Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egyptian judo fighter refuses to shake Israeli opponent's hand
Zappa, if you scroll back and check you will see that I don't conde the actions of the Egyptian and I said "possible" threats.

As for Smith and Cheevers......Chris Chelios and Ed Belfour also didn't shake hands. Those are more recent examples and I didn't see you rant about that.
Thanks given by:
Are you kidding me? How is any of that related?!?!?!?!

I'm going to "rant" about incidents over 20 years ago?

Do you really think this is just about not shaking hands? The Israeli and the Egyptian is on par with Chelios and the Ducks??? You really think this is merely about not shaking hands?

With families in danger, its very clear what your tone is. Add all the "mays" and "possibles" you want, your intent is clear and it's ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 04:51 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Are you kidding me? How is any of that related?!?!?!?!

I'm going to "rant" about incidents over 20 years ago?

Do you really think this is just about not shaking hands? The Israeli and the Egyptian is on par with Chelios and the Ducks??? You really think this is merely about not shaking hands?

With families in danger, its very clear what your tone is. Add all the "mays" and "possibles" you want, your intent is clear and it's ridiculous.

Now you can read intent? I clearly worded my statements and it's unfortunate that you can't or won't comprehend that. Happy

Marty Brodeur didn't shake Sean Avery's hand and Sid Crosby was didn't shake Nick Lidstrom and half of the Red Wing players hands because he was too busy celebrating.
Thanks given by:
Right and that's exactly what this is about...
Thanks given by:
I must have missed something.

What is this about?
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 06:48 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I must have missed something.

What is this about?

It can about 1 of 2 things:

1) not shaking someone's hand because their from Isreal is the exact same as Crosby not shaking hands with Detroit because he was celebrating the Cup victory. 

OR

2) he's excused because either he or his family will be murdered in their homeland, if he shakes the Israeli's hand.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 08:47 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2016-08-16, 06:48 PM)Limestoner Wrote: I must have missed something.

What is this about?

It can about 1 of 2 things:

1) not shaking someone's hand because their from Isreal is the exact same as Crosby not shaking hands with Detroit because he was celebrating the Cup victory. 

OR

2) he's excused because either he or his family will be murdered in their homeland, if he shakes the Israeli's hand.

It's sad that you can equate the 2 when one gets some hockey fans upset or in the other where people could possibly be murdered because of international politics going back decades.
Thanks given by:
Look pally, you're the one bringing up the Stanley Cup handshake, as if it's in any way comparable to this disgusting incident.

Or the assassination narrative that you, and you alone, introduced, without one iota of proof. Please, enlighten me - just how many Egyptians were murdered because they or their family member shook hands with an Israeli Olympian.

Just a really bizarre argument to support this anti-Semitism.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 09:40 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Look pally, you're the one bringing up the Stanley Cup handshake, as if it's in any way comparable to this disgusting incident.

Or the assassination narrative that you, and you alone, introduced, without one iota of proof. Please, enlighten me - just how many Egyptians were murdered because they or their family member shook hands with an Israeli Olympian.

Just a really bizarre argument to support this anti-Semitism.

This thread is about a handshake right?  

One is where people don't shake because of personal decisions in a hockey game while they make millions playing the game while they and their family are safe while the other MAY be a life and death decion. What part of that DON'T you get? You are trying to equate the 2.
Thanks given by:
No, it's not about a handshake. And it's sad that you can't figure that out.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-16, 09:57 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: No, it's not about a handshake. And it's sad that you can't figure that out.

Buddy, you just made my point. Thank you...... finally.
Thanks given by:
Still waiting for all these stats on murdered Egyptians who shook hands or had family members shake hands with Israeli Olympians. It's a ridiculous notion, based on nothing factual. Just your bullshit hypothesis inspired by watching too much TV.
Thanks given by:
Pretty disgraceful act by the Egyptian. Glad they sent him home.

He must be upset that Egypt can never beat Israel at anything!
Thanks given by:
CTS, it looks like you're competing for the drama queen title with your juvenile gibberish.

While it's unsportsmanlike to shake hands with the enemy in any sport (yes, there is the Stanley Cup equivalence), how do any of you know what the Egyptian athlete was told (or threatened with) behind the scenes? We had heard of rumoured threats, and there is no smoke with no fire.

Why not keep an open mind and tell it like it is...and allow for both possibilities?

If there was no threat, then the Egyptian dude is a d-bag, otherwise he's not.
Why is common sense not so common?
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-17, 01:40 PM)Ululator Wrote: CTS, it looks like you're competing for the drama queen title with your juvenile gibberish.

Confused
Thanks given by:
From what I've read in a number of different articles, the egyptian was under pressure to not compete against the israeli. He'd already gone against those pressuring him. I doubt shaking the hand at the end would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-17, 02:33 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: From what I've read in a number of different articles, the egyptian was under pressure to not compete against the israeli.  He'd already gone against those pressuring him.  I doubt shaking the hand at the end would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Racist... Grin
Thanks given by:
He had to say it. There's was probably threats against his family if he didn't say it.
Thanks given by: