Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Thread: Original 6 - Black Hawks @ Maple Leafs
(2019-03-15, 09:02 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I will third this motion, can we get a 4th?

Hey I will Bo I will 4th the motion and it carried.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-03-15, 11:34 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote:
(2019-03-15, 11:12 AM)CaperLeaf Wrote: Andersen spoke up about the Leafs situation and rightly so. Very happy he did.

What is sorely missing on this team is a Captain. I put that fully on Dubas and Babcock. This team needs a Captain that can freely speak to the coach(s) and/or Dubas about problems. Right now only the three A players, not good enough. I know we here have had discussions but the time has come for a Captain. I don’t care who it could be any player, but I look at Reilly, Tavares or even Marner. Matthews has not yet earned the right imo to be considered.

Captain for me would go:

1- Rielly
2- Tavares
3- Marner
4- Matthews

...and the gap between the top two and the other two is pretty big.

IMO it's a mistake if we name a captain and it's not Rielly or Tavares. 

To me it's Rielly. Up a goal or down a goal in the final minute, he's going to be out there. He does it all for this team, he's been here for his entire career, and he knows how to handle the good and bad in Toronto. To date, Mitch and Auston have only seen "good Toronto". Rielly has been on the ice while people threw jerseys over the glass, and he's better equipped to handle the adversity IMO. 

...and fair warning to the kids who have only seen good Toronto, if you go quietly out in round 1, you'll see bad Toronto bubble to the surface pretty quickly.

And next year, when Matthews and Marner are going to join Tavares as 3 of the top 5 paid players in the entire league? The fans who loved you as a kid on his ELC will now demand that you perform at a level commensurate to your cap hit. 

The T.O. pressure cooker hasn't been turned on while Matthews and Marner have been here, and to me it's a real risk to name a captain who hasn't been in it.

I knowAtthewsisexpected to be one of two franchise players the other Marner, but I just don’t seem Matthews as Captain material I would prefer Reilly, but would have no issues with Tavares. Just get a Captain so a line of team communication can be opened between the team and the coaches which seems to be sorely missing in the second half!
“Success is Walking from Failure to Failure with no Loss of Enthusiasm.”
Winston Churchill
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-15, 04:31 PM)Ancientfan Wrote:
(2019-03-15, 09:02 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I will third this motion, can we get a 4th?

Hey I will Bo I will  4th the motion and it carried.

Fully 1000% agree!
Winston Churchill
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-15, 04:06 PM)Sportking Wrote: No votes for Hyman?

Some people hate him i guess but he is a big leader imo

Nope, let him write children’sbooks!
Winston Churchill
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-15, 01:50 PM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: Both would be good choices.  I'd go with Tavares personally.  Hate making a d-men captain in this market.  Every mistake in his own end's going to get blown up by fans and the media.  Not that it won't happen to Tavares as well though lol.

This week Reilly came out standing tall amid a pending controversy and did very well. Hecame to the defence of Andersen’s comments about the team’s performance this week so far. So he gets my vote and he was drafted and developed bybthe Leafs and could be the top defensive player in the league in voting this year for the Norris. He is a born leader IMHO!
Winston Churchill
Thanks given by:
(2019-03-15, 04:00 PM)Chip Wrote:
(2019-03-15, 09:09 AM)Lumbergh Wrote: Lol at Lumb vs Chip.

That's like a giant vs an ant.

He'll learn his place.

Not enough hugs as a kid, Lumberg?

Like the Mod's said... Let it go boys. Sometimes stuff gets said in haste. Sometimes it just goes too far. Move on fellas. GO LEAFS GO!! (That is why we are here, right?).
Thanks given by:
I think Marner or Hy would make excellent captain options. Then again I also think the setup now is fine.
Thanks given by: