing. Abramov is considered a very good prospect, better than Bowers at this point.

Dorion acquired a forward who was offensively regressing for quite a while when scoring wasn't an issue for the Sens. Not to mention they acquired someone who probably would want a raise after his contract expired in 2 years. Duchene put up career highs during a year that scoring went up and we got a decent return but I'd rather just have our original assets and have moved Turris for something else. Good example if Dorion not evaluating talent properly

I don't think all those assets that the Avs had allowed them to make the playoffs (aside from Girard) but they have the assets to add to their existing core and they couldn't have done that without Ottawa
Thanks given by:
Hahahahaha! Chicago gets 3rd, that's so wrong.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 12:17 PM)theDC Wrote: Hahahahaha! Chicago gets 3rd, that's so wrong.

They had 20 more regular season points than the Senators!

But good, maybe teams won't think that tanking is important and will keep playing for the Fans.
Thanks given by:
Kings with a witty tweet regarding the draft lottery

Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 01:16 PM)bchippie Wrote: Kings with a witty tweet regarding the draft lottery

Offside/High Stick/Fewer Cups should have been the Hawks response
Thanks given by:
Lol that was awesome
Thanks given by:
Despite my teams luck, i love the new system rewarding teams that go for it. Tanking doesn't always pay. Not too happy Chicago fluked, some teams get all the breaks. Weren't they 4th from bottom when they won Kane? Three cups later... Yes i'm jealous.
Thanks given by: KahunaBaby , KahunaBaby

I do think ideally the lottery would somehow take into account: 1) recent lottery wins; and 2) recent seasons in the playoffs, that way teams like Vancouver/Arizona would have had decently higher odds (multiple years out of the playoffs with no lottery wins) and NJ's odds would have been reduced (recent lottery win + in playoffs last year).

But overall, I like the lottery system because of the hard tanking we've seen in the past for Lindros, Lemieux, etc. NJ has also only had one top 3 pick in the last 10 years, and while it was a 1st OA pick, it was probably the 2nd or 3rd weakest 1st OA pick from the past 10 years. So I'm not too concerned with them winning twice.

How did we get screwed? We only had a 5% chance to win it. If anyone got screwed it was LA and Colorado.
Thanks given by:
If the NHL really wants to shake things up & make the draft super exciting......
Hold the lottery the morning of draft day in June. That would fantastic
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-10, 11:46 AM)Ryu65 Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 04:52 AM)Bong13 Wrote: And the team that didn’t tank a season agin stays at 15

**** Chicago

If my team still had their pick, I would be PISSED that they dropped from 1st to 4th pick, but that to me is encouraging that TANKING is no longer a guarantee and I'm ok with it.  Ottawa and L.A were the two worst teams in the league this year, and neither of them ended up with the a top 3 pick.....not sure why Canucks and Oilers fans are whining so much about their position.

?? Because, we have been screwed and kicked back 3 years in a row. meanwhile NJ gets 1 twice, and why does Vegas get to even be in the top 5 after making the cf???

That should explain it
 Proverbs 13:10
Thanks given by: