Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Espresso Coffee Machines
In direct oppugnancy of some other threads that dwells into inquisitively inquiring into one’s existence and meaning to life through philosophical, spiritual or religious means, I’m going to ask about a more materialistic means that aids to my existence (waking up). 

I’m talking coffee. I’m asking about home use consumer espresso machines. I’m looking for some feedback from this board, members of whom by the looks of the hours and time that they post and read on this site must require boat loads of concentrated caffeine. I’ve read some reviews online, but I know I’m getting some great firsthand primary evidence by members of RATW of whom by all reviews fall across various degrees of having too much caffeine to noticing that their buzz is wearing off and that their post has now been brought to you by “caffeine withdrawal.”

I’m sick of drip, and I just don’t enjoy the process of the French Press enough to routinely make it. And I don’t want to leave for work early to stand in some line while everyone in front of me orders their pumpkin gingerbread mocha chocolate frappe spice 4 pump misto grande. Anyone have any Home Espresso experience for me?

(As an aside, review sites almost seem like they are reviewing Firearms with classifications like semi-automatic, super-automatic and manual lever action)
Thanks given by:
Maybe change up the routine for the French Press? I used store brought grounds after buying my own beans because i found it tedious to grind them. I went back to buying beans and grinding them (Irish Cream from Fortino's), and the extra steps are worth it to me!
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I use a Breville every morning and love it.

Though, the bean you use is just as important as the machine.

A $500 machine won't make a shitty coffee been taste good.
Thanks given by:
If you like strong coffee you can't beat a percolator.
Drip and press can't touch it for flavour and you control the strength by the length of time you allow it to go.
Just don't drink the last cup in the pot.

.jpg   images.jpg (Size: 6.11 KB / Downloads: 126)
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."     Oscar Wilde
Thanks given by:
I am not a big espresso guy, however I have had a few from Nespresso machines at a friends and some AirBnB’s. I thought they were pretty good. I had an espresso and an americano at a place called Aroma Espresso Bar that used one of those big fancy espresso machines and I preferred the ones from the Nespresso machine.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 01:40 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: I am not a big espresso guy, however I have had a few from Nespresso machines at a friends and some AirBnB’s. I thought they were pretty good. I had an espresso and an americano at a place called Aroma Espresso Bar that used one of those big fancy espresso machines and I preferred the ones from the Nespresso machine.

Nespresso is really good but the coffee is obviously more expensive than buying beans or ground. We have a Vertuoline and use it on the weekends. My favourite coffee is the Mexican one and the Half-Decaf is pretty decent too. But my favourite of all Nespresso coffees is made for the original machines - the Ristretto. Nothing in Vertuoline matches it.

I don't think Nespresso matches anything I've had in excellent coffee shops but it's a very simple alternative if you don't mind the cost.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
George Clooney and Danny DeVito swear by Nespresso, (and their 6/7? figure cheques) that it is the best.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled -Mark Twain
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 01:27 PM)GearedUp Wrote: In direct oppugnancy of some other threads that dwells into inquisitively inquiring into one’s existence and meaning to life through philosophical, spiritual or religious means, I’m going to ask about a more materialistic means that aids to my existence (waking up). 

I’m talking coffee. I’m asking about home use consumer espresso machines. I’m looking for some feedback from this board, members of whom by the looks of the hours and time that they post and read on this site must require boat loads of concentrated caffeine. I’ve read some reviews online, but I know I’m getting some great firsthand primary evidence by members of RATW of whom by all reviews fall across various degrees of having too much caffeine to noticing that their buzz is wearing off and that their post has now been brought to you by “caffeine withdrawal.”

I’m sick of drip, and I just don’t enjoy the process of the French Press enough to routinely make it. And I don’t want to leave for work early to stand in some line while everyone in front of me orders their pumpkin gingerbread mocha chocolate frappe spice 4 pump misto grande. Anyone have any Home Espresso experience for me?

(As an aside, review sites almost seem like they are reviewing Firearms with classifications like semi-automatic, super-automatic and manual lever action)
True espresso is pressurized water (steam) forced through packed, fresh, finely ground coffee.  Is this what you want? Or do you want frothy milk etc?  List your desired options so you focus on the right mc.

The second part of defining the problem, is how much time have you got in the morning?  Do you see yourself grinding fresh beans, and dealing with the cleanup?

If you're a get up and out sort of guy, then a pod machine is likely for you.
"Feeling silly and sublime", most of the time.
Thanks given by:
If a man makes an espresso, and there's no woman around to see him make it...is he still doing if wrong?
"Feeling silly and sublime", most of the time.
Thanks given by: MisterZ
If you go to Nespresso stores, you can try all the coffees. I would make sure you truly like them before buying the machine because they are expensive...not a loss leader like other machines are.
Thanks given by:
Grinding fresh beans is no hassle. There is no cleanup.

It literally takes less than a minute to grind enough beans for one brew. Add another minute or two if you want to grind enough for the week..
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
Bialettis also make really good coffee but as others have already pointed out, the coffee itself has to be good.

Best coffee I've ever made at home was with a Bialetti running a French Roast from a tiny shop that used to sit near the corner of Holland and Scott. That coffee was effing amazing but they clearly changed it at some point. I think that shop is a Starbucks now.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking of buying a Nespresso machine, theres also that other one that's similar but cheaper, what is it called again?

Also the Nespresso pods are expensive but aren't there cheaper no name pods you can buy that are also compatible with it?
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 04:07 PM)Ryu65 Wrote: I was thinking of buying a Nespresso machine, theres also that other one that's similar but cheaper, what is it called again?

Also the Nespresso pods are expensive but aren't there cheaper no name pods you can buy that are also compatible with it?

There are cheaper versions of the original Nespresso capsules as Nespresso lost the exclusivity on that. That's actually why they came up with the Vertuoline machines.

Do you mean Tassimo or Keurig for the other machines? Keurig has a new machine that looks like it makes coffee with crema but I haven't tried it.
Thanks given by: Ryu65 , Ryu65
Thank you yes, I was thinking of Keurig, Tassimo is also another espresso machine, but I'm not sure how they rank to be honest.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 04:28 PM)Ryu65 Wrote: Thank you yes, I was thinking of Keurig, Tassimo is also another espresso machine, but I'm not sure how they rank to be honest.

I've had the basic Keurig and that's OK but not better to me than a straight filter brew. More convenient. Never had Tassimo.

The thing you do have to realize about the original Nespresso capsules is that they make a small cup of coffee. If you like mugs, you'll need at least 2 and your cost is going to rocket. Vertuoline makes a larger cup; it can actually make several sizes including a couple of coffees in the 400 and some ml size.
Thanks given by:
Making coffee with those machines that use the little plastic pods is pretty irresponsible, environmentally speaking that is.

I've heard in the past that these corporations were working on a compostable option. Not sure if they've gotten anywhere on that.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 05:15 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Making coffee with those machines that use the little plastic pods is pretty irresponsible, environmentally speaking that is.

I've heard in the past that these corporations were working on a compostable option. Not sure if they've gotten anywhere on that.

They are recycled here in Quebec and in Ontario you can bring them back to the Nespresso store for recycling.
Thanks given by:
That's still a pile of energy expenditure for a single cup of java.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
Kinda random, but what do you lot so with excess coffee grounds? Always been compost for me, but i have a friend that collects them for art projects lol
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: