Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Galchenyuk and the question what is preseason for?
I am really puzzled by the refusal of the Habs powers that be to even take a look at Galchenyuk at centre.  There really is nothing to lose and, given his struggles at left wing, it makes absolutely no sense at all.  It's like they want him to fail.
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-30, 05:26 PM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: I am really puzzled by the refusal of the Habs powers that be to even take a look at Galchenyuk at centre.  There really is nothing to lose and, given his struggles at left wing, it makes absolutely no sense at all.  It's like they want him to fail.

I was also hoping to see Galchenyuk at centre with a fresh start and a full season for Julien to work with him. Really seems like the organization has little confidence in him so they know something we don't
Thanks given by:
It's because he wasn't a good centre last year. He was a disaster in the faceoff circle and even worse defensively. Moving him to the wing reduces his defensive responsibility and keeps him out of the faceoff circle
Thanks given by:
But it's preseason and that's when they can work on things. Unless Bergevin has a deal up his sleeve we are looking at Danault as the second line centre or Pleks who has really fallen off.
Thanks given by:
Theres just way too much to work on and he seems to have not made the effort to resolve whatever his problem was last year
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-30, 06:00 PM)mada7 Wrote: Theres just way too much to work on and he seems to have not made the effort to resolve whatever his problem was last year

So the task is too hard the the team doesn't want to put in the work and the player doesn't do the work on his end. 

Sounds like things are moving along nicely
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-30, 05:40 PM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: But it's preseason and that's when they can work on things. Unless Bergevin has a deal up his sleeve we are looking at Danault as the second line centre or Pleks who has really fallen off.
That's exactly what they're doing. They are obviously not happy with what he offered as a centre. He had totally lost his game. The worst thing in the world for him right now would be to bounce back and forth between positions. They're keeping him where they think he had the best chance of success and hoping something will click. No mystery or conspiracy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Yay he scored 1 so far tonight. Playing with Dan/Shaw again
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-30, 06:55 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Yay he scored 1 so far tonight. Playing with Dan/Shaw again

He looked genuinely happy throughout the game after that...
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
If Drouin also didn't work out at center I wouldn't like this, but since he seems to be working out I like it. I think I would rather the team tell Chucky he is a LW and stick to that instead of yo-yoing him from position to position and putting pressure on him. I think the powers that be don't see him as a top centerman, so I'm excited to see what he can do on the wing without any pressure.
Thanks given by:
Right now Plekanec is our number 2 centre. That's a pretty uneasy feeling
Thanks given by:
Yeah. I just threw up a little in my mouth reading that...
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
I would still give Glachenyuk some better players to work with even if he is on wing.
I don't want to be your friend!
Thanks given by:
Well he's been demoted to the 4th line if today's practice means anyrhing. Bergiven gambled with Galchenyuk and it's starting to look like he lost. I'm starting to think we may have another Beaulieu situation playing out.

Thanks given by:
(2017-10-11, 09:15 PM)labradorcongo Wrote: Well he's been demoted to the 4th line if today's practice means anyrhing.  Bergiven gambled with Galchenyuk and it's starting to look like he lost. I'm starting to think we may have another Beaulieu situation playing out.

Looking like he should have traded him (if anyone even wanted him this offseason) and now the value won't be there.  Galchenyuk has had one stretch of hockey from Feb 2017 to his injury in Dec 2017 where he looked like he was going to be a star and after coming back wasn't the same.  Not sure if the injury affected him that much or mentally he is a mess.

The start of that stretch the team had nothing to play for, the end of that stretch the team was flying high and he was already given C position to start the year.  Perhaps once the pressure mounts he simply can't handle any adversity.
Thanks given by:
Hard to say but there's one thing for sure. 4th line is not the answer. If a) if MB's intent is to trade him but his value is too low then playing 4th line role/minutes will do nothing to improve his play and the value, b) if MB intends on keeping him then how on earth is playing him in that role effective. Scratching him would have more effect if a wake up call is the intent. c) this was a demotion for practice only. Just a light wake up call. But come Saturday will be slotted top 6.

To me only the last scenario makes any sense at all and I'm still not sure if take that approach. I'd give him some time on the top line. It's not like they could score less anyway.

Thanks given by:
Galchenyuk not at practice today.....
???........Flu.......????
Cough, cough.....
Thanks given by:
Lol got to say I thought the same thing. If I were Chuck I too would be sick of all this. I'd be cashing in a sick day too.
Thanks given by:
(2017-10-13, 12:46 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Lol got to say I thought the same thing. If I were Chuck I too would be sick of all this. I'd be cashing in a sick day too.

He cashed in when he signed his last contract. Best to suck it up and show that he can still elevate his game in this league if he wants to sign an even more lucrative contract next time.
Thanks given by: