Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Favourites
I'm too old and cynical to have a favourite player, my loins lusting after DD and CHapud notwithstanding. 

For the most part, players are all just commodities to me at this point. I still enjoy watching some more than others, but there's no special attachment beyond how they can help the team win.

But do you, my fellow fossils, still have favourites? And who were your faves when you were an impressionable hockey-mad youngster?  

Me:

Then: Lafleur
Now: Angry Weber; slot reserved for Caufield with loins in full agreeance
Thanks given by:
At the start of my love of hockey: Lorne Gump Worsley
Later: Dryden and Lafleur
Then: Carbonneau, Roy
Last 10 years: Markov
Now: Price
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by: RightNyder
Then: Lafleur, Lapointe, Lemaire, Robinson, Jarvis, Dryden.

Later: Richer, Naslund, Desjardins, Souray, Koivu, Roy.

More recent: Pleks, Markov, Hamrlik, Kotsopoulos.

Now: Lehks, Domi, Gally, KK

Future: KK, Caufield, Poehling, Suzuki (we hope)
Play not to lose, build around Carey, sell hope, make money.
Thanks given by: RightNyder
(2019-08-13, 12:59 PM)Leb7 Wrote: At the start of my love of hockey: Lorne Gump Worsley
Later: Dryden and Lafleur
Then: Carbonneau, Roy
Last 10 years: Markov

Wow, this is pretty much exactly me--apart from that guy Gump from the 1843-4 season who predates the invention of the radio.

I guess I'd probably have to add M. Richard and Béliveau for mythological purposes--they're my favourite "ideals".

Mario Lemieux has to slot in there somewhere.

And I'd give honourable mentions to Kovalev (!!!) and Playoff PK, both of whom generated some very memorable moments of pure joy in the not too distant past.

Moving forward I'm hanging all of my hopes on Caufield, who I expect will score so many goals the NHL will have to implement some kind of "Fair Competition Rule" forbidding him from playing more than 5 minutes per game.
Thanks given by:
Just like Leb7, my first hockey hero was Gump Worsley.
Then it was Lapointe, Savard, Robinson, Lafleur and Peter Mahovlich.
Later it was Chelios and Roy.
Later still it was Koivu and Markov
Now: Gallagher
Future? Maybe Caufield. Who knows? Suzuki perhaps.
Thanks given by:
This is easy:

Alltime: Lafleur, then Robinson then Koivu (honourable mentions to Nilan, Naslund, McPhee, Skrudland, Wamsley)

In Between: Richer, Carbonneau, Roy--before he had his hissy fit (I used to bob my head up and down just like him while watching games--drove my brother, an Oilers fan, nuts)

Today: Gallagher

Future: Sorry but do not really see any of the kids becoming elite or super-exciting. I just hope they become effective NHLers

Least Favorite: Mike Lalor--could not stand how he always gave the puck away
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 01:16 PM)Gerry Pigeon Wrote: Then:  Lafleur, Lapointe, Lemaire, Robinson, Jarvis, Dryden.

Later:  Richer, Naslund, Desjardins, Souray, Koivu, Roy.

More recent:  Pleks, Markov, Hamrlik, Kotsopoulos.

Now:   Lehks, Domi, Gally, KK

Future:  KK, Caufield, Poehling, Suzuki (we hope)

GP, you always make sense but how in God's name do we get Tom Kostopoulos here?  LOL!
Thanks given by:
Ealiest favorites I remember..

Backstrom, Rousseau, The Gumper...

Savard, Lapointe, Robinson, Dryden, Lafleur, Lemaire

Gainey, Damphouse, Richer,

on and on and on...

Very few I didn't like...

Todays team....Gallagher, Price, Weber,

Can hardly wait for the kids....
Thanks given by:
First: Dryden
Glory days: Mahovlich, Cournoyer, Robinson, Gainey
Later: Chelios, Koivu
Leaner years: Pleks, Markov
Now: A player to be named later Wink None just now.
Thanks given by:
Then: John Ferguson. Beliveau. Dryden, Savard, Cournoyer. Orr.
Middle Kingdom players who impressed me:  Gainey. Gil Perrault. Nilan, Brashear. Keane. Crosby. 
Now: Easton Synergy
Thanks given by:
Retired:
Beliveau, Backstrom, Larose, Rousseau, the Pocket Rocket, Gilles Tremblay, J.C. Tremblay, Duff, Lafleur, Big Bird, Roadrunner, Lemaire, Risebrough, Houle, Jarvis, Pointu, Mahovliches, Gainey, McPhee, Walter, Skrudland, Keane, Green, Dryden, St-Patrick, Courtnall, Ewen, Corson, Nilan, Ferguson, The Little Viking, Koivu (precious few from the turn of the century), Plekanec, Markov, Hamrlik, 
Active:
Lehkonen, PK, Carey, Gally, Domi (many to be added from this group if they win a cup  SN devil ) Danault, Byron, Weber, Petry getting there; Tatar KK if they stick around. 
Prospects:
Fleury, Suzuki, Poehling, Caufield, Ylonen, Pitlick, Evans, McCarron, McShane, Olofssons, Fonstad, Romanov, Brook if they make an impact.

I'm sure I've left some out. I really admired Laperriere for instance, but he wasn't a 'fave'. Vachon, Spacek, the Senator (especially his injury comeback) fall into the same category.
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 02:39 PM)habnormal Wrote:
(2019-08-13, 01:16 PM)Gerry Pigeon Wrote: Then:  Lafleur, Lapointe, Lemaire, Robinson, Jarvis, Dryden.

Later:  Richer, Naslund, Desjardins, Souray, Koivu, Roy.

More recent:  Pleks, Markov, Hamrlik, Kotsopoulos.

Now:   Lehks, Domi, Gally, KK

Future:  KK, Caufield, Poehling, Suzuki (we hope)

GP, you always make sense but how in God's name do we get Tom Kostopoulos here?  LOL!

I loved players for a variety of reasons.  

Scorers, checkers, difference makers, guys with heart.  That's why Kostopoulos makes the grade.  He ALWAYS got his clock cleaned, he wasn't a particularly good fighter, and not a very big guy to begin with.  BUT he was willing every time.  How can you show more heart than volunteering to back your teammates every time, even though you knew you're about to take a beating? 

That's why Kovalev didn't make the grade.  Sure, he had more talent in his pinky than Tom in his whole body, and made our PP click like crazy.  But he also divided the room with Koivu, and only turned it on when he felt like it.  Crap, when Gainey has to take you on the famed walk to get you to apply yourself, when you're already the STAR player wearing the blue, blanc, et rouge, then I gotta question how motivated you are...

Hey, Souray was made to look like a pylon on one spectacular Spezza goal.  But I loved that guy.  Absolutely frightening slapshot (used it to score on a shootout once! lol), and made a beeline to beatdown Colby Armstrong after he plastered Koivu into the boards with a huge head of steam...

Hamrlik was another favorite, a warrior in every sense of the word, played to an inch of his life while always covering for an injured Markov...

It's all subjective personal opinion.  We all like different players for different reasons.  I like guys that do what they can, for the good of the team, almost regardless of their talent level.  That's why I'm frustrated with Drouin...lol.  A little more effort please.
Play not to lose, build around Carey, sell hope, make money.
Thanks given by:
Kordic and Gaston Gingras were on my list of 'they weren't very good but for some odd reason I genuinely liked them anyway' list, long before DD and CHapud came along to provide me with alternative entertainment.
Thanks given by:
(Pocket Rocket) Richard.
Robert (Bobby) Rousseau.
André (Red Light) Racicot.
Thanks given by:
All time faves:
Up front: Beliveau, the Pocket Rocket and The Road Runner.
On D: Larry, Serge and Guy.
In net: Dryden. Who else? 6 Cups in 8 years, including my all time favourite Cup in '71, so le Gros Bill could retire in the style to which he was accustomed.

It's a shame, really. The franchise used to be the model for all other NHL teams. Now? We've become a laughing stock.
Thanks given by:
As a teen (80's): Roy, Koivu
When a little kid (70's): Sevigny, Drydon, Lambert

I see a pattern...4 goals and 2 players who wore #11
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-13, 06:31 PM)Cal Wrote: All time faves:
Up front: Beliveau, the Pocket Rocket and The Road Runner.
On D: Larry, Serge and Guy.
In net: Dryden. Who else? 6 Cups in 8 years, including my all time favourite Cup in '71, so le Gros Bill could retire in the style to which he was accustomed.

It's a shame, really. The franchise used to be the model for all other NHL teams. Now? We've become a laughing stock.

Yeah, Habs were amazing when there were 14 teams (or fewer) in the league and polyester was still considered a perfectly sanitary fabric... provided you had enough Old Spice and cigarettes to mask the scent of your festering body. Those were the days...
Thanks given by: Cal
1. The flower
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Pavel Bure
4. The Dominator
5. Pavel Datsyuk
6. Mitch Marner and Elias Pettersson

** Honorable mention, Mats Naslund.

My favourite team has never and will never change, but as you can see most of my favourite players have come from other teams.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
Past: Jean Beliveau, Gilles Tremblay, Serge Savard, Rogie Vachon, Pierre Mondou, Bobby Smith, Mats Naslund, Saku Koivu
Present: Victor Mete, Max Domi, 
Future: Pierre Dallinger, Corbin Wimsock, Liberace Dupont, Sonny Hubert, Alice Jones
Thanks given by: Cal
(2019-08-13, 08:32 PM)bchippie Wrote: 1. The flower
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Pavel Bure
4. The Dominator
5. Pavel Datsyuk
6. Mitch Marner and Elias Pettersson

** Honorable mention, Mats Naslund.

My favourite team has never and will never change, but as you can see most of my favourite players have come from other teams.

Clearly you'd be terrible in the room with your player allegiance perpetually elsewhere.
Thanks given by: