Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Thread: Something Bruin...Leafs need to Bear down and tame the Grizzly
Big game tonight....I'm missing it due to a staff party but the boys need to pull it out!
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 04:18 PM)Sportking Wrote: Big game tonight....I'm missing it due to a staff party but the boys need to pull it out!

Lol. Good title !
Thanks given by:
BOSTON -- Frederik Andersen has a more than respectable 164-70-31 career regular-season record in the NHL.

But against the Boston Bruins, his record is 11-1-0 as he and the Toronto Maple Leafs visit Boston on Saturday night in the opener of Toronto's five-game road trip.

Andersen, who did lose a seven-game playoff series to the Bruins last season, has a 2.08 goals-against average and .937 save percentage in the regular season against Boston. That might not be a great omen for the current Bruins, who are having all kinds of trouble scoring goals.

The injury-ravaged Bruins have lost three straight games, all in regulation -- the first time that has happened since March 2017. They have scored four goals in the three games, a stretch that includes the fifth shutout this season.

They are 4-4-2 in their last 10 and haven't scored more than three goals in any of those games, limited to just 16 goals.

They were dreadful in a 5-0 loss at Florida on Tuesday but played better in a 3-2 loss at Tampa Bay on Thursday.

"You have to be very good to beat these guys," coach Bruce Cassidy said after the game. "We weren't quite there yet but much better than the previous night."

The same night, the Maple Leafs, with Michael Nylander making his season debut after signing his new six-year contract, rallied for three goals to force overtime before their five-game winning streak ended in overtime at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings.

"They were just better than us," Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after his team fell to 20-8-1. "The greatest thing about the game, I say this all the time, it's so honest. They played harder, they were better and I thought we did a real good job to get ourselves a point, but they were the team that deserved the two. It was great that we got one. We didn't have enough hands on deck."

On Nov. 26, the Leafs defeated the Bruins in Toronto behind Andersen, who made 38 saves in his latest victory over the Bruins. The goaltender comes in 16-7-0 with a 2.32 goals-against average and .931 save percentage this season.

If Cassidy continues with his rotation, Jaroslav Halak will be back in net Saturday after Tuukka Rask lost Thursday night.

Halak is 9-4-4 with a 2.84 goals-against average and .913 save percentage lifetime against the Leafs.

Nylander logged 12:29 on 18 shifts in his debut, failing to put anything on the board.

"I thought Willy was fine," Babcock said. "It was probably unfair for me -- we had the bus (breakdown in Buffalo) thing that happened, we were supposed to practice together, we never even gave the guy a practice. We wanted to get him in."

The Bruins have Charlie McAvoy back on a defense that has been without as many as six players at one time and is still trying to survive without captain Zdeno Chara and Kevan Miller. Up front, Boston is without Patrice Bergeron, who leads this team in all phases of the game.

They scored early and late Thursday night, but the Lightning scored their three in between and hung on for the win.

"Tonight is a little more disappointing (than frustrating), to be honest with you," Cassidy said. "We were right there."

David Krejci broke an 18-game goal-scoring drought with his 590th career point Thursday. That tied him with team president Cam Neely for 10th place on the club's career scoring list -- with Neely at the game.

The Bruins (14-10-4) visit Ottawa on Sunday and return home to play the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday night.

Boston claimed Gemel Smith off waivers from the Dallas Stars on Thursday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2055452/
Thanks given by:
https://www.nhl.com/news/toronto-maple-l...-302729748

MAPLE LEAFS (20-8-1) at BRUINS (14-10-4)

7 p.m. ET; NHLN, CBC , SN, SN1, NESN , NHL.TV

The Game
The Toronto Maple Leafs will try to extend their point streak to seven games when they face the Boston Bruins at TD Garden on Saturday.

The Maple Leafs are 5-0-1 in their past six games and have scored at least four goals scored in each game. Forward Mitchell Marner has 12 assists during the streak.

Boston will try to end its three-game losing streak. The Bruins have been outscored 12-4 the past three games and have scored two goals or fewer in nine of their past 10 games.

Players to watch
Toronto center Auston Matthews has five goals and three assists during a four-game point streak since returning from a left shoulder injury.

Bruins forward David Pastrnak has six points (three goals, three assists) in his past five games.

They said it
"We've got to be better. The entries are important. Boston's got a good penalty kill so we've got to move the puck, put pucks on net and be sharper than we were the other night." -- Maple Leafs defenseman Morgan Rielly on the power play, which has gone 0-for-6 in the past two games

"I'd like to see us create a little more and get rewarded for that, obviously I think that's wearing on a lot of the guys when you're not scoring." -- Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy

Maple Leafs projected lineup
Zach Hyman -- John Tavares -- Mitchell Marner

Patrick Marleau -- Auston Matthews -- Kasperi Kapanen

Andreas Johnsson -- Nazem Kadri -- William Nylander

Tyler Ennis -- Par Lindholm -- Connor Brown

Morgan Rielly -- Ron Hainsey

Jake Gardiner -- Nikita Zaitsev

Travis Dermott -- Igor Ozhiganov

Frederik Andersen

Garret Sparks

Scratched: Justin Holl, Frederik Gauthier, Martin Marincin

Injured: None

Bruins projected lineup
Brad Marchand -- David Krejci -- David Pastrnak

Danton Heinen -- Colby Cave -- David Backes

Gemel Smith -- Sean Kuraly -- Chris Wagner

Ryan Donato -- Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson -- Joakim Nordstrom

Torey Krug -- Brandon Carlo

John Moore -- Charlie McAvoy

Matt Grzelcyk -- Steven Kampfer

Jaroslav Halak

Tuukka Rask

Scratched: Noel Acciari, Jeremy Lauzon

Injured: Jake DeBrusk (upper body), Zdeno Chara (knee), Patrice Bergeron (ribs), Kevan Miller (throat)

Status report
The Maple Leafs held an optional morning skate. Andersen will start for the fifth time in six games; he backed up Sparks in a 5-4 overtime loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday. ... Smith will make his Bruins debut after being claimed on waivers from the Dallas Stars on Thursday. DeBrusk will not play against the Maple Leafs or at the Ottawa Senators on Sunday. Wagner will play his 200th NHL game.

Stat pack
Rielly has one assist in each of the past four games. ... Krejci needs one point to pass Cam Neely for 10th place on the Bruins' all-time points list. Each has 590.
Thanks given by:
Let's get it.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
I like that they are putting Willy with Kadri this time. Maybe he can get Kadri going at the same time
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 06:39 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: I like that they are putting Willy with Kadri this time. Maybe he can get Kadri going at the same time

I hope so. Kadri did some good things on Thursday night. Feels like a bit of a breakout could be ahead.

A game against Ratboy could also get his competitive juices going.
Thanks given by:
Ok Leafs, no slackers tonight. Just come out running hit hard hit often, score many and oh give Mr Puke an erly Christmas present, hit him hard and often so h knows he is in a real game. Grin!!
"Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government ‘IF’ it deserves it."

Thanks given by:
Did Rene Rancourt retire?
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 07:13 PM)TeaBag Wrote: Did Rene Rancourt retire?

Yes he did.
Thanks given by:
Ahh I see the dirty Bruins showed up to play tonight. Hope none of our guys get injured.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Jim Hughson does naughty things to himself at night whilst staring at his Ryan Kesler poster. Just stating this. No further comment.

GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 07:23 PM)Trevorchef Wrote: Jim Hughson does naughty things to himself at night whilst staring at his Ryan Kesler poster. Just stating this. No further comment.

GO LEAFS GO!!

LOL!!!!
GREAT TRADE - LAMORIELLO FOR TAVARES 
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 07:21 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

Yes he did.

Thank goodness, I thought the arm flailing he did at the end of the anthems was too over the top, and I always felt like the players felt he was a weirdo... I was really hoping this new guy wouldn't do that crap, but he sure did, at least it was a little toned down.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 07:29 PM)TeaBag Wrote:
(2018-12-08, 07:21 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

Yes he did.

Thank goodness, I thought the arm flailing he did at the end of the anthems was too over the top, and I always felt like the players felt he was a weirdo... I was really hoping this new guy wouldn't do that crap, but he sure did, at least it was a little toned down.

Judging by the look and size of him and the amount of sweat pouring off of his brow... he should be dead by next weekend.
Thanks given by:
I don't like Zaitsev at all. But I LOVE him in Marchand's face like that! Nice work!
Thanks given by:
Yep.... I don't like Zaitsev at all. Piss poor D there.
Thanks given by:
Icon_rolleyes Well Nylander is sure making waves out there  Icon_rolleyes
GREAT TRADE - LAMORIELLO FOR TAVARES 
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
I think both him and Matthews are going to need another week or two to get back to normal. Neither look to be close to 100%
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-08, 07:55 PM)shadylane Wrote: I think both him and Matthews are going to need another week or two to get back to normal. Neither look to be close to 100%

Another two weeks for Matthews and a month for WN.
Thanks given by: