Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency
Let's ignore the big tv deal for a minute and just look at some of the contracts these guys are signing:

Nicolas Batum 5 years $120 million
He's a good player, so not outrageous, but still more then I would have pegged him for.

Kent Bazemore 4 years $70 million
I guess that's what 11pg gets you now

Matthew Delevadova 4 years $38 million
A bench warmer

Timofey Mozgov 4 years $64 million
If he played as well as he played in 2014/2015 this would have made sense, but he took a big step backwards last year

Chandler Parsons 4 years $95 million
14 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg and he's making almost $25 million a year. Holy crap.

And the big one....

Mike Conley 5 years $153 million
0-time All Star, but he is a two-time winner of the NBA Sportsmanship Award, so he's well deserving of the richest contract in NBA history.

It's going to take some time getting used to the new landscape of the NBA, and it's going to get even worse next year when the cap is expected to increase by another $10 million.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
The Conley one blew my mind. Only 3 players in history have made $30M+ per season: Jordan, Kobe, and now Mike Conley LOL
Thanks given by:
Man if the Celtics get Durant and/or Horford I'm gonna be pumped
Thanks given by:
Horford!!! Bring on Durant!
Thanks given by:
Rumours say for Durant it's between Warriors and Celtics.
Thanks given by:
From what I've read, the Thunder are still a serious threat. He also met with the Clippers (already ruled them out), Spurs (I don't see a fit), and Heat (sounds like it was just a pity meet up).

Looking at the remaining options, the Warriors obviously give him his best chance at winning. They would likely have to get rid of Bogut, but a starting 5 of Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Durant, and Green would be pretty lethal obviously. However, Durant wouldn't be the main man and his legacy, along with his numbers, would take a big hit.

The Celtics are an interesting option because they have one of the better young coaches in the NBA, and they have some really nice role players to go along with a plethora of draft picks that could be used to draft talent or traded to bring in established talent. As well, Thomas was an All Star last year and Horford is one of the better post players in the NBA (and Durant was trying to recruit him to come to OKC). On top of that, the Celtics recruiting efforts have apparently far exceeded the other teams'. Adding Durant to this team would surely make them a top two team in the East, and a title contender for the next few years.

From what I've read, the popular opinion is that he we rill re-sign for one year with OKC. It's undeniable, OKC still gives him a fantastic shot at winning and there must be a comfort level established with him and the team and city. The problem with re-signing in OKC is that Westbrook could leave as FA next off-season, and so it's hard to imagine Durant signing for more then one year, which has risks in itself.

Personally, I think it's either OKC or Boston. Moving to the Warriors just sounds too far fetched to me.
Thanks given by:
I think it would be bad for the league as well if he goes to the Warriors. That would be ridiculous. I heard the Celtics brought Tom Brady to the recruitment meeting. Selling him on The City of Champions.
Thanks given by:
The Kevin Durant sweepstakes are reportedly down to two teams. Warriors/Thunder.

Thanks given by:
I hope KD stays with the Thunder. He has unfinished business & it's his best shot at winning a ring
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-02, 07:56 AM)encore Wrote: Matthew Delevadova 4 years $38 million
A bench warmer

Timofey Mozgov 4 years $64 million
If he played as well as he played in 2014/2015 this would have made sense, but he took a big step backwards last year

Gotta defend these 2 a lil bit...

Dellevedova was really good last year when he had to take over for an injured Irving in the Finals, I think he's one of the best backup PGs in the league.

Mozgov's role got really reduced when Lue came in so who knows, maybe the '14-'15 was the real Mozgov.

Either way though, the contracts being handed out are ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
(2016-07-03, 09:36 PM)CTS Wrote: I hope KD stays with the Thunder.  He has unfinished business & it's his best shot at winning a ring

If it's about a ring....it's warriors...

If it's about "legacy"...then it's Thunder...
Thanks given by:
its official...

Durant to the Warriors!
Thanks given by:
crazy. How does anyone stop them now?
Thanks given by:
Durant signs with the Warriors. A lot of media outlets were reporting this as a strong possibility, but I just didn't think it could happen. I'm a hardcore Celtics fan, so I wanted him on Boston, but as an NBA fan, this is just a really disappointing decision. The NBA's biggest problem has been the lack of parity, and this is only going to make it worse. On top of that, Durant's legacy is going to take a massive hit.
Thanks given by: