Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling a bit Guilty
I know I am quitting my job come October 26th, they have no idea, I will give 2 weeks notice.

I have been asked this week to do up my budget for 2019, knowing I wont be here I am feeling a bit guilty doing it and not telling them I am quitting.

Should I tell them and hope they keep me on till October 26? (another moths pay will be very helpful.)

Am I burning a bridge that I don't want to?

As an employer would you rather 30 days notice or is 2 weeks good?
Thanks given by:
Just do up the 2019 budget as normal. Do your job normally until you give the 2 weeks' notice. You are not burning a bridge to do so.

Ask yourself, if you were about to be laid off, would your company give you six weeks' notice?
Thanks given by: Bong13 , Bong13 , MisterZ , Captain aHab
Plus won't your replacement just take your spot in the budget?
You're doing nothing wrong and Hier's advice is spot on.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 11:34 AM)Hieremias Wrote: Just do up the 2019 budget as normal. Do your job normally until you give the 2 weeks' notice. You are not burning a bridge to do so.

Ask yourself, if you were about to be laid off, would your company give you six weeks' notice?

I'd even suggest giving them notice now would enhance your rep, and give them some time to find a replacement, hopefully even giving them time to have you help train the person up a bit. 

I got 10 weeks when I was laid off, so yes, companies can, and do give extra notice if they can.
Thanks given by:
As an employer, having 30 days notice would be amazing to get. It allows me to bridge two emloyees and pass on all kinds of info. I can't speak for all employers, but for me that's definitely a plus.
"These things have a way of working themselves out. I'm gonna let the liquor do the thinking."
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 11:51 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 11:34 AM)Hieremias Wrote: Just do up the 2019 budget as normal. Do your job normally until you give the 2 weeks' notice. You are not burning a bridge to do so.

I'd even suggest giving them notice now would enhance your rep, and give them some time to find a replacement, hopefully even giving them time to have you help train the person up a bit. 

I got 10 weeks when I was laid off, so yes, companies can, and do give extra notice if they can.

If he died tomorrow, they would have his replacement in place before he was buried/cremated.

Everyone is expendable.  It is the new management style.  Most employees have very little internal leverage as it pertains to their present employment or advancement.

Every two weeks, you are square and you owe them nothing.

I believe he is leaving the job for a reason.  The reason being he has likely found more gainful employment somewhere else.
A leader without followers is just a person taking a walk...
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 12:00 PM)Bandit Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 11:51 AM)theDC Wrote:

If he died tomorrow, they would have his replacement in place before he was buried/cremated.

Everyone is expendable.  It is the new management style.  Most employees have very little internal leverage as it pertains to their present employment or advancement.

Every two weeks, you are square and you owe them nothing.

I believe he is leaving the job for a reason.  The reason being he has likely found more gainful employment somewhere else.

Not denying that, I know they'd replace him quickly. But there's no reason to hide this. His concern is about burning bridges, my point is that letting them know actually helps them, thereby avoiding any burned bridges.
Thanks given by:
I would do my job, as usual, maybe even with a little extra effort (that could be looked at in the future). You owe them 2 weeks, but helping them with the transition by giving more, would/could surely be appreciated.

Have they treated you fairly over the years?? That would have a bearing for me on how I left...

I have been an employee, and now an employer. Hopefully they don't hold it against you, for trying to improve your personal situation. I can tell you, it's hard to lose good, long term workers...

Wish you well on your new venture, and trust you will leave on good terms.
Thanks given by: theDC , Bong13 , Bong13
all is good with the company, they have treated me well, I am simply moving on to other things (moving).
Thanks given by:
Are you on your way to the East coast now?
Thanks given by: Bong13 , Bong13
Bong I remember you saying a while back you were moving to PEI

If that’s where you’re heading in October best of luck!
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 12:31 PM)Bong13 Wrote: all is good with the company, they have treated me well, I am simply moving on to other things (moving).

Bong,

I worked for an employer for 7 years. They were good to me and I had a great relationship with my boss. I had a lot of respect for my boss (still do). You may even say I loved him in a mentor type of way. LEaving that place was the hardest career choice I have made. When I knew I was leaving, I wanted to give him enough time to bring someone new up to speed and have an opportunity to help train my successor. I gave 5 weeks notice and was assigned the job of picking my replacement and and training them - that's how much trust and respect my boss had in me. I was glad to be part of the process.

Other places, I gave two weeks notice and was out the door and didn't give two shits about who would replace me.

I think it all depends on your relationship with the company / your bosses. There really isn't a right or wrong here. If you can't make up you mind as to what to do, I suggest you just keep doing your job as you are still there.

Good luck, buddy.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by: Bong13
This is the job you took knowing you were leaving right? I seem to remember a thread where you were concerned about even taking the gig knowing you'd be leaving.
Thanks given by:
Yes we bought a house in PEI my wife moves October 1, I will follow later.
Thanks given by: Pouzar , Pouzar
(2018-09-14, 12:49 PM)theDC Wrote: This is the job you took knowing you were leaving right? I seem to remember a thread where you were concerned about even taking the gig knowing you'd be leaving.

no you must be confused, I had planned to keep this job long term had we not decided to move.
Thanks given by:
I'd give 30 days. They'd appreciate it more and I think you'll feel better about the whole situation. No way they let you go, they'd probably want your help in training the other dude who comes in. Good luck
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: Ululator
I say don't give any notice.  Just stop showering and see how long it takes for them to can you.
Thanks given by: Bong13 , MisterZ
(2018-09-14, 02:02 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote: I say don't give any notice.  Just stop showering and see how long it takes for them to can you.

I am a field salesman I do that daily already
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 01:41 PM)bicboi Wrote: I'd give 30 days. They'd appreciate it more and I think you'll feel better about the whole situation. No way they let you go, they'd probably want your help in training the other dude who comes in. Good luck

30 days to train this guy is a bit much..

.jpg   download.jpg (Size: 6.05 KB / Downloads: 80)
Thanks given by: Bong13
(2018-09-14, 12:31 PM)Bong13 Wrote: all is good with the company, they have treated me well, I am simply moving on to other things (moving).

So no last day bowel movements on the boss' desk?
Thanks given by: