Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egyptian judo fighter refuses to shake Israeli opponent's hand
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/rio-olympics...or-sasson/

[Image: handshakeap16225496900611.jpg][/url]
60 Photos

Egypt's Islam El Shehaby, blue, declines to shake hands with Israel's Or Sasson, white, after losing during the men's over 100-kg judo competition at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Friday, Aug. 12, 2016.

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Egyptian judo fighter Islam El Shehaby was loudly booed at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics after his first-round loss to Israel's fifth-ranked Or Sasson, when El Shehaby refused to shake Sasson's hand, in a major breach of judo etiquette.
Sasson defeated El Shehaby with two throws for an automatic victory, with about a minute and a half remaining in the bout.

Best of the Rio Olympics

Afterwards, El Shehaby lay flat on his back for a moment before standing to take his place before Sasson, in front of the referee. When Sasson extended his hand, El Shehaby backed away, shaking his head.
The referee then called El Shehaby back to the mat and obliged to him bow; El Shehaby gave a quick nod of his head.
El Shehaby refused to comment afterward.
Judo players typically bow or shake hands at the beginning and end of a match, as a sign of respect in the Japanese martial art.
The International Judo Federation said that the fact that the fight even took place between those two athletes was already a major sign of progress.
"This is already a big improvement that Arabic countries accept to (fight) Israel," spokesman Nicolas Messner said in an email. He said there was no obligation to shake hands, but to bow is mandatory.

Messner said that even though El Shehaby ultimately bowed, "his attitude will be reviewed after the games to see if any further action should be taken."
El Shahaby had come under pressure from Islamist-leaning and nationalist voices in Egypt to withdraw entirely from the fight.
On Thursday, Mataz Matar, a TV host in Al-Sharq Islamist-leaning network urged el-Shehaby to withdraw.
"My son watch out, don't be fooled, or fool yourself thinking you will play with the Israeli athlete to defeat him and make Egypt happy," he said, adding "Egypt will cry; Egypt will be sad and you will be seen as a traitor and a normalizer in the eyes of your people."
Hisham Hatab, head of the Egyptian Olympic Committee, was quoted by the daily al-Masry al-Youm as saying there will be no withdrawals, adding "Islam will play the match without troubles."

Asked whether the two athletes will shake hands, Hatab said, "the delegation doesn't allow mixing [url=http://www.cbsnews.com/politics/]politics with sports. In Judo, the players can either shake hands or bow in respect to each other. It's up to the player." Egypt's minister for youth and sports was quoted as saying, "we have to accept competition with everyone regardless of anything."
The incident triggered strong reaction on social media:

Quote:DISGRACEFUL!
Egyptian refuses to shake hand of Israeli Judoka Or Sasson after being defeated by him at #Rio2016 pic.twitter.com/uCbG39V9oW
— SussexFriendsIsrael (@SussexFriends) August 12, 2016

Quote:Islam El Shehaby, just showed what a loser he is, not an athlete.Happy he got kicked by Israeli, what a loser #Israel #Egypt #Judo #Rio2016
— Ariel R. (@Dani_Din1) August 12, 2016

Quote:YES! #ISR's Ori Sasson beats #EGY's Islam El Shehaby by ippon. The Egyptian refused to shake his Israeli opponent's hand. Sore loser.
— Avi Mayer (@AviMayer) August 12, 2016

Egypt is the first country in the Arab world to sign a peace treaty and normalize relations with Israel, after decades of war.
Thanks given by:
He should have shaken his opponents hand. I am not a supporter of Israel or their policies towards the Palestinians. It's a poor move.

To play devils advocate, would this guy's life or that of his family be threatened by the extremists in Egypt if he did that? Fearing for one's life is a strong motive not to do something.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-12, 03:16 PM)topgun Wrote: He should have shaken his opponents hand. I am not a supporter of Israel or their policies towards the Palestinians. It's a poor move.

To play devils advocate, would this guy's life or that of his family be threatened by the extremists in Egypt if he did that? Fearing for one's life is a strong motive not to do something.

That was my thought. Was he doing this out of hate or fear? Either way it won't look good on him but if he fears for his life and the life of his family it is a tough one. Sad it is like that. I am glad the Israeli won and good on him for trying
"I thank you in advance for the great round of applause I am about to get." - Bo Diddley
Thanks given by:
If the girl's from North Korea and South Korea are brave enough to take a selfie together then this yahoo can shake the hand of his opponent.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/nort...d=41233177
Thanks given by: Fritz , lewis94 , bodisthava
This douchebag should be stripped of whatever status he has in the Judo community because this lack of sportsmanship goes against everything the games, and probably martial arts, are about.
Thanks given by:
Better than withdrawing from the competition, I suppose. Little steps.

Not sure if a handshake would have meant 'peace in our time', either.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-12, 03:56 PM)Bong13 Wrote: If the girl's from North Korea and South Korea are brave enough to take a selfie together then this yahoo can shake the hand of his opponent.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/nort...d=41233177

In North Korea it would be the mad dictator who would take out the Olympic competitors and get the blame. In Egypt it could be several million who would be suspects that could take out the 1 Olympic competitor.

I doubt the dictator would do that over a handshake but I doubt that the millions in Egypt would take the same view. It only takes one person to go over the edge.

He should have shook the opponents hand in my view but I don't know what kinds of personal safety issues he may face for doing that. It's really sad that I even have to throw something like that as a POSSIBLE reason.
Thanks given by:
In fairness, we don't know what kinds of personal experiences might have shaped this guy's life. There's a lot of history and bad blood over there that we as Canadians have no comparitors for.

And he did nod. Might be a a stretch to say he bowed though, which according to the article is also acceptable.
Thanks given by:
A nod is as good as a wink.
(Know what I mean, know what I mean...) a Monty Python reference Silly
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-12, 04:21 PM)Fritz Wrote: This douchebag should be stripped of whatever status he has in the Judo community because this lack of sportsmanship goes against everything the games, and probably martial arts, are about.

Yeah whatever. Politics never affects the Olympics right? You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but go ahead and naively call him a D'bag!
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-14, 11:55 AM)duediligence Wrote:
(2016-08-12, 04:21 PM)Fritz Wrote: This douchebag should be stripped of whatever status he has in the Judo community because this lack of sportsmanship goes against everything the games, and probably martial arts, are about.

Yeah whatever.  Politics never affects the Olympics right? You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but go ahead and naively call him a D'bag!

He's happy to fight him, but won't shake his hand? That's pretty douchey, and I don't give two shits about, "whats going on behind the scenes".
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-14, 04:33 PM)miltonred Wrote:

Yeah whatever.  Politics never affects the Olympics right? You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but go ahead and naively call him a D'bag!

He's happy to fight him, but won't shake his hand? That's pretty douchey, and I don't give two shits about, "whats going on behind the scenes".

Because it's not your's or your family's life that may be at stake.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-14, 04:37 PM)topgun Wrote:

That's bullshit, is there any evidence of athletes being the victims of murder for shaking the hands of another athlete? Violence even?

"Going on behind the scenes", is a completely made up scenario for which the only evidence is the continued threat of militant Islam and the assumption that all Middle Easterners are subject to it, which is odd, because apparently its only a tiny minority, in every other thread.
Thanks given by:
Milt,

When people get beaten up over wearing an opposing teams jersey it's not hard to figure out what people are possibly capable of doing over major international disagreements.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man...99519.html

Man beaten up over child’s Man Utd jersey

Sunday, May 15, 2016L  iam Heylin

A row over a child wearing a Manchester United jersey saw a man being hit in the face with a hurley, leaving him with injuries that required the insertion of two metal plates in his cheek.
Thanks given by:
Yes that is an exact equivalent.  Plain
Thanks given by:
Neither is the ISIS situation vs. Israel's relations with the rest of the middle east.

Considering he was under severe pressure to withdraw from the fight, it's not unthinkable that something could happen to him for shaking the guy's hand.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
The egyptian fighter was sent home by the Egyptian OC and reprimanded apparently after the IOC had a talk with them about it. The Israeli went on to win bronze
Thanks given by:

That's Hollywood talking. There hasn't been any reported threat towards athletes and their families for shaking their opponents hand. Like Milt stated, it's OK for him to participate in a match with the Israeli, but he can't shake his hand afterwards? I imagine most of the damage was done after he lost the fight anyway.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 04:01 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:

That's Hollywood talking. There hasn't been any reported threat towards athletes and their families for shaking their opponents hand. Like Milt stated, it's OK for him to participate in a match with the Israeli, but he can't shake his hand afterwards? I imagine most of the damage was done after he lost the fight anyway.

You mean like Billy Smith and Gerry Cheevers in the NHL when the playoff series was over ? There was no political, ethnic or religious dispute there.

I guess it was ok for them to participate and not shake hands.

The public at large will understand that competing is adversarial but shaking hands is sympathizing with the enemy. I know you and Milt are smart enough to know the difference.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 04:11 PM)topgun Wrote:
(2016-08-16, 04:01 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2016-08-14, 11:55 AM)duediligence Wrote: Yeah whatever.  Politics never affects the Olympics right? You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes but go ahead and naively call him a D'bag!

You mean like Billy Smith and Gerry Cheevers in the NHL when the playoff series was over ? There was no political, ethnic or religious dispute there.

I guess it was ok for them to participate and not shake hands.

The public at large will understand that competing is adversarial but shaking hands is sympathizing with the enemy. I know you and Milt are smart enough to know the difference.

You forgot the most important part: once the game was over and the assailants saw that Billy didn't shake his hand, they released his family back to him, unharmed...

Using past examples of fear and ignorance to excuse current examples is beyond ridiculous. This "threat to him and his family" is pure fabrication on your part.
Thanks given by: