Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geoffie: 'You can count on me'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA2iZihPdc4

Smarmy douchenozzle seems like he's either nervous, or trying not to laugh at we peasants the entire time.  

So is he actually attempting to be transparent, or avoiding traditional reporters and dictating the message by cherry-picking questions and responding in a controlled environment? Both?
Thanks given by:
At least, when it came to the question of dealing with the negativity about the team on social media (on the heels of promising to be more transparent) he didn't say, "If only they knew what we knew, but we can't tell them what we know...".
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:33 PM)Scriptor Wrote: At least, when it came to the question of dealing with the negativity about the team on social media (on the heels of promising to be more transparent) he didn't say, "If only they knew what we knew, but we can't tell them what we know...".

Is it just me, or do they seem to worry more about venom coming from the French-speaking media?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 11:48 AM)RightNyder Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA2iZihPdc4

Smarmy douchenozzle seems like he's either nervous, or trying not to laugh at we peasants the entire time.  

So is he actually attempting to be transparent, or avoiding traditional reporters and dictating the message by cherry-picking questions and responding in a controlled environment? Both?

It is completely odd that the owner would hold these little sessions to essentially answer questions that fall to MB’s role as VP/GM.  He obviously feels he need to step in provide cover for an ineffective MB.  Once a person looses the confidence of those he is trying to lead, and the fans, he just needs to go.  Molson is too smart of a businessman to not understand this.  I think how this Max situation rolls out may determine his fate.  I know he has big money rolled up to this GM, but looking for the next French guy maybe challenging, or he has set his sights on someone and is waiting for the opportunity.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:34 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 12:33 PM)Scriptor Wrote: At least, when it came to the question of dealing with the negativity about the team on social media (on the heels of promising to be more transparent) he didn't say, "If only they knew what we knew, but we can't tell them what we know...".

Is it just me, or do they seem to worry more about venom coming from the French-speaking media?

Ah.... you think.  Hell they play a role in hiring choices.  Do you think if they had hired Babcock, they would have been filled with praise for hiring what was the consensus pick of the league. No, no Nannette.... we have boxes to check that have little to do with hockey.
Thanks given by:
I just don't see the whole doom and gloom/conspiracy theory structure you allude to surrounding a pretty straight forward segment of "Ask The Boss" involving answers from Molson himself.

There should be (I don't know if there is?) one with Bergevin as well.

It's all controlled information anyhow. Nobody is catching Molson or anyone from the Habs organization with their pants down, handing them questions they haven't filtered first. I don't see how Molson could be stepping in to bail Bergevin out in a pre-recorded statement.

It's a straight-forward one-way conversation without any kind of rebuttal question. Bergevin could say the same empty words and nothing would be different. Perhaps Molson saying the same empty crap does provide mitigated comfort that the semblance of a united front might?

Then of course, let's perpetuate the French question as the determining flaw that ensures mediocrity for the Habs. I don't buy it as it reeks more of harboured bias than anything else. Of course, that might just be an impression from how those statements are formulated.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:40 PM)Habcertain Wrote:

Ah.... you think.  Hell they play a role in hiring choices.  Do you think if they had hired Babcock, they would have been filled with praise for hiring what was the consensus pick of the league. No, no Nannette.... we have boxes to check that have little to do with hockey.

One of the biggest screwups in Habs management history was, 
as some people may be sad to learn here, a good Anglo lad :

Montreal Canadiens and the Karmic Curse of Irving Grundman
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:36 PM)Habcertain Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 11:48 AM)RightNyder Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA2iZihPdc4

It is completely odd that the owner would hold these little sessions to essentially answer questions that fall to MB’s role as VP/GM.  He obviously feels he need to step in provide cover for an ineffective MB.  Once a person looses the confidence of those he is trying to lead, and the fans, he just needs to go.  Molson is too smart of a businessman to not understand this.  I think how this Max situation rolls out may determine his fate.  I know he has big money rolled up to this GM, but looking for the next French guy maybe challenging, or he has set his sights on someone and is waiting for the opportunity.
Is he really?  Or is he just a trust fund baby heir  to a multi billion dollar enterprise that he in no way built up?  Is he actually the right person to be the President of a hockey organization, or was he just given the keys to one of the family's shiny toys?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 01:57 PM)Scriptor Wrote: I just don't see the whole doom and gloom/conspiracy theory structure you allude to surrounding a pretty straight forward segment of "Ask The Boss" involving answers from Molson himself.

It's all controlled information anyhow. Nobody is catching Molson or anyone from the Habs organization with their pants down, handing them questions they haven't filtered first. I don't see how Molson could be stepping in to bail Bergevin out in a pre-recorded statement.

It's a straight-forward one-way conversation without any kind of rebuttal question. Bergevin could say the same empty words and nothing would be different. Perhaps Molson saying the same empty crap does provide mitigated comfort that the semblance of a united front might?

Then of course, let's perpetuate the French question as the determining flaw that ensures mediocrity for the Habs. I don't buy it as it reeks more of harboured bias than anything else. Of course, that might just be an impression from how those statements are formulated.
No doom and gloom, no conspiracies, we have an owner who for some reason feels the need to insert himself into the running of the hockey business, and messaging. Unless you are named Jones or Melnick ( and we have seen how that shit show played out), owners lurk in the shadows leaving all the hard questions to the guy you paid millions of dollars to. But he obviously feels a need to intervene. With regard to the French issues, I believe the question was “ does the French media influence the business(paraphrasing), if you don’t think they do, you haven’t been watching.  Mr. Therrien is very happy, it made him a millionaire, and he really isn’t an NHL caliber coach, but we had to settle. No bias, life long Montrealer, married a lovely French Canadian girl, just the reality.
(2018-03-08, 12:03 PM)Cal Wrote:
(2018-03-08, 11:40 AM)on2ndthought Wrote: Tampa Bay have a surfeit of talent, and a surfeit of big, PMD. I think Yzerman might let Slater Koekkoek go for a second round pick (he has no 1st rounder). Would you make that trade? 

Koekkoek is a former #10 overall pick, RFA next year, out of options. Dynamite skater, and with the puck, a bit dangerous in his own zone, as well as the O zone  SN devil .

Never cracked TB's PP, but was a whiz in juniors and a good AHL career. Is he just too similar to Reilly and Valiev?

Yzerman would look to fleece Bergevin again. It would take more than a 2nd rounder for a former #10 overall. No thanks.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 02:04 PM)D Mex Wrote:

Thank you for making my point, regardless of background just hire the best. I believe the Grundman link was thu the Molson people.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 02:25 PM)Habysmal Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 12:36 PM)Habcertain Wrote:

Is he really?  Or is he just a trust fund baby heir  to a multi billion dollar enterprise that he in no way built up?  Is he actually the right person to be the President of a hockey organization, or was he just given the keys to one of the family's shiny toys?
I would have thought  the Coors family would have bounced him if he sounded like Trump. Plain
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 02:46 PM)Habcertain Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 01:57 PM)Scriptor Wrote: I just don't see the whole doom and gloom/conspiracy theory structure you allude to surrounding a pretty straight forward segment of "Ask The Boss" involving answers from Molson himself.

No doom and gloom, no conspiracies, we have an owner who for some reason feels the need to insert himself into the running of the hockey business, and messaging. Unless you are named Jones or Melnick ( and we have seen how that shit show played out), owners lurk in the shadows leaving all the hard questions to the guy you paid millions of dollars to. But he obviously feels a need to intervene. With regard to the French issues, I believe the question was “ does the French media influence the business(paraphrasing), if you don’t think they do, you haven’t been watching.  Mr. Therrien is very happy, it made him a millionaire, and he really isn’t an NHL caliber coach, but we had to settle. No bias, life long Montrealer, married a lovely French Canadian girl, just the reality.
(2018-03-08, 11:40 AM)on2ndthought Wrote: Tampa Bay have a surfeit of talent, and a surfeit of big, PMD. I think Yzerman might let Slater Koekkoek go for a second round pick (he has no 1st rounder). Would you make that trade? 

Koekkoek is a former #10 overall pick, RFA next year, out of options. Dynamite skater, and with the puck, a bit dangerous in his own zone, as well as the O zone  SN devil .

Never cracked TB's PP, but was a whiz in juniors and a good AHL career. Is he just too similar to Reilly and Valiev?

Yzerman would look to fleece Bergevin again. It would take more than a 2nd rounder for a former #10 overall. No thanks.
@ Habcertain,

As I said, might just be the way it was formulated that feeds me that impression. And, obviously, the French media does influence business operations. 

I'm not claiming otherwise. It's a huge part of the landscape.

I just don't think that it is the one deciding factor. Life, business, etc. are a lot more complicated than how we like to portray or summarize things.
Thanks given by:

I have zero issue with a French-speaking coach being a 'requirement' (I have the distinct feeling that if Babcock or Quenneville shook lose at the right time, it wouldn't be an issue). Julien, Vigneault and (gasp) MT are all legit NHL coaches. I don't think we've been missing out on any all-time great bench bosses. 

It just seems to me, however, that the team cares more about the bloviating from the French-speaking press than it does the Anglo puds.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 03:05 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

@ Habcertain,

As I said, might just be the way it was formulated that feeds me that impression. And, obviously, the French media does influence business operations. 

I just don't think that it is the one deciding factor. Life, business, etc. are a lot more complicated than how we like to portray or summarize things.
I think we can agree that signing of MT was driven solely by this precondition.  He could not get a sniff of any coaching job, he is just a terrible coach and he has been a part of the predicament we find ourselves in.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 03:14 PM)Habcertain Wrote:

@ Habcertain,

I think we can agree that signing of MT was driven solely by this precondition.  He could not get a sniff of any coaching job, he is just a terrible coach and he has been a part of the predicament we find ourselves in.
I think that we can agree that MT being francophone certainly helped him get his first and second shot at coaching in MON. I don't agree with you that he is a complete turd as a coach, though. I think that, aside from the lesser communication skills, he might actually be a better coach than Julien and better at making in-game decisions.

I'm not a fan of Julien or Therrien's game plans, but they are successful coaches if the players buy into their systems as a whole.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 03:26 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

(2018-03-08, 12:03 PM)Cal Wrote: Yzerman would look to fleece Bergevin again. It would take more than a 2nd rounder for a former #10 overall. No thanks.
@ Habcertain,

I think that we can agree that MT being francophone certainly helped him get his first and second shot at coaching in MON. I don't agree with you that he is a complete turd as a coach, though. I think that, aside from the lesser communication skills, he might actually be a better coach than Julien and better at making in-game decisions.

I'm not a fan of Julien or Therrien's game plans, but they are successful coaches if the players buy into their systems as a whole.

If we're on the recycling train, I'd like to see AV over either Dauterive or the shytgibbon.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 03:28 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 03:26 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 02:46 PM)Habcertain Wrote: No doom and gloom, no conspiracies, we have an owner who for some reason feels the need to insert himself into the running of the hockey business, and messaging. Unless you are named Jones or Melnick ( and we have seen how that shit show played out), owners lurk in the shadows leaving all the hard questions to the guy you paid millions of dollars to. But he obviously feels a need to intervene. With regard to the French issues, I believe the question was “ does the French media influence the business(paraphrasing), if you don’t think they do, you haven’t been watching.  Mr. Therrien is very happy, it made him a millionaire, and he really isn’t an NHL caliber coach, but we had to settle. No bias, life long Montrealer, married a lovely French Canadian girl, just the reality.
@ Habcertain,

If we're on the recycling train, I'd like to see AV over either Dauterive or the shytgibbon.
I'm all about just dumping all three in the landfill.

Recycling is overrated.
Thanks given by: RightNyder
(2018-07-13, 02:48 PM)Habcertain Wrote:

Thank you for making my point, regardless of background just hire the best. I believe the Grundman link was thu the Molson people.

Make your point ?  Hardly.
No no Nanette... we have boxes to check and they have little to do with hockey. 
[space]
This is dog-whistle for the overused HI/O anti-francophone narrative.
Never been a narrative I support, never will be.
Assez clair ?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 03:42 PM)D Mex Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 02:48 PM)Habcertain Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 12:34 PM)RightNyder Wrote: Is it just me, or do they seem to worry more about venom coming from the French-speaking media?

Make your point ?  Hardly.
No no Nanette... we have boxes to check and they have little to do with hockey. 
[space]
This is dog-whistle for the overused HI/O anti-francophone narrative.
Never been a narrative I support, never will be.
Assez clair ?

I’m sorry your past words would seem to indicate you are recused from grenade throwing.
Thanks given by:
If you really think about it why shouldn't we count on Geoff Molson to right this ship. I mean sure he has zero experience in anything hockey related and he inherited the money to buy the team but umm there's that time he did that really smart thing that definitely happened that makes him a perfect choice for this role.
Thanks given by: