Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fredericton shooting
Four dead, including two officers. Others wounded.

This isn't some US city with violence issues... this is Freddy. I have friends there. I can't believe it. 

Shades of Moncton all over again.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
was just reading about it and also thought about Moncton, I guess all of Canada has its shit people.

sounds like it all happened at an apartment complex
Thanks given by:
Yeah in the north end. I know the area. Just shocking.
Thanks given by:
Yes its just horrible news.

All it takes is for one person with a gun to destroy the lives of many. Very sad Sad
Thanks given by:
I worked here with chap during the Frigate Project. He was studying criminology at UNB and became a police officer in Fredericton. I just hope he was not one of the two deceased.

I lived in Fredericton for 3 years and still my wife has family on the Northside. Very sad day for sure. In the area of Saint John where I live during the month of July there was 3 shootings within a 10 block area and a police chase that ended in shots fired! Canada is almost becoming USA in a small way!
"Congratulations you are at the right place at the right time"
Thanks given by:
4 confirmed deaths, 1 in custody
Thanks given by:
New Brunswick definitely seems to have more than its share of this sort of violence, and not just Freddy and Moncton.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 10:49 AM)lewis94 Wrote: New Brunswick definitely seems to have more than its share of this sort of violence, and not just Freddy and Moncton.

I suspect it has to do unemployment rates and people living near poverty. Not that everyone there is poor or anything, but violence/crime does seem to tie closely with poverty
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 10:54 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-08-10, 10:49 AM)lewis94 Wrote: New Brunswick definitely seems to have more than its share of this sort of violence, and not just Freddy and Moncton.

I suspect it has to do unemployment rates and people living near poverty. Not that everyone there is poor or anything, but violence/crime does seem to tie closely with poverty

sure. but shooting rampages don't often have much to do with socioeconomic factors like other types of crimes do.
Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!
Thanks given by: Bong13
Either way, it's scary stuff, and certainly reminds me that PEI is not immune to something like this one day.
Thanks given by:
Just hearing about this, very sad to hear about two cops losing their lives while they just try to do their job and protect people. I wonder who the other two people are?
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 10:59 AM)venison_casserole Wrote:

sure. but shooting rampages don't often have much to do with socioeconomic factors like other types of crimes do.

True, I was talking specifically about Lewis's comment that New Brunswick seems to have more than its share of this sort of violence (I may have misread that part and thought it was just 'violence')
Thanks given by:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunsw...-1.4783937

Court issues order to suppress details about fatal Fredericton shooting

A New Brunswick Court of Queen's Bench judge has issued an order, prohibiting the publication or broadcast of previously reported details about the Fredericton shooting that claimed the lives of two city police officers and two civilians last Friday.

The information came from legally obtained documents filed in Fredericton provincial court.

CBC News plans to challenge the retroactive order, imposed late Monday afternoon by Justice Judy Clendening.

In the meantime, the media cannot "publish, broadcast, re-broadcast, transmit, re-transmit, or disseminate" any of the information already in the public domain, according to the order.

It also requires media outlets to remove from publication any of the information from the court document that had already been published.

The order remains in effect "until the termination of criminal proceedings" related to the case, which could take months, possibly years.

The accused gunman, Matthew Vincent Raymond, 48, is charged with four counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of Const. Robb Costello, 45, Const. Sara Burns, 43, and civilians Donnie Robichaud, 42, and Bobbie Lee Wright, 32.

Costello and Burns were killed while responding to reports of gunfire at an apartment complex on the 200 block of Brookside Drive at 7:10 a.m. AT on Friday.

They were the first on the scene and were gunned down as they approached two civilians who were lying on the ground. Robichaud and Wright, who had recently become a couple, also died Friday.

Raymond is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 27. He remains in custody.
Thanks given by:
A question for either the Mods or one of our lawyer members would this! How would such a ruling affect a site like ours or would there be an issue or some thing like Twitter or FaceBook? Could info here be removed?

Just wondering thats all!
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-10, 11:58 AM)theDC Wrote:
(2018-08-10, 10:59 AM)venison_casserole Wrote:

True, I was talking specifically about Lewis's comment that New Brunswick seems to have more than its share of this sort of violence (I may have misread that part and thought it was just 'violence')

Three weeks ago and the week leading up, East Saint John where I live had three shootings that left one in critical but stable condition. These were in quiet residential areas about a 4 minute drive where I live. It all came to end a week ago where the main suspect was reported pointing in a threatening way a semi-automic gun at people standing by a local Tims. Police were called and a chase started and ended with shots fired and three police cars damaged and the shooter in custody. Nobody was hurt except a lawn chair that minutes before had kids playing outside where car tried to go through.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-13, 08:42 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: A question for either the Mods or one of our lawyer members would this! How would such a ruling affect a site like ours or would there be an issue or some thing like Twitter or FaceBook? Could info here be removed?

No idea, Caper. This is a weird one for sure. We've all heard of publication bans, but what the court has asked for is pretty much an impossible request. I've never heard of an 'un-publication' ban before.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
A retroactive ban on information already well-known to the public is asinine...
Thanks given by:
This morning Justice Judy Clenndenning lifted the ban citing the RCMP acting to quickly !

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunsw...-1.4788180
Thanks given by: Lagavulin
(2018-08-14, 06:23 AM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-08-13, 08:42 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: A question for either the Mods or one of our lawyer members would this! How would such a ruling affect a site like ours or would there be an issue or some thing like Twitter or FaceBook? Could info here be removed?

No idea, Caper. This is a weird one for sure. We've all heard of publication bans, but what the court has asked for is pretty much an impossible request. I've never heard of an 'un-publication' ban before.

Sorry Ls completely for got about asking this question. Appreciate the reply Happy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunsw...-1.4788180
Thanks given by: