Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Favourites
(2019-08-14, 02:55 PM)Habituated Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 02:16 PM)Cal Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:37 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:31 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:17 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: "I don't think too many 20 yr olds read the Gazette paper much to even know there was a HIO, lol"

Honest question. Does anybody read the gazettes's sport page. It's garbage.  I browse the countries papers online from time to time and the gazette is by far the worst.
Postmedia, with its grand goal of becoming Fox News North, has abandoned the notion of good sports coverage.
I still like Disco Stu now that he's dropped the heel turn gimmick. The loss of Stubbs was massive. He was/is so good.
But, yeah. Gazette sports is astonishingly weak in such a big market.
This is not a "big" market. How many people in all of the province of Quebec read an English daily?
There is only 1 major league team in the city. I'm not surprised sports coverage has shriveled and died. I'm surprised that the Montreal Gazette is still operating, though.

Postmedia and almost all the media conglomerates are horrible companies. They're even worse when it comes to journalism, operating as if they're dealing in widgets rather than observing the traditional role of the press.

An English paper in Montreal has additional hurdles, none of which is being addressed by a company with no interest in news, newspapers or journalism. Cuts, cuts, cuts and this quarter's profits are all that matter.
Really? They have a monopoly as the only local English paper. It's not like there isn't a 2M+ (close to 3M) reader market for them in the GMA and quebec as a whole, not to mention the sales outside the province for Montreal expats.

What are the additional hurdles? Seriously?

French papers had competition that lead LaPresse to go digital only.

The Gazette was a crap paper for years, TBH (still is). They were their own hurdle. Sports coverage was always slim, other than Habs coverage, which was also relatively slim, anyhow.

The Gazette and Southam News basically took the road of minimal effort as a monopoly in the Montreal region, instead of working harder to pluck bilingual readers from the French hoardes that represent the other 5M or so Quebec natives.

Even outside of Quebec, Southam News was a corporate entity with profits above content as a leitmotiv.

Don't get me started...
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-14, 03:04 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:37 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:31 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:17 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: "I don't think too many 20 yr olds read the Gazette paper much to even know there was a HIO, lol"

Honest question. Does anybody read the gazettes's sport page. It's garbage.  I browse the countries papers online from time to time and the gazette is by far the worst.
Postmedia, with its grand goal of becoming Fox News North, has abandoned the notion of good sports coverage.
I still like Disco Stu now that he's dropped the heel turn gimmick. The loss of Stubbs was massive. He was/is so good.
This is not a "big" market. How many people in all of the province of Quebec read an English daily?
There is only 1 major league team in the city. I'm not surprised sports coverage has shriveled and died. I'm surprised that the Montreal Gazette is still operating, though.

It's a massive Canadian market, even if there's only (whatever the number is these days) Anglophones. But aggregators in general have seen a massive decline in relevance since there are now so many options and places to get your news, especially that which caters to your personal point of view.

Local sports readership at any level always had small (though fiercely loyal) numbers, so it bears the brunt of many cuts.  

I actually feel bad for Disco Stu and Co., trying to make a go of things where the expectations for many remain based upon past glory. Sounds familiar...
It's close to a 5M VS 3M split in Quebec (Francos VS Anglos+Allos, who speak English before French). With the Gazette as the only local English paper in Quebec, they were should have been laughing all the way to the bank. However, the Gazette has been a shyte paper for years on end. I have no empathy for their financial situation today.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-14, 06:22 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:37 PM)RightNyder Wrote: Postmedia, with its grand goal of becoming Fox News North, has abandoned the notion of good sports coverage.

Postmedia and almost all the media conglomerates are horrible companies. They're even worse when it comes to journalism, operating as if they're dealing in widgets rather than observing the traditional role of the press.

An English paper in Montreal has additional hurdles, none of which is being addressed by a company with no interest in news, newspapers or journalism. Cuts, cuts, cuts and this quarter's profits are all that matter.
Really? They have a monopoly as the only local English paper. It's not like there isn't a 2M+ (close to 3M) reader market for them in the GMA and quebec as a whole, not to mention the sales outside the province for Montreal expats.

The Gazette was a crap paper for years, TBH (still is). They were their own hurdle. Sports coverage was always slim, other than Habs coverage, which was also relatively slim, anyhow.

The Gazette and Southam News basically took the road of minimal effort as a monopoly in the Montreal region, instead of working harder to pluck bilingual readers from the French hoardes that represent the other 5M or so Quebec natives.

Even outside of Quebec, Southam News was a corporate entity with profits above content as a leitmotiv.

Don't get me started...

The ownership issues afflict much of the newspaper industry -- it's a nationwide issue that started long before the digital threat due to corporatization.

Ownership is the Gazette's biggest problem, and Montreal's not alone in the regard.

As for the extra hurdles, demographics are the obvious one, as it doesn't have the same potential for growth via increases in population. Part of that is the same problem all dailies have given that newcomers aren't part of any legacy a paper has built, and part of it is linguistic given shifts in the city over the last half-century.

Moreover, the Gazette isn't the "paper of record" for goings on in the province. That further erodes its status.

On the digital side, Canadian newspapers don't make money online, with little prospect of doing so in any meaningful way that supports actual journalism. Papers such as the New York Times and Washington Post, for instance, have global reach and appeal, making them better candidates for monetizing an online presence. The Gazette simply doesn't have that reach. 

Given it's fading fortunes-- not an isolated case with Postmedia -- and provincial status, the paper has a harder time generating buzz within a shrinking pool of journalism hopefuls.

I could go on forever about the industry's woes, many of them self-inflicted, but ...
Thanks given by:
(2019-08-14, 06:46 PM)Habituated Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 06:22 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 12:37 PM)RightNyder Wrote: Postmedia, with its grand goal of becoming Fox News North, has abandoned the notion of good sports coverage.

Don't get me started...

The ownership issues afflict much of the newspaper industry -- it's a nationwide issue that started long before the digital threat due to corporatization.

Ownership is the Gazette's biggest problem, and Montreal's not alone in the regard.

As for the extra hurdles, demographics are the obvious one, as it doesn't have the same potential for growth via increases in population. Part of that is the same problem all dailies have given that newcomers aren't part of any legacy a paper has built, and part of it is linguistic given shifts in the city over the last half-century.

Moreover, the Gazette isn't the "paper of record" for goings on in the province. That further erodes its status.

On the digital side, Canadian newspapers don't make money online, with little prospect of doing so in any meaningful way that supports actual journalism. Papers such as the New York Times and Washington Post, for instance, have global reach and appeal, making them better candidates for monetizing an online presence. The Gazette simply doesn't have that reach. 

Given it's fading fortunes-- not an isolated case with Postmedia -- and provincial status, the paper has a harder time generating buzz within a shrinking pool of journalism hopefuls.

I could go on forever about the industry's woes, many of them self-inflicted, but ...
We can go on forever, you and I, about the industry's woes, but The Gazette, for whatever reason, never optimized its unique situation.

Southam News (Gazette owner for years) owns both the papers in Vancouver and, despite pretending that there was a competition between the two for years, never actually upped their content. When it cut costs and elected to have on print on Saturdays and the other print Sundays, it never really improved the content value.  

Digital media has sucked any legacy out of News content.

News should be a four letter word today, when once it was an honourable craft.
Thanks given by:
Newspapers used to be about the latest crisis so they could gets eyes on their pages for advertising purposes. If it were about accuracy, the most popular tabloid like The National Enquirer would not exist. People would rather read shit.
Hell, they watch it on tv all the time, what with all the fake reality shows, so why would their taste miraculously improve when it comes to reading news?
An english language daily, by the way, has about zero chance of garnering readers in another language, even up to 50 years ago.
Let's face it head on. Multinationals own these media outlets. Exactly whose point of view are these articles and "news" items written for? Hell, IGA getting rid of plastic bags made news in The Gazette and all Bell Media owned tv and radio stations. Is that really news, or an ad for IGA? You decide.
Thanks given by: