Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Thread: HABS HOME OPENER vs LA KINGS 7:30PM- TSN2 and TSN690
(2018-10-13, 11:53 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 11:44 AM)Habituated Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:01 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 07:21 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 06:58 PM)Leb7 Wrote: An interesting take on last evening game, close to my take.
https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2018/...kotkaniemi
The second youngest team in the NHL never gave up and fought to the last minute against a heavier veteran team.

"At least they tried hard."

Ladies and gentlemen, your storied Montreal Canadiens.

#getafteritMB
Of course, flippant sarcasm is a must. 

I think that Leb7 has a point, as the article he quoted did. 

If you remember last season, MON would pack it in early after a deflating goal like the one that Carey Price let in during the season opener in Montreal. It certainly didn't help that, often, mere seconds or a few minutes later, the team's Goalie would often proceed to gift-wrap another goal to completely shred the burst bubble's already tattered rubber.

Last year's team had no fight in them. The players were too busy snivelling, "Here we go again," to try and claw back into games. They were eagerly looking for excuses outside of their own play.

Three games is far from a benchmark of effort and no quit attitude, but, at least, in the loss, it wasn't a case of players mailing it in with two periods left. That's not a position of it could be worse. That's just a good trait to examine over the long haul.

It will be important to see if that fighter attitude persists, especially if losses keep mounting, but if that is one ingredient of MON's new identity that sticks, it is just a good omen for the future as talent keeps grafting itself to the team over the next few years.

A defeatist attitude is one to spread easily and drag own a team. Avoiding such a mindset is tantamount to turning a losing culture around, IMO. 

I think that fans like to whine about needing to rebuild over time, but then hack away at the team as a bunch of losers in the initial phases of that process as proof of management's great failure. It makes zero sense to play both angles while trying to remain coherent.

It sounds to me like more of a love affair with plain whining. There seems to be no game plan to the complaints other than complaining for the sake of complaining.

Does the team appear to have a better dynamic (or, deah lawdy, attitude) so for this season? Yep. But it's early yet, kinda like the pronouncements that Price is "back." The sample size is way too small.

Not quitting in (a dismal-ish) game three of the season is one thing; let's see how they react when the record is 1-8-1 (hypothetically) or 1-18-1 (even more hypotheorizing) and find themselves down 2-0 seven or eight minutes into a game. That would be a better indicator of how much things have changed from last year (minus the whole losing thing, of course Wink ).

Naturally, the attitude on the team -- and among most of the fans -- would be much better if the record runs to 8-1-1 and 18-1-1, but those are perhaps even bigger hypotheticals ... depending on where one falls on the Polly <----> Nelly scale.
That's the joke in the responses. I said as much in my post and it's like I didn't from the answers to the post. People are deadlocked in their mindsets and just looking to categorize according to polarities.

Hence, little to no discussion resulting.

I just said to keep an eye on how things develop while keeping in mind that continuing to be fighters if we begin to lose more frequently will be a good omen for the future as the team gets injected with more talent to go with this mindset.

While I'm firmly entrenched in what has been dubbed the "meh zone," I'm happy to see any improvement. There has been some so far this young season, particularly on the entertainment side, despite Thursday's outcome.

I don't know what the record will be like after 10 or 20 games, but I can guess, extrapolating from past performance and the current talent level. I'm much less confident in guessing what the attitude will be like 10 or 20 games in, win, lose or draw. Like you, I'll be watching for that.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 12:03 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 11:43 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:51 AM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:43 AM)Albert Burtlap Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:01 AM)Scriptor Wrote: Of course, flippant sarcasm is a must. 

If you remember last season, MON would pack it in early after a deflating goal like the one that Carey Price let in during the season opener in Montreal. It certainly didn't help that, often, mere seconds or a few minutes later, the team's Goalie would often proceed to gift-wrap another goal to completely shred the burst bubble's already tattered rubber.

Last year's team had no fight in them. The players were too busy snivelling, "Here we go again," to try and claw back into games. They were eagerly looking for excuses outside of their own play.

Three games is far from a benchmark of effort and no quit attitude, but, at least, in the loss, it wasn't a case of players mailing it in with two periods left. That's not a position of it could be worse. That's just a good trait to examine over the long haul.

It will be important to see if that fighter attitude persists, especially if losses keep mounting, but if that is one ingredient of MON's new identity that sticks, it is just a good omen for the future as talent keeps grafting itself to the team over the next few years.

A defeatist attitude is one to spread easily and drag own a team. Avoiding such a mindset is tantamount to turning a losing culture around, IMO. 

I think that fans like to whine about needing to rebuild over time, but then hack away at the team as a bunch of losers in the initial phases of that process as proof of management's great failure. It makes zero sense to play both angles while trying to remain coherent.

It sounds to me like more of a love affair with plain whining. There seems to be no game plan to the complaints other than complaining for the sake of complaining.

I agree with and really like the notion you've raised about the fight back this team has shown so far.  It's actually not that many seasons ago, maybe 3-4, certainly within MB's time here that this team had a knack for climbing back in games they'd be down.  

As for the complaining, it is as common and uncontrollable as the weather and I choose to handle it much the same way.

It was not that many seasons ago when MB's team started 9-0 and you could have drowned a toddler in our collective panties. And they still cratered and finished in the muck and the mire. 

We are like starving dogs, so enured to our hunger and disappointment that a mere morsel of effort seems like an entire tub of Alpo.
That's an atrocious way to look at things. People can't be happy in the moment -- even marginally -- when things are going relatively well because there is always the possibility that the sky will fall on their heads. WTF!?

#Alwaysassumetheworstwillinevitablyfollow

And that's supposed to be passed off as realism? How do your Halloween parties go? Pass out the cyanide pills as guests arrive and warn the morgue in advance?

#depressioncentral

I can enjoy effort. I enjoy wins. After 25 years, it's not hard to compartmentalize and find your slivers of joy wherever they may be.

Doesn't change the fact that fans of the Montreal Canadiens are now thrilled by mere effort in Game 3 of the regular season. These aren't the Minnesota Wild. 

Our periwinkle pud purveyor and leader of all things Hab doesn't even profess to having championship aspirations. For the Montreal Canadiens.

I don't mind if fans soak through their Depends because the team tried hard in a 3-0 loss. I mind the fact that it's come to that point. That the Montreal Canadiens, not the Minnesota Wild or the Arizona Coyotes, have created a fanspace where we're reduced to a celebration of highly paid professionals putting forth an effort. We've accepted the mediocrity MB has delivered and are moist with anything beyond that.

That is realism. Mine, anyway.

And, even factoring in your own purple sarcasm, equating thoughts on a hockey team to mass murder/suicide would be an actual atrocious way of looking at things, no?
The fact? THRILLED? I don't see that, despite you repeating it until you can present it as fact.

I don't see the abject, uncontrolled, gleeful delirium from fans at mere effort in Game 3 that you keep alluding to. That's reducing the discussion. Falsely categorizing in a caricatural dimension.

That's all I'm pointing out as off the mark. 

The derisive sarcasm is entirely your right. Misrepresenting things in the process isn't and alluding to it as fact isn't.

I'm on board with the sarcasm at least 58.75% of the time, 8 out of 10 times. Wink

I just disagree with the alleged facts you keep pointing out when it comes to your depiction of how those who don't share your opinion are actually thinking.

You stereotype other posters opinions when they are many degrees of several opinions.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 12:08 PM)Habituated Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 11:53 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 11:44 AM)Habituated Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:01 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 07:21 PM)RightNyder Wrote: "At least they tried hard."

Ladies and gentlemen, your storied Montreal Canadiens.

#getafteritMB
Of course, flippant sarcasm is a must. 

Does the team appear to have a better dynamic (or, deah lawdy, attitude) so for this season? Yep. But it's early yet, kinda like the pronouncements that Price is "back." The sample size is way too small.

Not quitting in (a dismal-ish) game three of the season is one thing; let's see how they react when the record is 1-8-1 (hypothetically) or 1-18-1 (even more hypotheorizing) and find themselves down 2-0 seven or eight minutes into a game. That would be a better indicator of how much things have changed from last year (minus the whole losing thing, of course Wink ).

Naturally, the attitude on the team -- and among most of the fans -- would be much better if the record runs to 8-1-1 and 18-1-1, but those are perhaps even bigger hypotheticals ... depending on where one falls on the Polly <----> Nelly scale.
That's the joke in the responses. I said as much in my post and it's like I didn't from the answers to the post. People are deadlocked in their mindsets and just looking to categorize according to polarities.

Hence, little to no discussion resulting.

I just said to keep an eye on how things develop while keeping in mind that continuing to be fighters if we begin to lose more frequently will be a good omen for the future as the team gets injected with more talent to go with this mindset.

While I'm firmly entrenched in what has been dubbed the "meh zone," I'm happy to see any improvement. There has been some so far this young season, particularly on the entertainment side, despite Thursday's outcome.

I don't know what the record will be like after 10 or 20 games, but I can guess, extrapolating from past performance and the current talent level. I'm much less confident in guessing what the attitude will be like 10 or 20 games in, win, lose or draw. Like you, I'll be watching for that.
It's nothing to write home about, for sure, in terms of entertainment, on its own, but it might be a telltale for what is to come in the following years. MON needs to avoid developing a losing mentality with the younger players bowing their heads at the first obstacle that they face.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 12:17 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:51 AM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:43 AM)Albert Burtlap Wrote: I agree with and really like the notion you've raised about the fight back this team has shown so far.  It's actually not that many seasons ago, maybe 3-4, certainly within MB's time here that this team had a knack for climbing back in games they'd be down.  

As for the complaining, it is as common and uncontrollable as the weather and I choose to handle it much the same way.

It was not that many seasons ago when MB's team started 9-0 and you could have drowned a toddler in our collective panties. And they still cratered and finished in the muck and the mire. 

We are like starving dogs, so enured to our hunger and disappointment that a mere morsel of effort seems like an entire tub of Alpo.
That's an atrocious way to look at things. People can't be happy in the moment -- even marginally -- when things are going relatively well because there is always the possibility that the sky will fall on their heads. WTF!?

And that's supposed to be passed off as realism? How do your Halloween parties go? Pass out the cyanide pills as guests arrive and warn the morgue in advance?

#depressioncentral

I can enjoy effort. I enjoy wins. After 25 years, it's not hard to compartmentalize and find your slivers of joy wherever they may be.

Doesn't change the fact that fans of the Montreal Canadiens are now thrilled by mere effort in Game 3 of the regular season. These aren't the Minnesota Wild. 

Our periwinkle pud purveyor and leader of all things Hab doesn't even profess to having championship aspirations. For the Montreal Canadiens.

I don't mind if fans soak through their Depends because the team tried hard in a 3-0 loss. I mind the fact that it's come to that point. That the Montreal Canadiens, not the Minnesota Wild or the Arizona Coyotes, have created a fanspace where we're reduced to a celebration of highly paid professionals putting forth an effort. We've accepted the mediocrity MB has delivered and are moist with anything beyond that.

And, even factoring in your own purple sarcasm, equating thoughts on a hockey team to mass murder/suicide would be an actual atrocious way of looking at things, no?
The fact? THRILLED? I don't see that, despite you repeating it until you can present it as fact.

I don't see the abject, uncontrolled, gleeful delirium from fans at mere effort in Game 3 that you keep alluding to. That's reducing the discussion. Falsely categorizing in a caricatural dimension.

The derisive sarcasm is entirely your right. Misrepresenting things in the process isn't and alluding to it as fact isn't.

I'm on board with the sarcasm at least 58.75% of the time, 8 out of 10 times. Wink

I just disagree with the alleged facts you keep pointing out when it comes to your depiction of how those who don't share your opinion are actually thinking.

You stereotype other posters opinions when they are many degrees of several opinions.

Disagree. I use the stereotypes/hyperbole/sarcasm for fun. I know you get that.

The post that started all of this was clearly along those lines. 

"Yay. We try hard. Purple stuff. Shytgibbons. #woooooo"

However, the overarching theme that we're no longer the Montreal Canadiens, and that's something I'll never be OK with, is an actual fact.
Thanks given by: FormalWare
(2018-10-13, 12:28 PM)RightNyder Wrote: However, the overarching theme that we're no longer the Montreal Canadiens, and that's something I'll never be OK with, is an actual fact.
However, the overarching theme that we're no longer the Montreal Canadiens of my youth, and that's something I'll never be OK with, is an actual fact.
FTFY
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 12:28 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 09:51 AM)RightNyder Wrote: It was not that many seasons ago when MB's team started 9-0 and you could have drowned a toddler in our collective panties. And they still cratered and finished in the muck and the mire. 

#depressioncentral

However, the overarching theme that we're no longer the Montreal Canadiens, and that's something I'll never be OK with, is an actual fact.
Certainly won't disagree with this observation that stirs a nostalgia which I consider myself lucky to be able to recall.

While I don't expect to see MON as a perpetual dynasty as it once was, I certainly wish to see a change in hockey culture at the ownership level and at the management level. While i believe that we are perhaps stating to see something in that direction, I doubt that it will ever reach the sweeping level of change in culture that I think it should, to come closer to dynasty years at some point in the future.

I honestly believe that the key to MON winning over other teams, while overcoming the main obstacles of taxation and the inability to attract elite UFA talent on the few occasions that it becomes available, will be in a new approach to the roster.

MON will need to have balance on four lines that it can roll out against any of the other teams' lines. Ideally those four lines would need the skill level of three 2nd lines and a 3rd line to come out ahead of most teams with a top line, a 2nd line, a checking line and an energy line, towing the old model

It would also allow MON to compete with teams who have progressed beyond this outdated model.

To do so, MON would need to identify and lock in a top-6 core early, going with younger, talented players for the other two lines. 

Pressure would then be on management to correctly identify the right players to proceed with as the younger players matured more quickly and reached UFA status faster.

That's how I see MON progressing to a youth movement with results. 

Better scouting, better player evaluation, better drafting and better development for a team primarily built from within and rejuvenated from within.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 12:57 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 12:28 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 11:43 AM)Scriptor Wrote: That's an atrocious way to look at things. People can't be happy in the moment -- even marginally -- when things are going relatively well because there is always the possibility that the sky will fall on their heads. WTF!?

#depressioncentral

Certainly won't disagree with this observation that stirs a nostalgia which I consider myself lucky to be able to recall.

While I don't expect to see MON as a perpetual dynasty as it once was, I certainly wish to see a change in hockey culture at the ownership level and at the management level. While i believe that we are perhaps stating to see something in that direction, I doubt that it will ever reach the sweeping level of change in culture that I think it should, to come closer to dynasty years at some point in the future.

I honestly believe that the key to MON winning over other teams, while overcoming the main obstacles of taxation and the inability to attract elite UFA talent on the few occasions that it becomes available, will be in a new approach to the roster.

MON will need to have balance on four lines that it can roll out against any of the other teams' lines. Ideally those four lines would need the skill level of three 2nd lines and a 3rd line to come out ahead of most teams with a top line, a 2nd line, a checking line and an energy line, towing the old model

It would also allow MON to compete with teams who have progressed beyond this outdated model.

To do so, MON would need to identify and lock in a top-6 core early, going with younger, talented players for the other two lines. 

Pressure would then be on management to correctly identify the right players to proceed with as the younger players matured more quickly and reached UFA status faster.

That's how I see MON progressing to a youth movement with results. 

Better scouting, better player evaluation, better drafting and better development for a team primarily built from within and rejuvenated from within.

So, essentially we agree on many points, but I make purple jokes?

Also, I really, really, really look forward to them trying extra hard tonight. Wink
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-11, 10:08 PM)Leavethecoachalone Wrote: Terrifying me that the only points scored by a defenceman on the HABS this season are 2 assists from Petry.

Trading Subban set the mobility of this defence back years.  Of course than Bergevin snubbing Markov took our greatest vision off the ice also.

All these moves were to protect and insulate Price further.  Yet its done the opposite in fact, and exposed him.

Goes to show you how far this ownership will go to continuously try and take focus off the worst player on the team by position and favorable ice time he receives because his position is naturally designed to not have competition, and of course he makes Connor McDavid money, well almost.

2 points from our defence!

Meanwhile Morgan Rielly.  Yeah not anything close to a stud of a defencemen has 12.

Bergevin you suck at hockey team building in the most profound of ways...and we all know your still here because the Habs have made alot of money riding the coattails of the Worlds Greatest Goaltender.

Stuff it all you Carey Price lovers.  Your in serious denial.

Wow i get u dont like MB or where the team is at right now

But leafs GM built cap too and ended up drafting in top 7: Kadri, Reilly, Nylander, Marner, Matthews

If anything our GM is doing too good a job. Team needs to be crappy for a few yrs if u want ur first PP dman to score a lot
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 03:43 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:
(2018-10-11, 10:08 PM)Leavethecoachalone Wrote: Terrifying me that the only points scored by a defenceman on the HABS this season are 2 assists from Petry.

Trading Subban set the mobility of this defence back years.  Of course than Bergevin snubbing Markov took our greatest vision off the ice also.

All these moves were to protect and insulate Price further.  Yet its done the opposite in fact, and exposed him.

Goes to show you how far this ownership will go to continuously try and take focus off the worst player on the team by position and favorable ice time he receives because his position is naturally designed to not have competition, and of course he makes Connor McDavid money, well almost.

Meanwhile Morgan Rielly.  Yeah not anything close to a stud of a defencemen has 12.

Bergevin you suck at hockey team building in the most profound of ways...and we all know your still here because the Habs have made alot of money riding the coattails of the Worlds Greatest Goaltender.

But leafs GM built cap too and ended up drafting in top 7: Kadri, Reilly, Nylander, Marner, Matthews

If anything our GM is doing too good a job. Team needs to be crappy for a few yrs if u want ur first PP dman to score a lot

Said no one, ever. 

He's had two No. 3 overall picks and another top-10 pick. Two of those are gone. 11 top-100 picks in his first two years. Only one of them expected to make a top-six impact this year.

Had an inherited core featuring a young Hart/Vezina candidate in goal; a young Norris Trophy candidate on D; a young first-line sniper on LW, a 1 LHD, one of the league's best two-way C's, plus young Gallagher and said boatload of picks.

Seven years in, we're left sopping when his team tries hard.

Yup, too good a job.

#getafteritMB

(I realize you're kidding but can't pass up a chance like this...)
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 03:52 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 03:43 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:

Said no one, ever. 

He's had two No. 3 overall picks and another top-10 pick. Two of those are gone. 11 top-100 picks in his first two years. Only one of them expected to make a top-six impact this year.

Had an inherited core featuring a young Hart/Vezina candidate in goal; a young Norris Trophy candidate on D; a young first-line sniper on LW, a 1 LHD, one of the league's best two-way C's, plus young Gallagher and said boatload of picks.

Seven years in, we're left sopping when his team tries hard.

Yup, too good a job.

#getafteritMB

(I realize you're kidding but can't pass up a chance like this...)
And dont forget the team Attitude of past,was much better than his team.