[Image: qlcovolrly2ds2b6ezhi.jpg]
Lauren Theisen
Yesterday 9:04pm
Filed to: NHL
[/url]

[Image: t8nywo30rxuxvteozlnl.jpg]
Photo: Ethan Miller ([url=https://www.gettyimages.com/]Getty Images
)
A recent first-round NHL draft pick might be spoiling his career prospects because of a video game addiction, according to some gossip passed along by hockey analyst Jeff Marek on the Sportsnet podcast 31 Thoughts. Marek, who declined to name the player, cited a conversation with his junior general manager, who said the talented prospect was draining himself with late night gaming sessions. Here’s a transcript of his comments, which begins with a discussion of Fortnite and starts around the 22:15 mark of Thursday’s episode:
Quote:“On video games – and I’m not going to say the player’s name. I really doubt he’s going to make it to the NHL, and it’s because of a video game addiction, to the point where his junior general manager told me that they’ve had him go to counseling over it, because he’ll play until all hours of the night and into the morning and then he’ll have no energy the next day. Like, he’ll be a write-off. And it is that bad. He has this compulsion for playing video games until all hours. I swore that I wouldn’t say the player’s name, but it’s unfortunate. He’s a recent first-round draft pick for a very, very prominent NHL team, will probably never play in the NHL because of a video game addiction.”

Outstream Video

00:00
00:00

Marek goes on to say that his information is between six months and a year old, and he adds, “This guy is a good player and was a high pick ... but there’s a good chance he’s not going to make it to the NHL and his general manager said, ‘Yeah, the video game addiction is bad. It’s bad with this kid.’”
Marek is probably right not to name the prospect, but it’s not too hard to come up with the possibilities. The list of Canadian junior players who were recently drafted in the first round but haven’t yet made the NHL isn’t that long, and the “prominent” qualifier narrows the possibilities even further, depending on your interpretation. At least we know he doesn’t play for the Coyotes.
Thanks given by:
Definitely curious about who it is. Hope the kid can get his shit together
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
My guess is if the problem was this bad he would have been sent home by now.

JR teams don't put up with much bullshit

my guess is the story is a bit of hogwash
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
Is he playing NHL 2018? maybe he figured he'd big a big star in the game only..
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
David Price’s carpal tunnel is being blamed on a Fortnite addiction.
Thanks given by:
This sounds ridiculous
Thanks given by:
Social media detectives seem to think it's Juolevi.
Thanks given by: Sportking , Sportking
The disease of addiction is real and it ruins lives. It doesn't have to be substances, drugs and alcohol. The disease manifesting itself in abuse of gambling, relationships, internet, food, sex and, yes, even video games, is real and debilitating.

This kid has the same disease as me, as Brian McGratton, as Jordin Tootoo - for us it manifested itself in drugs and alcohol, for this kid, its video games. The ONLY difference is that drugs/alcohol create a physical dependency - that's not the crux of the disease, that's a symptom. The crux of the disease if the compulsion to "use" including, in this case, the "use" of video games. The obsession, the compulsion - its overwhelming and, without working a program, it can and will ruin your life.

I hope this kid gets the help he needs and can work a program of recovery.
Thanks given by:
Probably a Canucks draft pick.. Our luck runs like that Cry
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-19, 07:20 AM)Highstyx Wrote: Probably a Canucks draft pick.. Our luck runs like that Cry

Maybe he can represent Vancouver at one of those video game tournaments, who knows?

Now that I think about it, the All-Star game should just be an EA NHL tournament amongst the best players in the league, I'd watch that.
Thanks given by:
what a shit thing to even bring up, keep it to yourself Marek you asshat.

Now the witch hunt starts to find out who it is so people can make is life even harder.
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
problem is juolevi fits the bill for this perfectly

lack of progression, benched repeatedly during the middle of the season in Finland, and cut from the world team for conditioning issues, who is out of shape at the end of the season???

figures it would be a Vancouver player, if we didn't have shit luck we wouldn't have any at all
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2018-05-23, 12:26 AM)binder Wrote: problem is juolevi fits the bill for this perfectly

lack of progression, benched repeatedly during the middle of the season in Finland, and cut from the world team for conditioning issues, who is out of shape at the end of the season???

figures it would be a Vancouver player, if we didn't have shit luck we wouldn't have any at all

I have no idea of its Juolevi but what you just cited is lack of progression and development of a prospect - thousands of cases of that without addiction issues.
Thanks given by: Bong13
Over at HFboards, they seem to think it’s Rubstov. Possibly Juolevi.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-23, 12:26 AM)binder Wrote: problem is juolevi fits the bill for this perfectly

Morning guys said its definitely not Juolevi.

Also said by the end of last season Salo said he was their best defenceman.
Thanks given by:
It says prominent NHL team. Scratch Vancouver

Rubstov would fit given how he has tracked since being drafted and he is with Philly.

Still a crap thing for Marek to do. I'm going to throw a crap rumour about someone out there. Not say who it is, but give a whole bunch of clues. Jackass.
Thanks given by: CTS
(2018-05-23, 07:46 PM)himmelblau Wrote: It says prominent NHL team. Scratch Vancouver

Rubstov would fit given how he has tracked since being drafted and he is with Philly.

Still a crap thing for Marek to do. I'm going to throw a crap rumour about someone out there. Not say who it is, but give a whole bunch of clues. Jackass.

Ha ha!
Thanks given by:
Marek is just another shit disturbing A hole.
Thanks given by:

Jakob Chychrun is the one we should have taken. 20 points in his rookie year.. at age 18. I think Jolevi will be just another mediocre player.. soft no hit d man. God forbid we would ever take a guy like McNabb
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-19, 06:25 AM)Pouzar Wrote: The disease of addiction is real and it ruins lives.   It doesn't have to be substances, drugs and alcohol.  The disease manifesting itself in abuse of gambling, relationships, internet, food, sex and, yes, even video games, is real and debilitating.

This kid has the same disease as me, as Brian McGratton, as Jordin Tootoo - for us it manifested itself in drugs and alcohol, for this kid, its video games.   The ONLY difference is that drugs/alcohol create a physical dependency - that's not the crux of the disease, that's a symptom.  The crux of the disease if the compulsion to "use" including, in this case, the "use" of video games.   The obsession, the compulsion - its overwhelming and, without working a program, it can and will ruin your life.

I hope this kid gets the help he needs and can work a program of recovery.

I still believe the problem is a spiritual one.. at least, to begin with. People looking for fulfillment and rewards in the wrong places
Thanks given by: