Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employees who go on Stress Leave
I've noticed more and more employees in my company going on stress leave. I wonder how this can be proven though? 

Say if it's a medical leave due to injuries like back injuries, neck injuries, etc. Those can be proven with xrays, catscans, dogscans, MRI's, etc. But how can a doctor prove that someone is stressed and give a note to them for time off? It would appear that a mental examination would be hard to conduct compared to a physical one. I think it leaves the door open to employees abusing it and still collecting like 70% of their salary!
Thanks given by:
I think it can be proven that some don't understand what stress leave is.
Thanks given by: Sensanity
If you show up at work with an AR15, you need stress leave.
I started out with nothing. I still have most of it left.  
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
Looking for some easy money Theon?
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 03:16 PM)divit Wrote: If you show up at work with an AR15, you need stress leave.

LOL

To the OP's question I believe there's an assessment that can be administered by medical professionals to determine if stress leave is required.

If a lot of your colleagues are taking stress leave perhaps there's something toxic about your work environment.  Maybe think about getting out yourself before you get too stressed.
Thanks given by:
Maybe you are the one causing the stress?
Thanks given by:
One of the best ever 

Thanks given by: nicky
(2019-08-15, 03:17 PM)Superlube11 Wrote: Looking for some easy money Theon?

While it is absolutely more difficult to objectively measure medically than say a broken arm, there are measurements based on observation by trained medical experts that can and do get presented to support medical leave for illnesses of a cognitive nature.

Not gonna lie though, it's far from being the exact science that an x-ray is.

For disabilty management reps on either side of the table in a Unionized workplace they can be the most challenging files, which unfortunately can result in even greater harm to the worker. Not least of the challenges faced is dealing with the stigma like that which the OP represents, which is typical in (I expect) all workplaces; that being the underlying suspicion of co-workers that an individual is 'faking it'.
Thanks given by: Sensanity
Many companies have Employee Assistance Programs that an employee can access directly, by-passing the management structure. EAP will arrange for the appropriate service to conduct testing to determine things like high anxiety, depression, addiction, etc. and inform management that Joe/Jill will be off work for a while. Stress can be found in all areas of life, not just the work place, and I would say society in general is getting more stressful. So it wouldn't surprise me to see an uptick in stress leave.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." - Jim Carrey
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 04:02 PM)Limestoner Wrote:

While it is absolutely more difficult to objectively measure medically than say a broken arm, there are measurements based on observation by trained medical experts that can and do get presented to support medical leave for illnesses of a cognitive nature.

For disabilty management reps on either side of the table in a Unionized workplace they can be the most challenging files, which unfortunately can result in even greater harm to the worker. Not least of the challenges faced is dealing with the stigma like that which the OP represents, which is typical in (I expect) all workplaces; that being the underlying suspicion of co-workers that an individual is 'faking it'.

Unless there is a traumatic event, doesn't stress build up over time with noticeable changes in behavior, like irritability, fatigue, edginess? 13, are you seeing this in your workplace? Is there a generally stressful environment at work-potential layoffs, conflict?
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
When I was working 2007 and before I was on extended leave twice, but not specifically for stress. But I must admit when I went back each time I felt very fresh and eager to get going. One leave was for a series of surgeries on both my knees and the surgeon place me on leave for 2 months to properly recover and the other extended leave was 6 months for a serious blood clot issue in my right leg. My dc was concerned that because I worked in the mailroom and was standing for lengths of times. So maybe I wasnunder stress and didn’t know it or something!
Sometimes Facts and Truth Hurt !!!
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 04:13 PM)Marsh Wrote:
(2019-08-15, 04:02 PM)Limestoner Wrote:

Unless there is a traumatic event, doesn't stress build up over time with noticeable changes in behavior, like irritability, fatigue, edginess? 13, are you seeing this in your workplace? Is there a generally stressful environment at work-potential layoffs, conflict?

Yes I was told that by my doctor after 9-11 . I was going through lack of sleep at night because every time I would go to sleep nasty dreams of a plane coming through our mailroom at CRA. Very crazy IMO but it was what it was. My doctor gave me a med to keep me asleep and I took 2 weeks of my then 8 weeks vacation I had . We actually did some traveling around NB and NS
Sometimes Facts and Truth Hurt !!!
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 04:24 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: When I was working 2007 and before I was on extended leave twice, but not specifically for stress. But I must admit when I went back each time I felt very fresh and eager to get going. One leave was for a series of surgeries on both my knees and the surgeon place me on leave for 2 months to properly recover and the other extended leave was 6 months for a serious blood clot issue in my right leg.

From a disibility management perspective, those things are easy to support/adjudicate.

(2019-08-15, 04:24 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: My dc was concerned that because I worked in the mailroom and was standing for lengths of times. So maybe I wasnunder stress and didn’t know it or something!

I doubt it. He was likely more concerned about the physical demands on your body.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-08-15, 04:13 PM)Marsh Wrote: Unless there is a traumatic event, doesn't stress build up over time with noticeable changes in behavior, like irritability, fatigue, edginess? 13, are you seeing this in your workplace? Is there a generally stressful environment at work-potential layoffs, conflict?

It was only relatively recently that PTSD has been recognized as a compensable workplace illness by the WSIB in Ontario. Other workplace mental health illnesses are not to the best of my knowledge.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-15, 04:00 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Maybe you are the one causing the stress?

This.

I'd be stressed at work if the guy sitting across from me was blaring Eminem music all day and reeked of Axe Body spray.

And then if he ever came over and wanted to talk about how great of a TV show Lost is, it would probably be the final straw for me.
Thanks given by: Nanuuk , CaperLeaf , MisterZ , MisterZ
I find that 99% of people that go onstress leave, need to go on stress leave.

It’s also none of my business what other employees do, I wish other employees would shut the **** up and just do the job they are paid to do.
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf , MisterZ
I’m too stressed to go on stress leave.
Thanks given by: MisterZ
I have to think going on stress leave would nearly kill any chance of advancement in your company. Like if you can't handle the job you're in how will you handle increased responsibility?

We had a young guy, no wife or kids, go on stress leave for several months. The rest of his team were doing just fine and just picked up his slack. Obviously we don't know what was going on in his life or mental health issues he faced, and the terms of his leave are between him and HR. But IMO it doesn't look good, he's probably not someone I'd hire or promote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Maybe his mom committed suicide.

If it's a woman perhaps she's suffering physical or psychological spousal abuse.

While I understand a mental health issue serious enough to require being on leave may well have a negative impact on future opportunities, in no way should it. It's a disability. Only relavent skills, abilities, and experience as they pertain to the job should be determinant.

Holding a qualified candidate back due to their medical history would be a violation of their human rights.

But yes, I'm sure it happens all the time.
Thanks given by:
A nice little thought exercise for folks is to think of your own impressions of someone who has had a battle with mental illness vs someone who has had a battle with cancer.

Think of the differences in your impressions, and then (more importantly), why they exist.
Thanks given by: