Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations
What are your expectations for the Raptors this season? 

I liked what they did in the off-season. CJ Miles was a really good addition on the wing and Anunoby is being called one of the steals of the draft. I'm looking forward to seeing Delon Wright take on a bigger role and having an entire season of Ibaka is a very good thing. 

I think the Raptors are firmly in the top 5 in the East, but where I don't know. Cleveland, whether they finish 1st or not, is still the favourite. In fact, they are probably a better team then they were last year. Their second unit is better then some team's starting lineups. Boston is also better, but they've been sloppy in pre-season and I think it's going to take them until December/January to start clicking. Nobody is really talking about Washington, but they have one of the best back courts in the NBA as well as one of the most underrated players in Otto Porter. Milwaukee rounds out the top 5, and Giannis is probably the best player in the East not named LeBron.

A good season for the Raptors would be a top 4 finish and a first round victory. Realistically it's hard to imagine them beating Cleveland or Boston in a playoff series, but I think they could make it competitive against the Celtics.
Thanks given by:
3rd in East...second round of playoffs
Thanks given by:
2nd or 3rd and 3rd in playoffs
People said I was dumb but I proved them. Fry from Futurama 
Good Day and Good Mental Health Frasier
Thanks given by:
2nd round playoff team. Encores assesment is spot on.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
They should be a 2nd round playoff team, but if they happened to face say Milwaukee or Washington or even Charlotte, it's not a given.

I think they could put Boston out in a tight series as well. East after Cleveland is pretty wide open IMO.

Here's hoping LeBron finally gets hit by the injury bug lol

Interesting to see 538's projections for this season

Cavs
Wizards
Celtics
Hornets
Raptors
Bucks
Heat
76ers

Magic
Pistons
Pacers
Knicks
Nets
Bulls
Hawks

Warriors
Rockets
Thunder
TWolves
Spurs
Nuggets
Clippers
Jazz

Pelicans
TBlazers
Grizzlies
Lakers
Suns
Mavericks
Kings
Thanks given by:
I honestly think Irving is overrated. Cleveland was shite without Lebron and Irving leading it. He's improved but I don't think its enough to have the ability to go deep
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-17, 05:40 PM)bicboi Wrote: I honestly think Irving is overrated. Cleveland was shite without Lebron and Irving leading it. He's improved but I don't think its enough to have the ability to go deep

The injury to Hayward is really going to ruin there plans
Thanks given by:
The Hayward injury was a pretty big disaster. I don't know how realistic the Celtics chances at beating the Cavs were, but they certainly had a chance.

For what it's worth, Hayward's injury has paved the way for Jaylen Brown to take on a bigger role, which he has so far excelled at.
Thanks given by:
The Raptors are a treadmill team that is stuck in mediocrity. They're like the new Atlanta Hawks.

Thanks given by: FormalWare
(2017-10-24, 10:14 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: The Raptors are a treadmill team that is stuck in mediocrity. They're like the new Atlanta Hawks.

Their core is locked in, so you know there's probably not going to be any truly significant moves made (IE. Moving Derozan, Lowry), and they don't have the cap space to bring in any high end free agents. Of course it's possible that a draft pick, such as Anunoby, or someone they draft in the next few drafts could surprise and be a highly impactful player. But with teams like Philadelphia, Washington, Milwaukee, and Boston on the way up, I don't think Toronto has the pieces to hang with them. The one thing the Raptors have in their favour is that Masai Ujiri is brilliant when it comes to filling out a roster with quality role players. He's able to identify spots of need and fill out his roster with really good, cheap role players.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-23, 12:50 PM)encore Wrote: The Hayward injury was a pretty big disaster. I don't know how realistic the Celtics chances at beating the Cavs were, but they certainly had a chance.

For what it's worth, Hayward's injury has paved the way for Jaylen Brown to take on a bigger role, which he has so far excelled at.

Even with the Hayward injury, I still think the Celtics are the 2nd best team in the East. Not sure who the 3rd best team is, but I like Milwaukee a lot.

Thanks given by:
Can't wait to see how the Greek Freak evolves his game!
Thanks given by:
Really nice effort from the Raps last night but the Warriors flexed their muscles in the last minute to erase a 5-point deficit and take the victory.

Siakim had a career night with 20 points and Poeltl came up huge in the 4th quarter to record a double double.
Thanks given by:
They've played GS well in the regular season a few times over the last few years, but I can't help but feel they'd have absolutely no chance in the Finals against them.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-26, 11:14 AM)encore Wrote: Really nice effort from the Raps last night but the Warriors flexed their muscles in the last minute to erase a 5-point deficit and take the victory.

Seen this script before...not much different than what happened against the Spurs.
Thanks given by:
Raps got spanked by the Nuggets, only game I see and i see some awful basketball
Thanks given by:
Norman Powell has been really disappointing so far this year. Only averaging 6 points a game and shooting 30%. I expected more from him.
Thanks given by:
DeRozan had an excellent game yesterday, 37 points, raps beat the Jazz.
Thanks given by:
Raptors have a good chance to stop the Celtics streak tomorrow as Kyrie is listed as doubtful

Though Horford is expected to play
Thanks given by:
Raptors blew a really good chance and the Celtics keep on rolling.

The Raptors were the beneficiaries of of two offensive turnovers for the Celtics in the last 30 seconds and they couldn't erase their 1-point deficit. DeRozan missed a mid-range jumper to win it at the buzzer. Lowry and Miles were both on fire from deep and Ibaka/Jonas did a great job on the pick n pop with Horford, but the Celtics just had too many guys step up when it mattered most. Rozier drew a 4-point play to end the first half when the Raptors were starting to pull away, and then he hit another 3 at the 3rd quarter buzzer when the Raptors had fought back from 8 down. At the end of the day though, this was Brad Stevens out-coaching Dwayne Casey.
Thanks given by: