Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Thread: Columbus at Montreal 7:30 p.m. EST, TSN2, RDS, TSN Radio 690
(2017-11-15, 11:22 AM)New Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 09:33 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: I thought last night we played a really good game and gave a very good effort. This time we can honestly say we were beat by the opposition goaltending. Sometimes we get a ton of shots, but they are mostly into the chest of the goalie and its a busy, but easy night for his. Last night Babrovsky didnt have it easy and he had to make some incredible saves. We had him moving and battling a good portion of the game and thats what you have to do to beat him, but unfortunately he is the best goalie on the planet as we speak and he played that way.

Lindgren did his part, Pacioretty was working hard and driving to the net, him, Gallagher and Byron really were leading the way, but everyone played well. It was the type of game we need to play to be successful. If we play this way all the time we will win more than we lose.

Usually its a case of not having that killer instinct, but I think last night we were simply robbed by the best goalie in the world, something we have had the pleasure of inflicting on other teams in the past. Just doesnt feel so good when the tables are turned Silly

I'd disagree a bit I'm afraid. The Habs weren't robbed. They now have a team shooting % of about 6.6, almost a full 50% below the usual league average. It is not Bobrowsky they can't score against, it is everybody.

This is what teams like TO went through where fans blamed refs, posts, hot goaltenders, anything but the team itself. The Habs just aren't very good and aren't going to get better very soon. They will simply continue to try and not lose. 

The team is poorly coached, inadequately managed, and going nowhere. Repairing it in 2012 was a possibility however they chose to carry on with new staff. The results of that decision are now 5 seasons in, enough time to judge the organization on it's progress.

No NHL team shoots 6.6%. The sole reason your team shoots 6.6% a quarter way into the season is that your shots are not from the areas from which goals come. In other words you are shooting from the ceded areas teams will allow. Nobody defends against you shooting from there because those are not worrisome shots. 

The Habs are on track to finish 20 some points out of the wild card position. Once teams crank it up for positioning near the trade deadline onwards they will likely acquire even fewer points. The players already know this. This season is going to get really bad. Really bad.

There is more skill on this team than on many other NHL teams. That it is not utilized (check out what they sent out in OT and what they did with the puck) is their game philosophy in a nutshell. Try not to lose, try not to lose, try not to lose. The very words not inscribed ever on the Stanley Cup.

These guys annoy me. I think I'm taking a break from them. Luv the players. The suits not so much.

I dont disagree that there are major issues with this team and that we are to blame for our own failures, but IMO last night was different. As I mentioned in my comment the norm is that it would seem we are "dominating" or "getting robbed" because we keep shooting at the net, when in fact we are typically just making goalies look good by shooting right into them and not making them work for the save. 

I based my comment about us being robbed by a brilliant goalie more on Bobrovsky's actual performance and the quality of shots and saves he made. Last night wasn't the norm, it was a complete rarity with this team. But Bobrovsky had to move, he had to extend and challenge. He wasn't getting the usual shots that we normally send the way of a goalie. IMO, last night was one of the rare times we could say that the opposing goalie stole the game
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 11:47 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 09:33 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: I thought last night we played a really good game and gave a very good effort. This time we can honestly say we were beat by the opposition goaltending. Sometimes we get a ton of shots, but they are mostly into the chest of the goalie and its a busy, but easy night for his. Last night Babrovsky didnt have it easy and he had to make some incredible saves. We had him moving and battling a good portion of the game and thats what you have to do to beat him, but unfortunately he is the best goalie on the planet as we speak and he played that way.

Lindgren did his part, Pacioretty was working hard and driving to the net, him, Gallagher and Byron really were leading the way, but everyone played well. It was the type of game we need to play to be successful. If we play this way all the time we will win more than we lose.

Usually its a case of not having that killer instinct, but I think last night we were simply robbed by the best goalie in the world, something we have had the pleasure of inflicting on other teams in the past. Just doesnt feel so good when the tables are turned Silly

I'd disagree a bit I'm afraid. The Habs weren't robbed. They now have a team shooting % of about 6.6, almost a full 50% below the usual league average. It is not Bobrowsky they can't score against, it is everybody.

This is what teams like TO went through where fans blamed refs, posts, hot goaltenders, anything but the team itself. The Habs just aren't very good and aren't going to get better very soon. They will simply continue to try and not lose. 

The team is poorly coached, inadequately managed, and going nowhere. Repairing it in 2012 was a possibility however they chose to carry on with new staff. The results of that decision are now 5 seasons in, enough time to judge the organization on it's progress.

No NHL team shoots 6.6%. The sole reason your team shoots 6.6% a quarter way into the season is that your shots are not from the areas from which goals come. In other words you are shooting from the ceded areas teams will allow. Nobody defends against you shooting from there because those are not worrisome shots. 

The Habs are on track to finish 20 some points out of the wild card position. Once teams crank it up for positioning near the trade deadline onwards they will likely acquire even fewer points. The players already know this. This season is going to get really bad. Really bad.

There is more skill on this team than on many other NHL teams. That it is not utilized (check out what they sent out in OT and what they did with the puck) is their game philosophy in a nutshell. Try not to lose, try not to lose, try not to lose. The very words not inscribed ever on the Stanley Cup.

These guys annoy me. I think I'm taking a break from them. Luv the players. The suits not so much.

I dont disagree that there are major issues with this team and that we are to blame for our own failures, but IMO last night was different. As I mentioned in my comment the norm is that it would seem we are "dominating" or "getting robbed" because we keep shooting at the net, when in fact we are typically just making goalies look good by shooting right into them and not making them work for the save. 

I based my comment about us being robbed by a brilliant goalie more on Bobrovsky's actual performance and the quality of shots and saves he made. Last night wasn't the norm, it was a complete rarity with this team. But Bobrovsky had to move, he had to extend and challenge. He wasn't getting the usual shots that we normally send the way of a goalie. IMO, last night was one of the rare times we could say that the opposing goalie stole the game
That save on DLR..wow..
weedwacking/flamethrowing grandma smurf
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 11:42 AM)northern1 Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 10:05 AM)mada7 Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 09:08 AM)northern1 Wrote: and if he signed here, and had 5 points you would be on MB for the signing. You are the best hindsight fan....ever.

Ive felt for months that Bergevin's attempt to turn this core into a winner is a futile one but if you're going to do a stupid plan at least do the stupid plan well. Even if he had 5 points after signing her he would still be working his butt off which is more than can be said for most this roster and it's also 5 more points than would be generated from Johnny Capspace.

Using your line of reasoning no GM has ever made a bad move almost by definition because if they did the opposite and it didn't work out people would get mad at them for that. There is literally no way for a GM to make a mistake in your view of things

Well, you certainly can relate to the stupid plan done well (?).... so 5 points for 6M, as long as he's working, is fine with you.....lol. Bullshit.

And using your reasoning of anything MB has done, it's wrong. Why would you cheer for such a bunch of losers....??

It's 5 more points than literally nobody. I have a much easier time accepting someone that tries hard but doesn't succeed like Radulov in that case than I would some like Pacioretty who floats around the ice most nights playing to not get hurt.

Bergevin has done plenty right just not lately. The bigger problem is that the things he's done wrong have locked us into mediocrity for the foreseeable future so we won't get to win anything, can't properly tank, and can't effectively unload the players we would need to unload to tank
Thanks given by:
Montreal is 2 points out of a playoff spot with only 63 games left to play.

Only 2 teams in the Eastern conf. (and only 2 in the Western) have more wins in their last 10 games than Montreal.

--Go Habs Go!--
Thanks given by:
Burly usually has this posted by now, but here's Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts for this week:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-th...iens-page/

--Go Habs Go!--
Thanks given by:
I agree with some of the points made above especially who we are putting out in the overtime periods. I think the team is playing all right right now just need a little puck luck and of course a trade for a quality Center would be great but we know in this day and age those are tough to make. Worst part of the team is defense who can't get the puck up properly to the forwards and are hemmed in constantly making bad passes
Thanks given by:
Also think Lindgren should stick and the waiver pick up yesterday should be at best sent to Laval. What else does Lindgren have to do and what else does he have to develop in the AHL he's there now keep him up please he can learn from price and put pressure on him as well
Thanks given by:
Engels on Price's current injury situation:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/carey...ay-injury/

--Go Habs Go!--
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 01:28 PM)Sir Lance Compte Wrote: Also think Lindgren should stick and the waiver pick up yesterday should be at best sent to Laval. What else does Lindgren have to do and what else does he have to develop in the AHL he's there now keep him up please he can learn from price and put pressure on him as well

It was Fucale who got sent down when Niemi arrived. Lindgren is still on the Canadiens' roster

--Go Habs Go!--
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 01:35 PM)BBB Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 01:28 PM)Sir Lance Compte Wrote: Also think Lindgren should stick and the waiver pick up yesterday should be at best sent to Laval. What else does Lindgren have to do and what else does he have to develop in the AHL he's there now keep him up please he can learn from price and put pressure on him as well

It was Fucale who got sent down when Niemi arrived. Lindgren is still on the Canadiens' roster
I was unclear and what I meant. I hope they keep Lindgren up and not niemi once price returns
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 01:38 PM)Sir Lance Compte Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 01:35 PM)BBB Wrote:

I was unclear and what I meant. I hope they keep Lindgren up and not niemi once price returns

My bad for misreading you.

I believe that Niemi is strictly an insurance policy and that he ranks behind Montoya and Lindgren (but ahead of Fucale) right now on the depth chart. At this point, Lindgren may have indeed passed Montoya on the depth chart. Caveat on ranking young goalies with a limited amount of pro games. Lindgren sure seems to be the real deal, but I remember the folks over in Ottawa getting all worked up when Hammond came up and went on a big roll there. Hammond has yet to regain that level of play.
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 11:49 AM)Mavid Wrote: That save on DLR..wow..

Yeah, it was pretty good but I would give DLR some credit for that save as well.  He took far too long to get his shot off.  If he had one-timed it or fired it right after it settled Bob would not have had time to make the save.  I was more impressed with the three saves in a row he made on Patches.
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 02:11 PM)Blondie Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 11:49 AM)Mavid Wrote: That save on DLR..wow..

Yeah, it was pretty good but I would give DLR some credit for that save as well.  He took far too long to get his shot off.  If he had one-timed it or fired it right after it settled Bob would not have had time to make the save.  I was more impressed with the three saves in a row he made on Patches.

DLR is not used to seeing this level of tending in the AHL. 4th line wasn't bad last night. On the whole, the guys played well and Bobrovski saved Torts' butt.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2017-11-15, 11:49 AM)Mavid Wrote:
(2017-11-15, 11:47 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:

That save on DLR..wow..

It appeared DLR took far too long to release the shot giving Bobo time to adjust, he needed to one time the shot.
Thanks given by: